Kings hire Todd McLellan as head coach

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
This is terrible news. I can never spell this guy's last name right. McClellan? MacClellan? MacLellan?

I happened to watch some highlights of LA's reverse sweep in 2014 the other day and had a good laugh every time that I saw him behind the Sharks' bench, knowing that he was likely to be the next Kings coach.

All for seeing him get another gig, but how do you justify 5x5 contract?

That's what sure fire top coaches in the league get not guys with question marks get

I think that he got a 5-year contract because Blake knows that this is probably the last coaching hire that he'll be allowed to make. When McClellan goes, he goes, so a longer contract helps his own job security. Putting the organization on the hook for longer makes it less likely that management will step in and fire the both of them in the next few years.

Last edited:

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
He will bring badly needed structure and credibility to this team. Playoffs? They're not even on the horizon, so who cares about line-matching, choking, or whatever. When the time comes for this team to make the playoffs we'll see where we stand then.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
This is fine. McLellan is pretty much the definition of fine.

The only thing is I sort of expected the Kings to experiment with a younger coach like a lot of rebuilding teams. Is this a full rebuild for them, or are they going to try and make this a quick retool project?

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Former Referee 68

Aug 18, 2016
Canada
Funny how with Sharks he was a good coach....Oilers he sucked as a coach....Kings pick him up now he is a good coach again...i see a trend

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
This is fine. McLellan is pretty much the definition of fine.

The only thing is I sort of expected the Kings to experiment with a younger coach like a lot of rebuilding teams. Is this a full rebuild for them, or are they going to try and make this a quick retool project?

Quick retool Blake said 2 year retool. We have the pieces to for sure make it happen . Add Kupari , Vilardi hopefully , Anderson , Petersen , JAD, Thomas , Prokhorkin , Grundstrom to our current roster and it’s not that bad . It’ll be a deep lineup with potential .

Reactions: Machinehead

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Not bad.

Who’s left for Edmonton, Buffalo, Anaheim and Ottawa? Plenty of young coaches but not many proven coaches available anymore.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
He was a good coach until he got exposed for refusing to match lines. He also caters to vets which does not bode well for youth development.
Are you sure he just didn't have the horses for the race? The year he got them to the playoffs Maroon and co were all setting personal bests. It's a very flawed roster that had no wingers and suspect goaltending except for 1 year.

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

PattyLafontaine

Apr 5, 2006
Are you sure he just didn't have the horses for the race? The year he got them to the playoffs Maroon and co were all setting personal bests. It's a very flawed roster that had no wingers and suspect goaltending except for 1 year.

Was talking about his tenure with San Jose. Hard to judge anyone in Edmonton until they clean up the front office.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad