Speculation: Kings Interested In Hanzal

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
You have it right. As much as we love Dowd he isn't that good defensively and he is likely going to be lost in the draft anyway (there don't appear to be many centers likely to be exposed). Moreover, even if we couldn't re-sign Hanzal we're no worse off than keeping Dowd only to lose him to Vegas. I would trade Dowd straight up for Hanzel but that probably isn't enough to get him.

Given the projection of Amadio/Kempe, I would also trade Dowd for Hanzal. Only I'd make it a conditional 1st (contingent upon either the Kings winning the Cup or Hanzal re-signing with the Kings), a 2nd, and Dowd. I don't think that's an unreasonable offer. We only lose the 1st if we gain good things in its place.....

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Hanzal isn't going to make the Kings into a Cup contender though. This team needs the 2012 version of Brown, the 2014 version of Gaborik, and a Williams to fall out of the sky and onto their laps.

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
Hanzal isn't going to make the Kings into a Cup contender though. This team needs the 2012 version of Brown, the 2014 version of Gaborik, and a Williams to fall out of the sky and onto their laps.

.....Brodzinski? :naughty:

But seriously, I think it's all about trades for Landeskog & Hanzal, as well as getting Quick back.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
We're a defenseman and a scoring forward away from rounding out the roster. We get those, and I think this team is capable of making a run. (This is assuming we get healthy as well).

That said, I'm not in favor of giving up any assets for rentals.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
We're a defenseman and a scoring forward away from rounding out the roster. We get those, and I think this team is capable of making a run. (This is assuming we get healthy as well).

I don't think we need another defenseman. We just need to trade one of our leftys for a righty. But we are a scoring forward short.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

They can't add another big multi-year contract for picks and prospects. It has to be another Carter situation, where the cheap young defensemen make either Muzzin or Martinez(probably Muzzin) available for a forward, or taking a shot with a rental like Gaborik. The third option is just wait for internal improvement to do what it does, and hoping all the vets start producing like they need them to, which may or may not pay off in the short or long term.

There's risk down any road Lombardi travels.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008

Nobody really wants to do that but if that rental can get you to that tipping point where you've reached a critical mass, you have to do it. No Iginla types though. It has to be a player with plenty of juice left.

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
Nobody really wants to do that but if that rental can get you to that tipping point where you've reached a critical mass, you have to do it. No Iginla types though. It has to be a player with plenty of juice left.

Yeah, Iginla types are for young teams making a run - you add the veteran leadership of a guy who's "been there, done that" to remind the team to not get too high or too low. Most of the Kings have already been there and done that - he'd be redundant.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002

I think once McNabb rounds into shape we will be fine.

We also have to remember we have basically been missing 1 top 6 forward all year between the injuries to Gabby, Toffoli and Carter.

Gabby and Kopitar both seem to be coming around to the norm and Toffoli should be back for the stretch which totally reshaped the top 6.

Brown, knock on wood has been playing great hockey as of late which will also give us depth and another person for the opposition to worry about.

Our bottom 6 actually looks better with Lewis and his speed down there and King in a bottom 6 role.

I really hope we don't trade assets for an aging UFA to be. The trade type I would like to see would be:

Muzz for an equivalent RHD
or
Martinez for an equivalent RHD. (balance out our pairings now and for the future)

would love to try and get a pick for Purcell, even if it is a late round pick.

I am very sold on Forbert and Gravel in the future. Because Gravel does not have to be protected and would be an awesome free #5 next year we better not see his name in any trade proposals at all.

I am very comfortable losing McNabb to expansion - I actually like him but we are overstocked on LHD. If he is not taken in the expansion draft he would make an incredible trade chip with a team needing a LHD and overstocked at forward like Winnipeg. Would love to try and get Dano from Winnipeg.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad