Speculation: Kings Interested In Hanzal

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
I got that, but how? Send the Coyotes his AHL stats, but label them NHL stats? CGI the game video? It's not a card game where you can bluff your way into winning a hand. Same as when people say sneak a player through waivers, as though it's not an official, documented, league wide procedure.

i dunno, people managed to convince that Dale Weise was worth a damn

you think every trade is 50/50 balanced? are you just purposely being difficult?

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
i dunno, people managed to convince that Dale Weise was worth a damn

you think every trade is 50/50 balanced? are you just purposely being difficult?

I just don't think GM's get fooled. I think they can be desperate for talent of any kind depending on their situation, but I doubt Bowman thought Weise would be a 30 goal guy because Bergevin told him he could be. Chicago was going for a Cup last year, so they were willing to pay a little more for this or that player. It's just simple leverage.

If the Coyotes had no other offers, and they knew they couldn't sign Hanzal, then they would take Shore, because the Kings would have the upper hand. They'll have other offers though, so unless they really like Shore specifically, they won't be fooled into taking him.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
I just don't think GM's get fooled. I think they can be desperate for talent of any kind depending on their situation, but I doubt Bowman thought Weise would be a 30 goal guy because Bergevin told him he could be. Chicago was going for a Cup last year, so they were willing to pay a little more for this or that player. It's just simple leverage.

If the Coyotes had no other offers, and they knew they couldn't sign Hanzal, then they would take Shore, because the Kings would have the upper hand. They'll have other offers though, so unless they really like Shore specifically, they won't be fooled into taking him.

wow ok all this for the word FOOLED?

my god your life must be difficult

sorry for that word though

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
I wouldn't do this.

I bet that we pay a good price for him, after 2 games he goes down with an injury, and in the end he finishes with like 2 points in 10 games.

Also, I don't think C is our biggest issue.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
I wouldn't do this.

I bet that we pay a good price for him, after 2 games he goes down with an injury, and in the end he finishes with like 2 points in 10 games.

I agree center isn't or biggest issues However if we do acquire one we could move Carter to the wing and that could fill our biggest need imo However any deal for hanzel should have some conditions on it based on games played .

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I wouldn't do this.

I agree resources should not be used for 3rd line centre. But if we can somehow get another top 2 and move one of the new guy, Kopitar, or Carter to the wing (likely not Kopitar) I would be game.

Just give injury insurance if Kopitar or Carter go down this team is screwed.

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
I like Hanzal and all, but an injury-prone, bottom-6, pending UFA isn't worth a 1st round pick......

The highest I'd go (in terms of picks) would be a 2nd and a conditional 2nd (if Hanzal signs with us in the off season)......

In terms of prospects, I wouldn't mind parting with Dowd, as Amadio & Kempe are both on schedule to make the NHL as centers in the not-too-distant future. Why fixate upon Dowd if we've got a couple of guys down there with a much higher upside? In the interim, there's always Lewis & Shore. Plus, Dowd might be difficult to protect in the expansion draft, depending upon DL's mindset......

Then there's Mersch, who many believe won't make it with the Kings. Time will tell. It always does.....

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I like Hanzal and all, but an injury-prone, bottom-6, pending UFA isn't worth a 1st round pick......

The highest I'd go (in terms of picks) would be a 2nd and a conditional 2nd (if Hanzal signs with us in the off season)......

In terms of prospects, I wouldn't mind parting with Dowd, as Amadio & Kempe are both on schedule to make the NHL as centers in the not-too-distant future. Why fixate upon Dowd if we've got a couple of guys down there with a much higher upside? In the interim, there's always Lewis & Shore. Plus, Dowd might be difficult to protect in the expansion draft, depending upon DL's mindset......

Then there's Mersch, who many believe won't make it with the Kings. Time will tell. It always does.....

I doubt that gets it done. Gaustad got a first, and Hanzal is better than him.

Hanzal has only scored 2 more points than Dowd this year. We need young up and coming players on cheap contracts. Parting with what few NHL caliber prospects we have for a rental or overpriced aging player is a terrible idea IMO.

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
As I always state, I've always coveted Hanzal on the Kings. But we can't give away the future for him, especially since we're a bubble team with bare cupboards. Alas, it was not meant to be....

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I doubt that gets it done. Gaustad got a first, and Hanzal is better than him.

Hanzal has only scored 2 more points than Dowd this year. We need young up and coming players on cheap contracts. Parting with what few NHL caliber prospects we have for a rental or overpriced aging player is a terrible idea IMO.

I agree,

Stop with the older players, get younger and cheaper.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
love Hanzel but I did not realize how much time he has missed in the last few seasons.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I would be ok with someone like iggy or doan if its cheap no more then a 3rd going the other way Look at how well we did with the philly trade Sutter can get the most out of a player like that

I agree with this. We're not calling up a youngster for the playoff run most likely so if we make a super-low risk deal, there's very little to lose.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
I agree with this. We're not calling up a youngster for the playoff run most likely so if we make a super-low risk deal, there's very little to lose.

Agree we need help at forward badly imo and if they ain't getting any help from ahl A trade like this is the only option imo We can't role into playoffs with lewis or king or brown playing top 6 imo

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
The only way I'd deal a 1st round pick for Hanzal is if it's a conditional 1st rounder..... either the Kings win the Cup in 2017 or Hanzal re-signs with us this Summer. If neither of those things happen, then we have no business sacrificing a 1st round pick.

Now Landeskog, OTOH......

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
Forgot this guy. How would he even improve this team? I get it he is big, but the best he can do is Dwight King like numbers, and that's not even considering the drop off in scoring players experience coming over to our system. I would rather roll with Dowd and Shore as our centers than expend any picks, let alone a 1st for Hanzal. This season is a wash, there is no point in wasting any of our precious draft picks this year for a player that will be lost in free agency or expansion draft.

The only trade that makes sense this year is for a long term benefit type of deal, like a Muzzin for Trouba (switching lefty for righty) or one of our defensemen for a legit top 6 forward with equal cap hits. And I don't even see this type of deal going down until the summer.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
Which is why I mentioned Dowd and or McNabb who were are likely to lose to expansion anyway.

Great then we move them in this deal and loss Hanzal to free agency and still lose another your player to expansion. Your making the problem much worse while not fixing anything.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
This would be very bad for LA. Holy overpayment. Would've great to get Hanzal but the asking price does not make sense for the Kings.

No it certainly doesn't, overpaying for another older rental (turning 30 in a fewweeks) that they can't afford to keep.
One team who now has a huge hole at center and was in a position to contend is the Habs. They asked and the asking price was former 1st rounder Michael McCarron and 2 draft picks, including 1st rounder, the Habs declined
DL needs to stop the bleeding, no more throwing away 1st round picks for rentals...

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
I weighed in on Hanzal recently:

How Can Hanzal Help Kings?

You have it right. As much as we love Dowd he isn't that good defensively and he is likely going to be lost in the draft anyway (there don't appear to be many centers likely to be exposed). Moreover, even if we couldn't re-sign Hanzal we're no worse off than keeping Dowd only to lose him to Vegas. I would trade Dowd straight up for Hanzel but that probably isn't enough to get him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->