Kings Future on Defense

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
If the Kings draft later than 10, I think they should draft Wallstedt. He's gonna be one hell of a goalie.
Wallstedt looks pretty good from what I saw,so it wouldn't be the worst selection by far! Personally I'd like to see the Kings draft more Offense(goal scoring-Wingers) cause I want to live long enough to see them return to filling the Net of the 80's and 90's with the defense of the '73-75 years and Stanley Cup wins when you couldn't get a "pea" past Vachon and Quick!

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Unfortunately the Kings will not get anyone of those because, in my opinion, the Kings will make the playoffs and miss out drafting at the top.
Remember that sometimes teams miss...Mike Bossy lasted until the 15th pick in 1977 because of QMJHL bias and that's off the top of my head

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Between two serious injuries (lower body) the last two years, in addition to the death of his father mid-season two years ago, he's only played 55 games in the AHL and 5 in the NHL. On occassion he's looked effective, but his reads defensively need a ton of improvement. He'll have to really have a good, albeit abbreviated campaign this year in the A to get another contract which seems a long shot right now. Wouldn't rule out the taxi squad, but I think they want him playing everyday to give him a chance to show what he can do.
Got to feel for Brickley

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
If we were in the draft spot, Id easily be happy with Drysdale. Him and Laffrenierre were considered the best shots of the draft. It'd be nice to finally have a great shot from the Blue line. Like the Schneider Blake days.
At the World Junior Drysdale looked like Ryan Murphy...to small even for todays game but in a couple of years with added strength,upper body muscle and smarts...

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
At the World Junior Drysdale looked like Ryan Murphy...to small even for todays game but in a couple of years with added strength,upper body muscle and smarts...

Oof, I wouldn't wish that even upon the Ducks :laugh:

he seems way more mobile with the puck and smarter than Murphy.

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
What happened to Brickley, out of college people were really high on him

I've watched him play in Ontario quite a bit. I don't think his decision making is fast enough for the NHL. He has the physical tools to be a 3rd pairing defenseman, but it's clear that the jump from college speed to pro hockey speed was really tough for him to adjust to.

Reactions: andys

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Getting a Dman with a lottery pick will be great. The challenge is NHL readiness. You need a kid who can step in at 19/20 and play minutes.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

KingTech

Sep 20, 2020
As much as i have been calling for a number 1 defenseman I think a high end goalie prospect is more of need . From what i have seen and read from others our ahl goalies need alot of work and probably won't cut it as nhl goalies. If we are drafting in the teens and miss out on a high end defenseman we need to get Wallstedt . I think the future we need 2 goalies that can compete for number 1 status. Quick isn't going to be here forever.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
As much as i have been calling for a number 1 defenseman I think a high end goalie prospect is more of need . From what i have seen and read from others our ahl goalies need alot of work and probably won't cut it as nhl goalies. If we are drafting in the teens and miss out on a high end defenseman we need to get Wallstedt . I think the future we need 2 goalies that can compete for number 1 status. Quick isn't going to be here forever.

We have some time, fortunately, and a trade isn't out of a question with all our assets either.

There's time to see what Parik, Ingham, even Hrenak have, with Petersen only mid-20s. I'm not going to say it should be the LAST priority because I agree it would be nice to have a top-tier goalie prospect but I'm also not convinced it'll cost a mid-first.

KingTech

Sep 20, 2020
We have some time, fortunately, and a trade isn't out of a question with all our assets either.

There's time to see what Parik, Ingham, even Hrenak have, with Petersen only mid-20s. I'm not going to say it should be the LAST priority because I agree it would be nice to have a top-tier goalie prospect but I'm also not convinced it'll cost a mid-first.

Maybe ur right but i think if ever the kings can go big on a goalie pick its now. I think it will take a few year to develop him So getting the development process started asap then he will be ready when we need to make a decision on Pettersen we have options. It gives us some flexibility when it comes to contract negotiations. I would love to have the option to flip Quick and not have to take a goalie back . Right now we would Also not sure how well we can develop a goalie now that Dusty is gone. Okay so say we pick 10 th who do u go with as ur pick?

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Maybe ur right but i think if ever the kings can go big on a goalie pick its now. I think it will take a few year to develop him So getting the development process started asap then he will be ready when we need to make a decision on Pettersen we have options. It gives us some flexibility when it comes to contract negotiations. I would love to have the option to flip Quick and not have to take a goalie back . Right now we would Also not sure how well we can develop a goalie now that Dusty is gone. Okay so say we pick 10 th who do u go with as ur pick?

We've still got Ranford, and our goalie track record over the past 10 years speaks for itself. I'd love it if w could acquire a second first rounder and take both a top-tier defenseman and Wallstedt. That's my dream.

KingTech

Sep 20, 2020
We've still got Ranford, and our goalie track record over the past 10 years speaks for itself. I'd love it if w could acquire a second first rounder and take both a top-tier defenseman and Wallstedt. That's my dream.

I agree a 2nd 1st would be ideal but unrealistic especially in the top 10 where Wallstedt is going to go. Our tract record is mostly with Dusty in charge Our goalies now under Ranford aren't as good. I hope to be proven wrong with all my heart but right now they suck.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

If we miss on literally all the top-10 dmen, that means some great forwards would be available--so I would think it would be between Wallstedt and the forwards, who could be Beniers, Lysell, Eklund. I think that would be a harder choice, even with how loaded we are at F.

Reactions: kilowatt

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
If we miss on literally all the top-10 dmen, that means some great forwards would be available--so I would think it would be between Wallstedt and the forwards, who could be Beniers, Lysell, Eklund. I think that would be a harder choice, even with how loaded we are at F.

Unless one of the four defensemen (Power, Hughes, Clarke, Edvinsson) are available, I'm not passing on Eklund or Beniers either, especially not in favor of Wallstedt.

KingTech

Sep 20, 2020

I was using this as a guide
2021 NHL Mock Draft | 2021 NHL Draft | NHL Draft
Bernier and Eklund were gone Lysell is rated at 11 so i guess that would be ur pick I dunno maybe we could use natural wingers with our center depth. However i would go goalie for the sake of getting a high end piece we don't have.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I was using this as a guide
2021 NHL Mock Draft | 2021 NHL Draft | NHL Draft
Bernier and Eklund were gone Lysell is rated at 11 so i guess that would be ur pick I dunno maybe we could use natural wingers with our center depth. However i would go goalie for the sake of getting a high end piece we don't have.

See--that's the reason I wouldn't do it. If he's BPA in your eyes, absolutely. But I'm not passing on a stellar forward for a need unless they're equal in my eyes.

Find out what our holes our, trade talent for them later if needed. Watching what Parik did vs. Russia gives me hope that it may be internal already.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
It’s only one game but I thought Brinkley was excellent last night for the Reign and he’s the one I would have guessed was coming off several NHL games rather than Clague.

Reactions: LAKings88

KingTech

Sep 20, 2020
See--that's the reason I wouldn't do it. If he's BPA in your eyes, absolutely. But I'm not passing on a stellar forward for a need unless they're equal in my eyes.

Find out what our holes our, trade talent for them later if needed. Watching what Parik did vs. Russia gives me hope that it may be internal already.

See i don't agree with best player available always. If the best player available will not be better then what u have in that position i would take a stab at getting some one better in a different position. Wallenstedt is a exceptional goalie prospect best in years that type of potential is something we havent had out of a goalie prospect since storr. We have developed goalie with less talent over the years I sorta want to see what we can do with someone starting with talent. The difference in the top 20 picks this year is not drastic difference imo we need to start fillling the goalie spot asap

Rusty Batch

Sep 22, 2010
Cal Petersen is a young goalie drafted in the 5th round and he's been great for us these three seasons he's played (granted a small sample size each season) over a .920 sv% every season. Quick is the greatest goalie on franchise history and he was a third round pick. We also have had some of the highest drafted goalies in the past couple decades on our team in Bernier and Campbell. As well as a host of later drafted goalies that performed excellently in backup roles for us for years.

If anyone should understand why you don't need to spend high picks on Goalies it should be us.

KingTech

Sep 20, 2020
Cal Petersen is a young goalie drafted in the 5th round and he's been great for us these three seasons he's played (granted a small sample size each season) over a .920 sv% every season. Quick is the greatest goalie on franchise history and he was a third round pick. We also have had some of the highest drafted goalies in the past couple decades on our team in Bernier and Campbell. As well as a host of later drafted goalies that performed excellently in backup roles for us for years.

If anyone should understand why you don't need to spend high picks on Goalies it should be us.

I agree with u that Cal is a great goalie and will be for years. Lets not pretend our success with goalies hasn't been under Dusty. Now under Ransford we have not developed anyone. I think our backup success story are more of a product of our strong defensive style of play more then actual development myself. I remember being excited when we draft Bernier. At the time we had some of the worst goaltending in the history of the nhl imo. I don't want to go back to that. With the more skilled forward we have coming its even more important we don't forget to get a great goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad