Kings hire Todd McLellan as head coach

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
not sure if you intended that TMac was here for these, but Ron Wilson was coach during Cheech & Thornton's magical year.
Actually, I thought he was the coach but he was not at the time. Finally, he was the coach in 08-09 when the Sharks won the president trophy.
For what it's worth... (ask Tampa).

CookiesAndMilk

Generational Backhand Pass
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2016
Kyoto
McLellan is okay. Not great, not horrible, just middle of the pack and that's okay. Given the lack of proven coach options on the market, hiring McLellan isn't a bad move. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the Kings might make playoffs with McLellan as coach.
This mostly.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Jesus Christ, Blake and Robitaille are not the most imaginative people are they?

It looked like they were going to be--with the hiring of Marco Sturm as the coach-in-waiting as assistant--but guess not.

But I guess a pessimist could look at Sturm and note his LA ties as well having played with some of the players, so meh.

kingsholygrail

Fastest Series Loss 0-1
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Only because they renamed it. If they renamed the Stanley Cup the Phillip Cup we’d still say the Kings won two.
Is this like how Winnipeg is the Thrashers and it's not wrong to call them the Winnipeg Thrashers? Or to call the Devils the Rockies? And yes, they would say they won 2 STANLEY Cups. They wouldn't suddenly say they won two Phillip Cups.

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
I take that as a "yes".

Yes, it is a yes. In the same way that, when you are in an airplane experiencing difficulties, or suffering a medical emergency, you look to experience and don't just try the new guy to see if he has some fresh ideas. They don't hire these people just to fan you and feed you with grapes.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
I think Todd will improve the Kings team a bunch.

Todd is a bit of an idiot when it comes to leading and accountability, but he is a great systems coach and I think the Kings have the players to execute his systems.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Yes, it is a yes. In the same way that, when you are in an airplane experiencing difficulties, or suffering a medical emergency, you look to experience and don't just try the new guy to see if he has some fresh ideas. They don't hire these people just to fan you and feed you with grapes.

Those experienced people were newbies too, at one point.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I still can't get this choice for Todd.

It's a team that needs a rebuild but will they be rebuilding/retooling?

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
It was almost comical in the 2010 series vs the Hawks. Quenneville was able to get the match ups he wanted even in San Jose. Was a huge benefit to Chicago in the series.

I forget the exact numbers, but there was a game against Boston at home this season where McDavid played something like 13 of his 15 minutes of 5v5 against Chara.

Good ol' Todd.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
I forget the exact numbers, but there was a game against Boston at home this season where McDavid played something like 13 of his 15 minutes of 5v5 against Chara.

Good ol' Todd.
Most times you want your top line out against another teams bottom line but in 2010 the Hawks had a 4th line that was OUTSTANDING at shutting down top level opponents. They would never score but neither would your star players (great trade off). Not matching let the Hawks send out one of their top 2 lines constantly against bottom 6 players. Many felt it was a crucial advantage as it wore down the Shark defenders.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I absolutely LOVE this hire.

I'm no Kings fan though!:D

Nyx

Mar 13, 2019
Intai'sei
I don't like McLellan. I have heard several former Oilers players openly criticize him and for a good reason. He's not a players coach and not good at coaching young players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad