Post-Game Talk: Kings laugh, Jets win 6-4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Nice to see the team get a win on a night where they were down 3-1, and were really getting outplayed. The Kings were fast on the forecheck, and the Jets seemed to go right back to bad turnovers at the defensive blue line and extended defensive zone time as a result. Really have to get that part out of their game as much as possible.

Very happy to see some bottom 6 production as well.

GreenComet

Apr 19, 2022
The good news-bad news of the Jets season was encapsulated in this game.

The good news is the play of the 3rd and 4th lines and the spectacular goaltending. The 3rd and 4th lines have scored a respectable 6 of the Jet's 22 GF. It's great to see a 4th line that does not appear to need sheltered minutes and can contribute more than to provide a rest to the other lines. Helle has been the difference maker in 5 of the 7 games, IMHO.

The bad news. The Jets are a GIVE-AWAY MACHINE, especially in their own end. They always have been bad but last night was a highlight reel of turnovers and bad passing. The other bad news is the flip side of great goaltending. If it turns wrong, and it will occasionally during the season grind, the Jets are in trouble.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Yep -- and that was pretty much all she wrote.

I think the pecking order now is pretty clear, but it would be nice to see someone on that 3rd pairing get in a decent run of games. I'm not sure Samberg is 100%, based on some of the difficulty he seemed to have last night with acceleration and some pivots.
i thought samberg had a unspectacular but steady first game prior to last night.
last year i thought overall he was steady but hard to really gauge merely 15 mins a night for 15 games.
he needs to start showing some reliability with health.

stanley started off pretty poor, but i thought his game was fine against STL.

Reactions: Jets 31

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
No full marks for that win. If they play like that every night, I don't think things will work out... :(

(Although, with Hellebuyck, nothing is out of realm of possibility).

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
i still am a bit concerned of this top-pair for the long run this year, really this team defensively as a whole. samberg also didn't look good this game either. no one really looks good in a game you get out-shot 44-19 though, but thought samberg should've at least been a bit more steady given who the much maligned alternative is. stanley did play relatively well the game prior.
I've had concerns about our blueline for a while now - we don't defend very well.
There have been a few discussions in the past about what we want from our Dmen - and ironically enough, defense isn't always in the conversation (or dominating the conversation).

We talk about puck movers, transition players, first pass, PP QB's, and offense - we discuss new age defensive schemes, how the defensive game is transitioning to more offense.
We rarely talk about winning puck battles, shutting down cycles, managing net front, and the importance of why dmen still need a physical aspect in todays game (to an extent).

If you're losing battles, you're "gifted" offensive dmen will have little opportunity to display their strengths - which are all the things listed above.
The basics of defense has not gone, or evolved, unless you have truly skilled guys back there that are strong on both sides of the puck. We don't have a lot of that.

And I can live with that - work with what you have and build for the future. I think part of that plan is likely dealing with our struggles defending as a priority. Hopefully at some point, we will have the talent to start talking about all the great offensive things we'd like to see. Until then, we need to convince out current line up to also concentrate on being responsible defensively. That can be a much harder sell than asking them to be more offensive - mainly because a few of these guys do not have the skill set or lack the physical edge needed - hopefully they can learn.

And BTW, that is why Stan is being provided the "unearned" opportunity to stay in the line up - he gets it.
He may not be the most physical 6.7 player or the most talented in the league (understatement) but he works on that part of his game and is doing his best to bring that edge. The guys he is playing ahead of, are not bringing that part of the game - at least not at a level they need to if they want that 6th spot.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention the fact that the forwards also play a significant role - watching LA last night is a good example of what a strong forecheck and neutral zone aggressive coverage brings to puck possession. You also got a taste of that when watching our bottom 6 last night - LA's D looks less than elite defending against that bunch and very elite defending our top 6 who made it very easy to look solid defensively. As many have stated, it's a 5 man effort out there and everything looks much better when you see that effort - we're still sorting that out.

Pushing off your post only because you are discussing D and none of this is intended to conflict with the points you are making

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Unfortunately samberg wasn’t better than the encumbent. He really needs to run away with chances not at best be as good as the guy who already has the job.

Reactions: DannyGallivan

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
New Jets mascot idea:

raccon-cat.gif

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Couldn't watch the game as I was occupied but on the highlights PLD and Perfetti looked terrible on a bunch of goals against.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Yep -- and that was pretty much all she wrote.

I think the pecking order now is pretty clear, but it would be nice to see someone on that 3rd pairing get in a decent run of games. I'm not sure Samberg is 100%, based on some of the difficulty he seemed to have last night with acceleration and some pivots.
Just a real bad stroke of luck for Samberg. I think he would have gotten that run had he not gotten hurt.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
So hilarious to see the outrage that the Jets could win this one.

It's Game 9. The Jets have been without their head coach for the majority.

Anyone who thought the team would figure it out in 10 games is quite simply a fool.

As it stands we are 5-4 in an insanely hard start to our schedule with all new systems.

Take a f***ing breath people.

R U time traveling?
We've only played 7 games. :laugh:

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Just a real bad stroke of luck for Samberg. I think he would have gotten that run had he not gotten hurt.
He’s just a very average defence man who has yet to attain reliability. Our other unreliable defensemen seem to at least bring something else (puck moving ability, physical play, etc.). He needs to find his niche.

TommyKillian

Dec 12, 2013
There is going to be a game this year where we play great, deserve to win but lose. Remember this one when that happens. :laugh:
A wise coach once told me that a team will win 1/3 of the their games regardless of how they play; lose 1/3 regardless of how they play; and then win or lose the final third based on the merit of their play. Problem is, you never know which of the games is merit-based and which is luck-based. Which is why you always need to play consistently.

Which is all to say... the Jets were going to win last night no matter what. But they did little to create the good habits we all hope they are fostering for when those merit-based games come up.

Also, LA is under-rated and I've seen them overwhelm a number of teams with their forecheck. While last night was bad, I'm not reading too much into it. A win is a win at this stage of the season.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
I finished watching the game this morning (although I had to fast forward some parts of the 3rd, otherwise I would have been late to work).

Lots to like about it. Helle wasn't his Vezina self, but a win is a win.

7ZIjFr.gif

Off to the desert.

DentalCavernousAlpinegoat-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: Guardian17

FFHockey

Oct 12, 2015
Winnipeg, Manitoba,
Stayed resilient and am paying the price today...5:30 comes pretty quick! Making it 3-2 kept me engaged. Anybody predicting a W after watching most of the first, is full of crap! :D

A few of "my" observations/ramblings for what they are worth:

- Hopefully this was just a one-off for Samberg. Never thought I'd ever think that Stanley was the better option.
- Demelo likely didn't get any sleep after missing the wide open net on that great play by Saku
- The 2nd line was easily the worst of the 4. Wheels getting lots of flak, but PLD was every bit as bad, aside from his PP goal.
- I am a Perfetti fan, but for a guy who seemingly has eyes in the back of his head, he sure puts himself in a lot of bad positions. I'd be surprised if he finishes the season without a long stretch of injury time. He honestly seems too slow at times.
- Lowry haters need to get their head out of their arse...there are still a few around here. Need to tone it down to "just not a fan" :cool: I know his hands aren't great, (nice move on his goal though) but in my eyes, he is one of the few who brings it every game. He is a strong leader.
- Loving 55's resurrection or whatever it is. That's a hell of a lot closer to the old Scheif we all loved
- Helle made the big saves when the team needed him to...might be one or two of those he'd like to have back
- I love the Scandinavian 4th line. They look hard to play against and was so happy to see them rewarded with the GWG!
- Who comes out when 27 gets back in?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
A wise coach once told me that a team will win 1/3 of the their games regardless of how they play; lose 1/3 regardless of how they play; and then win or lose the final third based on the merit of their play. Problem is, you never know which of the games is merit-based and which is luck-based. Which is why you always need to play consistently.

Which is all to say... the Jets were going to win last night no matter what. But they did little to create the good habits we all hope they are fostering for when those merit-based games come up.

Also, LA is under-rated and I've seen them overwhelm a number of teams with their forecheck. While last night was bad, I'm not reading too much into it. A win is a win at this stage of the season.
sometimes my head gets stuck in the early-mid 2010s for the kings..... this team now plays much faster and quick on turnovers (similar to 1st year golden knights) comparatively whereas those kings of yesteryears played much heavier/defensive/physical brand of hockey. same thing for the blues and wild to a certain extent too.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
sometimes my head gets stuck in the early-mid 2010s for the kings..... this team now plays much faster and quick on turnovers (similar to 1st year golden knights) comparatively whereas those kings of yesteryears played much heavier/defensive/physical brand of hockey. same thing for the blues and wild to a certain extent too.
They've been trending younger and faster the last couple of seasons. This is a much different team than the one that won two Stanley Cups. It emphasizes the need to have effective puck moving defensemen. If you can't get that first pass out cleanly and quickly, you're stuck turning the puck over. Our defensemen are spending too much time thinking about where they have to pass the puck.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
They've been trending younger and faster the last couple of seasons. This is a much different team than the one that won two Stanley Cups. It emphasizes the need to have effective puck moving defensemen. If you can't get that first pass out cleanly and quickly, you're stuck turning the puck over. Our defensemen are spending too much time thinking about where they have to pass the puck.
exiting the d zone cleanly is something i've noticed our dmen/team struggle with this year. whether it be passing or puck-carrying. i believe this what leads to those extended shifts of the opponents in our zone and chances against. need to clean that up.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
exiting the d zone cleanly is something i've noticed our dmen/team struggle with this year. whether it be passing or puck-carrying. i believe this what leads to those extended shifts of the opponents in our zone and chances against. need to clean that up.

Absolutely. JMo is (usually) reliably good as a carrier, and DD for the quick and simple first pass out, but there's way too many times still when there's no clear outlet or the pass is wayward, intercepted or iced.

That zone-clearing ability is something that Heinola has in spades, and we've seen good passing from Stanley also for stretches and when he isn't under pressure. Pionk, Dillon and pretty much everyone else has been guilty of poor zone exits this season, while Samberg has been all over the place.

Nik's return will help, but it shouldn't look anything like the shambles it has too often this year. So many plays lost, and so much D-zone time given away for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad