Kings Future on Defense

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Well, it's a 'weak' spot from the standpoint of we don't know where our #1-#2 are coming from. Depth was never a concern. That's a LOT of swings at #3-#6 dmen, have to pray that a couple hit at a higher level.
I agree. The Kings are lacking obvious 1D/2D players, and generally, these are not the type of guys any team will trade when they are young and under cost-controlled contracts. You have to draft them.

Dean was fortunate when he acquired Jack Johnson, who was at the time considered a lock to be at least a 2D, for Belanger and Gleason. This turned out to be one of his best deals as he parlayed Johnson into Jeff Carter in 2012.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
I feel alot better with our D core with Clague seemly turning things around and the recent impressive NHL start of Strand. Our prospects are still years away and of course Tobi is just so smooth and calm back there.

Still...I get that "what if" feeling if somehow Bryam would of fell one spot. I just think he would of been the perfect player for us to build our new D core around.

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
I think Blake should model his drafting and building of the defense as close as he can to Lombardi's method. I like how Sutter had a lefty paired with a righty (not crucial), but Mac should definitely try and have a vet paired with a youngster.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
I thought Grans was exactly that swing for the fences pick? Obviously we won't know if he's a home run for a while.

Reactions: kilowatt

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I think Blake should model his drafting and building of the defense as close as he can to Lombardi's method. I like how Sutter had a lefty paired with a righty (not crucial), but Mac should definitely try and have a vet paired with a youngster.

As long as he doesn't make dumb decisions like drafting a Thomas Hickey or Colten Teubert with high draft picks.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
As long as he doesn't make dumb decisions like drafting a Thomas Hickey or Colten Teubert with high draft picks.
Yes and No.... Yes, drafting them was a mistake and better players were available. Yet, they didnt really impact the Kings nor did they hold back how Dean built the team.
Dean's biggest issue when drafting was his insistance on taking a bigger Dman/player once they drafted Doughty/skill position, So a SAHD rather than BPA. Some don't like the BPA model, but how can anyone realistically say that when we have absolutely raked in with our last 4 drafts.
Blake has complet trust in our scouting staff and the results have us on a very solid trajectory with a possibly PO birth very near.

Reactions: cyclones22

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Yes and No.... Yes, drafting them was a mistake and better players were available. Yet, they didnt really impact the Kings nor did they hold back how Dean built the team.
Dean's biggest issue when drafting was his insistance on taking a bigger Dman/player once they drafted Doughty/skill position, So a SAHD rather than BPA. Some don't like the BPA model, but how can anyone realistically say that when we have absolutely raked in with our last 4 drafts.
Blake has complet trust in our scouting staff and the results have us on a very solid trajectory with a possibly PO birth very near.

I don't know that that's true. Maybe in the third round or beyond, but not the first two rounds. Teubert and Forbort were mistakes, but the rest? I'm not sure Dean prioritized big. I think we just didn't have a lot of high end draft picks between 2011 and 2016 and it came at a price.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I don't know that that's true. Maybe in the third round or beyond, but not the first two rounds. Teubert and Forbort were mistakes, but the rest? I'm not sure Dean prioritized big. I think we just didn't have a lot of high end draft picks between 2011 and 2016 and it came at a price.
That’s pretty much what happened. The staff was eyeing one of Karlsson, Carlson or Myers but Dean wanted a physical stay at home type and we selected Colton. As for Forbort, I thought we would take Tarasenko but that went to shit.
Losing out on drafting Kyle Connor and trading away Erik Cernak really hurt the Kings as those two type of players are still what we lack.

Reactions: crassbonanza

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Yeah we wasted a couple years of Doughty having him carry Forbort on his back like a piano. Without a doubt Drew had the worst defensive partners of any Elite defenseman during his time in the NHL. That's not to say that they were all bad. He had good solid partners during the glory years. But nobody has had to deal with the amount of babysitting that he has over his career.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Yeah we wasted a couple years of Doughty having him carry Forbort on his back like a piano. Without a doubt Drew had the worst defensive partners of any Elite defenseman during his time in the NHL. That's not to say that they were all bad. He had good solid partners during the glory years. But nobody has had to deal with the amount of babysitting that he has over his career.

This just goes to show how freakin good Drew was in his prime. His offensive production was halted a bit because he had to play f*****n D for two players pretty much. There won't be another Drew for this franchise for a looong time.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Brayden McNabb was booty, Forbort was booty, Scuderi was good, but Scuderi when he rejoined the Kings was really bad. Hopefully Dewty finds a consistent reliable partner.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Mikey is the best partner Drew has had since 2014 Muzzin. Then Sutter decided that he should split that partnership up and have Drew break in every single freaking rookie or reclamation project coming through the pipeline.

Peter James Bond III

CHROMIAK COMETH
Jul 8, 2020
What I like about Strand, he's decisive in an instant and makes the right play / best outlet / and executes whatever play he makes with near 100% success. Not amazing skater,
but pretty agile and strong on his skates. Not sure if I have seen him fall or knocked down. Love the hard passes too. He has this cannon shot and has not even gotten a chance
at unleashing it, unless I have missed any.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
What I like about Strand, he's decisive in an instant and makes the right play / best outlet / and executes whatever play he makes with near 100% success. Not amazing skater,
but pretty agile and strong on his skates. Not sure if I have seen him fall or knocked down. Love the hard passes too. He has this cannon shot and has not even gotten a chance

He hasn't spent much time in the ozone, and that could be why. And it's mostly because Maatta joins the rush while Strand is playing within his means.

loved last night when he turned the puck over and promptly went to kill the dude with a check getting it right back :laugh:

Master Yoda

LA Legends
Aug 6, 2003
El Paso
Doughty certainly looks rejuvenated next to Anderson. But I think long-term, Bjornfot will slot in better in that spot and Anderson on the 2nd or 3rd pair.
One thing I've noticed lately about Doughty is that he is using his wrist shot more especially on the powerplay, and less the slap shot that takes forever to get off and always gets blocked.
Maybe he finally learned his slap shot sucks.

Peter James Bond III

CHROMIAK COMETH
Jul 8, 2020

It seems that Blake fully trusts Yannetti and won't be making such risky picks. I think they would take a defenseman in the first rd this draft, if someone is there they believe
can be a legit 1/2 defenseman. The Kings have been nailing it with the 2nd rd D selections. Although Bjornfot was 1st rd, he was their second pick at 22? and chose him over Kaliyev
and whoever they said Toby was neck and neck with (some forward probably) Tomasino or McMichael, I think. While 1 of those would have been great, the Kings needed some top D
in the system.

2nd rd D last few yrs: Cernak, Clague, Grans, Faber. Until a few weeks ago, was not so sure about Clague.
Then of course, 4th rd Anderson and 7th rd Roy and free agents Walker and Strand. Very very few misses.

Not to forget: Hults rd 5. Spence and Nousianen rd 4's. Meehan rd 5.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
I definitely think Tobi is 1st pairing material from a talent and ceiling perspective. I would love to see him paired with Doughty to see what they could do together. I think we're probably a year away from that though unless Mikey takes a step back, simply because he and Drew seem to work well together. Mikey's already chewing up 21 hard minutes a game. And it also could be a case where Tobi helps elevate Roy and that becomes an elite 2nd pairing. Either way it's a good problem to have. Now I'm just super excited that a talent like Clague is likely a 3rd pairing defenseman (assuming he doesn't get exposed to/taken by Seattle) and he's ready right now but a bridge player is currently in his way. Thinking ahead, I'm not sure a Clague/Walker pairing works stylisticly. I think Strand/Clague probably works. Anyway, fun to think about.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I'm still sticking to my opnion that he looks like our next Philippe Boucher

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I definitely think Tobi is 1st pairing material from a talent and ceiling perspective. I would love to see him paired with Doughty to see what they could do together. I think we're probably a year away from that though unless Mikey takes a step back, simply because he and Drew seem to work well together. Mikey's already chewing up 21 hard minutes a game. And it also could be a case where Tobi helps elevate Roy and that becomes an elite 2nd pairing. Either way it's a good problem to have. Now I'm just super excited that a talent like Clague is likely a 3rd pairing defenseman (assuming he doesn't get exposed to/taken by Seattle) and he's ready right now but a bridge player is currently in his way. Thinking ahead, I'm not sure a Clague/Walker pairing works stylisticly. I think Strand/Clague probably works. Anyway, fun to think about.
I dont think there's a chance in hell he gets exposed. Blake and Co will trade him rather than lose him for nothing. Also keep in mind that both he and Walker can play either side.. Best bet is to let Walker continue to build his value and considering he's locked up for 3 more seasons on a bargain deal we could create a nice package around him.... should we decide to go that route

Anderson-Doughty
Bjornfot-Roy
Clague/Strand/Maata/Walker.. let them fight for it
MacD

Reactions: cyclones22

Kingz4life

Feb 7, 2004
Los Angeles
I dont think there's a chance in hell he gets exposed. Blake and Co will trade him rather than lose him for nothing. Also keep in mind that both he and Walker can play either side.. Best bet is to let Walker continue to build his value and considering he's locked up for 3 more seasons on a bargain deal we could create a nice package around him.... should we decide to go that route

Anderson-Doughty
Bjornfot-Roy
Clague/Strand/Maata/Walker.. let them fight for it
MacD
Agreed. No reason to move on from a home grown highly drafted talent like Clague. We have the pieces to form a very solid top 6 for this year and beyond. It should only change if we make a move for another legit top 2-3 guy on the market or via trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad