News Article: Kings make second round of cuts from training camp

Model62

Jul 14, 2012
Ebert gets a couple more days. He's Like that little quick D the Bruins have.

Maybe he turns up in a couple of years at the end of the season to provide a spark for the club's run for four in a row?

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Ebert gets a couple more days. He's Like that little quick D the Bruins have.

Maybe he turns up in a couple of years at the end of the season to provide a spark for the club's run for four in a row?

Thinking of Krug ?

Ebert is a lot of fun to watch, kid is a natural with the puck on his stick.

I see Ebert as A-Mart's replacement. A-Mart is going to want a bigger role, and more money come UFA time.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
Thinking of Krug ?

Ebert is a lot of fun to watch, kid is a natural with the puck on his stick.

I see Ebert as A-Mart's replacement. A-Mart is going to want a bigger role, and more money come UFA time.

Why did his stock drop so much? He was touted as a first rounder at one stage. Im suprised someone else didn't pick him earlier.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Why did his stock drop so much? He was touted as a first rounder at one stage. Im suprised someone else didn't pick him earlier.

Production dropped and didn't pick up as expected (if I'm remembering right, he had a great season with Ryan Ellis and when he moved on Eberts production sank), and questions to whether his skills would translate to the pros, if I recall correctly.

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
If I recall there were supposedly attitude issues as well.

Facing the adversity of going from prodigy to Mr. Irrelevant could be good for his character development then, which is important if he wants to fit into the Kings' culture. As we have read, poor attitudes don't go over well with Kings players.

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
Cool to hear that Kevin Raine was assigned to Manchester. (Also, Ebert, Forbort, Bartosak). So sounds like he earned himself a contract. Who was it who said early on in camp to look out for Raine?

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Facing the adversity of going from prodigy to Mr. Irrelevant could be good for his character development then, which is important if he wants to fit into the Kings' culture. As we have read, poor attitudes don't go over well with Kings players.

Not mention he likely had some home issues. His dad staging a stand off with cops I'm sure wasn't the first indicator of problems at home.

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013

:laugh: Well, Kevin Raine is persistent and determined. Thanks for the article, Sleeping Dog. I admire people who put in the work. From the article:

"I just went in there with the same mindset I've had the whole time, that hard work pays off," said Raine, the Sudbury Wolves' outgoing captain. "I was the first to win every race, I set the tone in our workouts, I did drills more than I had to -- I did everything that was asked of me and then did a little bit more. I did all the little things and I was there with an open mind, I was there to learn, and I asked questions. I wasn't shy, didn't hide in the back of the group. I was front and centre for everything.

"I went in there and made sure I was seen, that I wasn't going to be not seen."
"Taking a good look at their depth and who they have and who they don't have, and after getting a good look at who was alongside me at the camp, I feel there's parts of my game that set me apart from those players," Raine said. "You've gotta have something that sets you apart."

I gave him some kudos from the rookie tournament in Phoenix as the camp invitee that stood out to me.

It was YOU. Found your quotes:

Camp invitee that impressed
Kevin Raine: Very physical player along the boards, I thought he was very solid. I thought his positioning was sound, and overall played a strong game. Good breakouts and smart decisions at the blue line in the O zone.

And if you look at my original post, it looks like the Kings staff agrees with my observations on camp invitee, Mr. Raine. He was stellar in tonight's game against the Ducks.

You were the one to get the buzz started. :handclap:

Not mention he likely had some home issues. His dad staging a stand off with cops I'm sure wasn't the first indicator of problems at home.

Yeah, Nick Ebert has had his challenges the last few years. I remember him during the 2013 Draft being interviewed about watching the 2012 Draft with his dad at home. Plus, wasn't he a throw-in to the Kerby Rychel trade when the original player to be sent with Rychel to the Storm refused to be traded from the Winsor Spitfires? He took the opportunity and thrived.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
http://www.manchestermonarchs.com/news/monarchsnews/?article_id=437

Rumor was true and O'Neill passed through waivers over the weekend and was assigned to Manchester, not sure why this wasn't reported by the Kings anywhere that I saw, then again it's no real big surprise.

If I recall there were supposedly attitude issues as well.

There were question marks about his work ethic and his dedication to hockey. I think the story was the Kings at one point before he was drafted talked to him and got reassurance that he was willing to do what it takes to succeed, which has been the case as he clearly seemed to rededicate himself after the draft.

Yeah, Nick Ebert has had his challenges the last few years. I remember him during the 2013 Draft being interviewed about watching the 2012 Draft with his dad at home. Plus, wasn't he a throw-in to the Kerby Rychel trade when the original player to be sent with Rychel to the Storm refused to be traded from the Winsor Spitfires? He took the opportunity and thrived.

Was that the case or wasn't it a matter of Ebert not being an overager at the time? Thought the original trade involved an overager from Windsor but Guelph was at the limit already? But yeah he was a throw in after the first deal fell through.

Last edited:

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
There were question marks about his work ethic and his dedication to hockey. I think the story was the Kings at one point before he was drafted talked to him and got reassurance that he was willing to do what it takes to succeed, which has been the case as he clearly seemed to rededicate himself after the draft.

Good to hear that he wasn't a primadonna, that it was just a matter of finding his own motivation to drive himself to be his very best, which he did.
Was that the case or wasn't it a matter of Ebert not being an overager at the time? Thought the original trade involved an overager from Windsor but Guelph was at the limit already? But yeah he was a throw in after the first deal fell through.

Your post made me curious so I looked up the article I was thinking of regarding the trade negotiations. I didn't know junior players could have no-trade contracts. This article gives some interesting info. Slater Koekkoek, the original player targeted to go to Guelph with Rychel (and selected 10th overall by Tampa Bay in the 2012 draft), is a '94. Ebert deal worked out well for Storm.

Sometimes the best trades are the ones that never happened.

With that, Guelph Storm fans probably owe a "thank you" to a player that never wore a Storm jersey: Slater Koekkoek.

So Kelly and Windsor general manager Warren Rychel rolled up their sleeves and got down to work. In early December a deal was worked out: Guelph would send promising young forward Brody Milne and nine draft picks down the highway in exchange for Rychel and Koekkoek.

Sunday, Dec. 1, the deal was arranged. The two teams agreed not to tell the players until Monday morning because they didn't want the deal being sent out over social media before the league had a chance to rubber stamp it.

Monday morning, Kelly went to Our Lady Of Lourdes high school and pulled Milne out of class. The Guelph native was in tears as he discussed the deal a couple of hours later.

Then, things got a little crazy.

Seems the Spitfires had failed to clear the trade with Koekkoek, who like most players had a no-trade clause in his contract. He didn't want to go to Guelph.

After several hours of wrangling, and a few terse phone calls, it was decided Nick Ebert would replace Koekkoek in the deal. Ebert was having a great season, but he was considered a poor-man's Koekkoek, at least at the time.

Funny how things work out.

In March, Koekkoek reinjured his chronically-troublesome shoulder and had season-ending shoulder surgery. Ebert would go on to be an absolute force on the Storm blue-line and was brilliant throughout the playoff run.

ETA: Thanks, Sleeping Dog. Credit to Primakov! then for the article.

To keep this on the topic of the thread, when are the next training camp cuts coming?

Last edited:

Martyros

Allow me to retort
Aug 13, 2005
Holly Hood
Good to hear that he wasn't a primadonna, that it was just a matter of finding his own motivation to drive himself to be his very best, which he did.

Your post made me curious so I looked up the article I was thinking of regarding the trade negotiations. I didn't know junior players could have no-trade contracts. This article gives some interesting info. Slater Koekkoek, the original player targeted to go to Guelph with Rychel (and selected 10th overall by Tampa Bay in the 2012 draft), is a '94. Ebert deal worked out well for Storm.

ETA: Thanks, Sleeping Dog. Credit to Primakov! then for the article.

To keep this on the topic of the thread, when are the next training camp cuts coming?

i'd assume one or two before wednesday, and a couple more before saturday

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Van der Gulik was placed on waivers today, on his way down to Manchester.

This likely means more cuts than just Van Der Gulik too. Seems that sometimes whose on waivers comes out quicker than the actual cuts. I'd imagine we'll here a few more names by the end of today or early tomorrow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad