Post-Game Talk: Kings def. Canucks - 6-3 (Boeser, Joshua, Blueger) | Wherefore art thou, Demko?

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
There's a pattern. Was it just last game when Miller DID step in to defend Pettersson, but in that case it was Pettersson displaying no appreciation or camaraderie or emotion of any kind as it happened?
What the f***... :DDDDDDDDD

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
i'll be honest. Its 2011 reffing on us again. seems like a punishment for us for being a good team.

Big part of it is that it doesn't even feel like we are getting power plays when all they do is kill any momentum we might have had right before. And when the opposition gets a PP our poor PK makes it feel inevitable.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
smash some hockey sticks and break something. powerplay will Never change. i dont get how come they dont look for backdoor plays. always the same pretty permieter plays...

IMG_6033.jpeg

Hronek made some incredibly poor decisions with the puck tonight. 3 times he blasted the puck for a dump in, one hits Kopitar and LA gets immediate possession, okay fine it happens. Then he goes for a shot on net from near the red line, forwards can’t do anything and forces a hard reset as LA gets another immediate possession. Then down 4-1, he f***ing dumps the puck in again from the red line and ices it thinking his tired forward would get it… completely dumb decision.

He got walked by Roy, a defenseman, in the 2nd while having the angle on him, just completely dozed off and let him go around him for a clean shot on net. On the 4th or 5th goal I believe, Garland made a bad pass towards the middle of the ice that would have been recoverable had Hronek identified his man who he let free near the front of the net. Just no real awareness tonight.

His shot selection has been brutal for damn near a whole season now. Routinely gets his shots blocked or he misses his mark badly.

He has had several of these types of games over the course of a couple months now and I’m at a point where I’m absolutely skeptical about the quality he brings to the backend and him being able to justify what will be a large extension for him, around $7M.

Majority of his production came in the first half. Think he had like 34-36 points through 41? 12-14 in 38 since then.

50 points is 50 points so I can’t discredit that, but he’s being used as a top pairing defenseman and so far he hasn’t been showing that level for couple of months now.

he feels to me like jeff brown, but without the ability to hit the FFFfFffffing net

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
DeSmith. That should be all the content needed.
LA is an extremely hard team to play against from behind.
His last few games DeSmith is overplaying pucks, sliding beyond the posts leaving the net open, almost like it is an insult if they don't score, going down, and he is a smaller net minder leaving the top open and it looks like guessing where the puck is going.

I could dissect each goal but I think if fans watch they would see how on one his pad is protecting the outside of the net leaving half the goal open, another he is no where near an open net, another he slides past the post.

The team looks lost and confused sometimes. No confidence or weak a lot like past years playing while waiting for the other shoe to drop. Tocchet's "staples" seem to be "play to this spot" and some of these coaches have seen that movie before.

This could be the first round opponents, did they break a sweat? The outcome could be different with Silvos or Demko but Demko is only starting skating this past week. How long will he last?

So a lot of conversations in the forum will be around who they play in their first earned playoff appearance in over 10 years. IMO they get spanked. This looks a lot like a couple of other seasons when they made the show unexpectedly, one and done. And next year's team will not be as good.
They go as far as the goaltending takes them.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Outside the recent Vegas game, where they played like shit for a good portion, they've actually controlled play rather well out of the gate in other recent games. Problem is they can't finish early, the special teams suck, and DeSmith has been rocking a sub.-900 sv% for the last little while and hasn't really been making the big saves. I can't help but think if Silovs hadn't put up a .952 sv% against the Coyotes, they may well have lost that game in the third as well.

A Demko return would obviously help with the goaltending issues, but if they can't find more presence and touch around the net, and fix-up to some degree the special teams, I don't see them beating any of the potential opponents in round 1.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
DeSmith is not the reason for the poor results lately. He hasn't been great but the team has issues way beyond goaltending lately. DeSmith is being overworked and I feel bad for the guy cuz his confidence is probably taking a beating.

So hard to not make a joke about beating.
Not the only reason by far but he isn't able to cover up for mistakes and lately isn't making the BIG save until it is too late.

IMO these guys will need a couple of all-star performances from a goalie to get it together again.

And Tocchet has to get his staff on the same page. This mix and matching in every position especially on defence needs to be resolved. Cole and Juulsen played well together on the PK, Myers and Zadorov were lock down defence when Zad first got here, 15 games and only 4 goals against, Hughes and Hronek, a pwerhouse scoring and a little challenged defensively. Maybe spell Cole with Soucy or Juulsen but try to keep two pairings together for more than 10 min. And this has nothing to do with "left or right" that was a smoke screen.

The PP needs a new look, switching Pettersson and Miller isn't enough, they need a one timer from the point every now and then, Hughes isn't that guy but they do have a couple that can do that. Even if they have to split Pettersson or Miller off the first PP unit. So predictable - Miller left hash marks, Hughes on top, Pettersson at right hash marks, Boeser in the bumper spot and whomever behind the red line on which ever side, usually the left, the puck is on. Pettersson HAS to get those one timers off and on net. 1 - 3 - 1 umbrella. They need guys skating through the middle between the hash marks, more passes behind the net, get everyone's attention and moving, picks can happen that way, legal ones don't let the defenders rest. The curse of coaching, you see these things all the time because it becomes second nature to fix them with your own team.

Reactions: TruKnyte

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
He certainly has looked rather pedestrian when QH isnt playing at an MVP caliber next to him.

i think the priority for next season is re-sign him quickly if a reasonable contract can be had, then send both him and hughes to gonchar camp for the summer, all the better if we can bring out sami salo to help

hughes to work on finding the open shot more readily and improving from being 95th percentile in line-holding to 99th.

hronek to learn how to hit the FfFFFfing net, jesus christ

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
i think the priority for next season is re-sign him quickly if a reasonable contract can be had, then send both him and hughes to gonchar camp for the summer, all the better if we can bring out sami salo to help

hughes to work on finding the open shot more readily and improving from being 95th percentile in line-holding to 99th.

hronek to learn how to hit the FfFFFfing net, jesus christ
Id rather he didnt consistently get blown by on the rush and didnt have suspect decision making when under pressure in his own end.

The point shot is really not thst useful.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010

It pisses me off so much that hits like this and the Manson hit to Miller’s head are 2 minute minors to these f***ing idiot refs, while Zadorov gets 5 and a game for his hit in Vegas. Just maddening double standards that show what a joke this league is.

League hates Vancouver.

Been that way forever.

My bigger issue is the complete lack of fight back.

Team is soft as melted butter.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
He certainly has looked rather pedestrian when QH isnt playing at an MVP caliber next to him.
You know it could be his contract stuff. Pettersson got his and the rest ....Even Pettersson finally admitted it was getting to him and how relieved he was to get it over with.

The forums were raving about how well Hronek and Hughes played together and then suddenly Hronek's off PP1 and hardly see's any icetime on PP2 being the 2nd fiddle group and playing with a menagerie of partners. Was that to lower his point totals?

I think they should trade him jus because of the cap restraints and how hard that makes improving the team. This group needs upgrades in different positions.
A 100 point team in the easy season, a first time in a decade point total does not make a finished product. If anything the team gets older next year and just a tiny bit slower. The team needs to be built for the playoffs not to just sucker fans into spending thousands on seats in the easy, game managed season.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
League hates Vancouver.

Been that way forever.

My bigger issue is the complete lack of fight back.

Team is soft as melted butter.
The league loses a market share with Vancouver because of the time zone. How many fans like watching hockey at midnight or later on a week day back east? 7 start here, 10 start there. Ends in one over time, 10;30 here, 1:30 am there and worse the longer the game goes. So there maybe a lot more "game management" this year.
April 11th the game went 4 OTs, from start to finish the game lasted over 8 hours, in the east it ended around 6 AM.

Lack of push back, ya I agree but many fans want one of the only two guys let go, Zadorov. He fills so many spots

Last edited:

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
I have been pleasantly surprised by DeSmith this year... up to about 10 days ago when I noticed him starting to slip; coughing up huge rebounds and overplaying everything, playing small in the net and just plain missing shots he should have. However if I read one more post saying that it will all be sweetness and light once Demko gets back I'm gonna scream; the way this team is playing in front of ANY of their goalies is shameful and a recently injured Demko is unlikely to move the needle much. I worry that if we go to Silovs he'll get shelled to death and be ruined but there is also a side of me that hopes they do just that and he turns into the second coming of Ken Dryden but that is more of a hopeful fantasy than anything else. Happy for Blueger (who really was snakebit) getting the goal but otherwise this was just another typical Canuck collapse. Wonder which one of our stars will be the guy to tell the press "we choked" this time around

Reactions: SopelFanThe3rd

SopelFanThe3rd

Cock of the Walk
Oct 25, 2020
Your Mother's House.
I have been pleasantly surprised by DeSmith this year... up to about 10 days ago when I noticed him starting to slip; coughing up huge rebounds and overplaying everything, playing small in the net and just plain missing shots he should have. However if I read one more post saying that it will all be sweetness and light once Demko gets back I'm gonna scream; the way this team is playing in front of ANY of their goalies is shameful and a recently injured Demko is unlikely to move the needle much. I worry that if we go to Silovs he'll get shelled to death and be ruined but there is also a side of me that hopes they do just that and he turns into the second coming of Ken Dryden but that is more of a hopeful fantasy than anything else. Happy for Blueger (who really was snakebit) getting the goal but otherwise this was just another typical Canuck collapse. Wonder which one of our stars will be the guy to tell the press "we choked" this time around
I agree. DeSmith isn't used to this workload and it's showing now.

However I also think the Canucks always play poorly with their back up in. It's like they don't have confidence in anyone but Demko and play a lot worse because of it. And that's on them. Even early in the season DeSmith was outplaying Demko at one point but the Canucks left him hung out to dry almost every game and hardly had shots on net or goals for when he was playing.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
It's pretty telling when your 3rd line wingers are being asked to be 2nd line wingers with your #1C

Most of this fanbase (including myself) would have expected Pettersson to be the unquestioned #1C by this point and it's not the case.

A lot of trickle down to certain players not being able to have success in their roles or at least hold water.

* DeSmith fully exposed as a #1 goalie
* Pettersson struggling is massiveI suspect that Miller and Boeser go back together because HOG PET BOES is a weak scoring trio down low where most goals are scored at this time of year. Have to believe that Tocc is pulling a psyche game here to have Miller and Boeser fired up at the right time
* Good for Joshua and Garland to earn a bigger role bad for the team
* Points the finger at Mikhayev Suter and Lindholm.......all have been disasters i'm so done with Suter he's beyond soft he plays 30yr old beer league hockey. Wish we could get rid of that contract at this stage and give it to a guy that gets stuck in like Blueger or reserved for a LD to help Soucy's load for next season.

Gonna be a short playoffs playing like we are. Suspect if we can win the division and play Nashville we get a chance to get rolling if it's Vegas or LA were in big trouble without Demko stealing a series. Gotta right this ship fast

Reactions: B-rock

B-rock

Jun 29, 2003
Vancouver
i'll be honest. Its 2011 reffing on us again. seems like a punishment for us for being a good team.

but at this point, I also blame the team itself. the last 15 games or so, they haven't been as good. With or without Joshua, with our without Souchy. They don't look as good as they early on. Certainly, Pettersson can do better.

heres the thing, he's done more good than bad for us in the big picture and whoever steps us as the new number 1 RHD is not guaranteed to do any better in fact, there's a chance it can be a lot worst. He's in striking distance of 50 points, without having any powerplay time,
I think reffing’s a cop out.
They aren’t pushing enough to even create penalties.
When they get them they’re bad on the PP -ranked 12th and falling.
On the pk, they haven’t been good enough all year, 18th.

Both PP and PK need to be at the very least in the top 10 for them to be contenders. Realistically top 5 for one of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad