Dreger: Kings looking for a young dynamic LHD

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
We've been saying this since the draft...Ottawa looks like they have LHD prospects/young players and could use more centers, we have the centers, could use LHD...

Reactions: Leaves34

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Walker and Roy (in particular) are great finds that spent time in the AHL.

Clague paid his dues and has offensive flair.

Anderson and Bjornfot are just solid defenders.

Strand had a great camp and could be another find out of nowhere.

If anything, LA should shed Maata but he is the only other truly vet presence.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Could there be a deal around Sandin and Vilardi? Or Sean Walker
tenor.gif

apadilla

Dec 27, 2007
Something around Brannstrom for Vilardi/Turcotte/Byfield, even it out with picks

You have to assume Sens will likely finish in the bottom 5 thus will likely draft one of those 5-6 LHD who are scheduled to be drafted in the top-10 in the 2021 NHL draft *coughHughescough*

Last year's #35 pick Helge Grans might be enough for Brannstrom.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
We've been saying this since the draft...Ottawa looks like they have LHD prospects/young players and could use more centers, we have the centers, could use LHD...

So Byfield for Sanderson?

I don't see the Sens needing centers or forward prospects - they actually have a good pool with Batherson, Norris, Brady T., and Stutzle.. they also have Formenton.

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I don't think they want to burn a year on Bjornfot's ELC, so they're looking for a replacement, possibly a rental. I'm not sure how hard Blake is actually looking though.

Reactions: Stumbling Jack

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The obvious player the Oilers could offer is Caleb Jones. He wouldn't cost a ton, is very promising, and offensive minded.

I don't know what the Kings have. The Oilers are interested in a promising goalie prospect. Not much else.
Was going to mention him. What's the story with Mike Amadio this year Kings fans? He's looked good in the past, but seems to have taken a step back.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Was going to mention him. What's the story with Mike Amadio this year Kings fans? He's looked good in the past, but seems to have taken a step back.

He just never took another step forwards. He was flat out BAD last year, but returned mostly to the previous year's form. He's got good vision and is stout defensively, but a black hole offensively. He's shown a few little flashes this year that suggests there MIGHT be more, but minus injuries, the Kings youngsters have effectively pushed him out (as soon as JAD returns, RIP Amadio).

He's basically a Nick Shore bodysnatcher right now.

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I don't think he's been awful, but offense tends to die when he's on the ice. He's generally responsible. I just think his inability to stand out like the other youngsters is turning him into a whipping boy.

Reactions: Guitpik

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
There is no reason for the Kings to take on a steep priced LHD unless they think the defense is over performing right now and are going for surety rather than hope. Which makes sense since the defense is super young. But I don't know. I may be out to lunch but I like most of our prospects and what they offer.

Can someone give me the run down on Sandin and his ceiling potential

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
He just never took another step forwards. He was flat out BAD last year, but returned mostly to the previous year's form. He's got good vision and is stout defensively, but a black hole offensively. He's shown a few little flashes this year that suggests there MIGHT be more, but minus injuries, the Kings youngsters have effectively pushed him out (as soon as JAD returns, RIP Amadio).

He's basically a Nick Shore bodysnatcher right now.

I don't think he's been awful, but offense tends to die when he's on the ice. He's generally responsible. I just think his inability to stand out like the other youngsters is turning him into a whipping boy.
That's really disappointing to hear. Watching him develop in junior, this was the part of his game that seemed to consistently grow to a point where he was essentially dominant.

What part of his offensive game is really lacking? Is his brain just not up to speed?

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
That's really disappointing to hear. Watching him develop in junior, this was the part of his game that seemed to consistently grow to a point where he was essentially dominant.

What part of his offensive game is really lacking? Is his brain just not up to speed?
I'm not really sure. I think he does a lot right, I just don't think he's got that drive. He only has 14 shots.

Reactions: belair

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles

He’s got great vision and has played on the PP but there’s just no finish.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

I agree and I was one of his biggest defenders on the Kings forum.

His brain is fine--he doesn't seem willing to engage physically so that takes the slot out of his game. He's big but he's a pillow. He's not going to overpower anyone with a shot. And he's not deceptive at all--so if you can't sneak around in the NHL, you'd better be bigger, faster, stronger, or shoot harder than the next guy, and he's just average at all of the above.

Like I said, not BAD, just not enough. Maybe a change of scenery will do him well--I pointed out that he was a late bloomer in junior and he was in the AHL as well so may happen in the NHL too but Kings have too many hungry kids yanking on his shorts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad