Post-Game Talk: Kings def. Canucks - 6-3 (Boeser, Joshua, Blueger) | Wherefore art thou, Demko?

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Not just him .I have said it before we have to many soft players on this team.

Team was playing completely different in the first half of the year - would actually be relentless on the forecheck and punish teams with hits.

They seem.... tired?

Reactions: quat

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
While it’s hard to be optimistic right now, I think we still need to remember that in todays league, teams go through ups and downs all the times. All of LA, Vegas, and Edmonton have looked like shit at various points in the season. Certainly not the best time for the team to be playing that way, but it’s not impossible to see improvement in a couple weeks.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
Edmonton now 3 points behind with a game in hand.... yikes.
Demko going down probably cost us 4 points in the standings which is why it's this close. Oilers never get any injuries and will finish the year icing a healthy roster. It's quite amazing how healthy they have been this year.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Canucks are top 5 in most team analytical stats the past couple months. They have played well at even strength but have been let down by bad special teams and some below average goaltending since Demko went down. I think we can go toe to toe with anyone at 5 on 5 but we can't have our pp or pk losing us games like they have.

I do think similar to the poor numbers early in the year those stats aren’t fully reflective of the team. They’re doing well in possession, but their execution hasn’t been very good. It’s something that can turn around a lot easier than if they were being caved in though. I think a big part is they’re not pushing pace and forechecking as well and so aren’t creating the types of turnovers they were before that led to grade A chances. They’re generating a lot more low quality stuff.

Reactions: quat and B-rock

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
While it’s hard to be optimistic right now, I think we still need to remember that in todays league, teams go through ups and downs all the times. All of LA, Vegas, and Edmonton have looked like shit at various points in the season. Certainly not the best time for the team to be playing that way, but it’s not impossible to see improvement in a couple weeks.
And the Canucks are top 2/Top 5 in many analytical categories over the past couple months.

Struggles mostly revolve around special teams with some bad luck and bad goaltending from Desmith. Earlier in the year both goaltenders played well, our pp was top notch, and the team had more fortunate bounces.

AzNightmare

Unregistered User
May 11, 2011
Which means the boys would avoid LA in the first round...which is probably a good thing.

Doesn't that mean Canucks will play LA?
2nd and 3rd play each other first round.
Unless you're banking on Vegas taking the 3rd spot in the pacific... which is even worse.

AzNightmare

Unregistered User
May 11, 2011
Last time Canucks have been good was when they were up 3-0 against the Avs.
Too bad they couldn't even wait until they finished that game before they decided to suck for the rest of the season.

Reactions: Regal

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
While it’s hard to be optimistic right now,
Bro what

I have no concerns about beating the Kings in a 7 game series if the two teams both play exactly like they did tonight

Truly I don't get it. If the Kings want to sit back and have 0 pressure for 60 minutes they better hope they can stumble ass-backwards into a lead like they have the past 2 games. Different game in the playoffs, that's all I'm saying

Last edited:
Reactions: rypper and Hammer79

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Bro what

I have no concerns about beating the Kings in a 7 game series if the two teams both play exactly like they did tonight

Truly I don't get it. If the Kings want to sit back and have 0 pressure for 60 minutes they better hope they can stumble ass-backwards into a lead like they have the past 2 games. Different game in the playoffs, that's all I'm saying
We take the Kings in 5, but I think we're playing Nashville, which will be even more favorable.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
smash some hockey sticks and break something. powerplay will Never change. i dont get how come they dont look for backdoor plays. always the same pretty permieter plays...
Perimeter plays could work if they were set plays and done fast to open lanes. Our guys are slow thinking with the puck, wait to pass until under pressure, or leave Hughes all alone by the blueline. I mentioned in the GDT that the Sedins were able to quarterback the pp from behind the net, its harder for Hughes to do it way out at the point

Reactions: B-rock

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Bro what

I mean the team hasn’t held a single lead in 4 games against LA other than the one OT winner. I do think they’re playing better than the score but while I think LA’s been a bit lucky, the Canucks haven’t shown they can generate much scoring against them

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Wherefore akshually in old English is “why”

As in why would I correct you? :laugh:

So in the scene she not asking where he is, but why is she so infatuated with a Montague of all people?

Nerd out.

• Love
Reactions: VanillaCoke

AzNightmare

Unregistered User
May 11, 2011
Bro what

That's a pretty big if... considering Canucks were barely able to get their only win in an OT and lost 3 times in the series.

I wish I am as optimistic as some posters here, no malice.
Lets hope Demko's return breathe life into the team.

Goaltending is a big key to a team's success.... although I don't like the idea that this supposedly top team needs to rely on a goaltender to stand on their head to win games... it is what it is.

If this team's going to turn around, Demko's gonna have to steal some games to boost up this team's morale and confidence.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Perimeter plays could work if they were set plays and done fast to open lanes. Our guys are slow thinking with the puck, wait to pass until under pressure, or leave Hughes all alone by the blueline. I mentioned in the GDT that the Sedins were able to quarterback the pp from behind the net, its harder for Hughes to do it way out at the point

Fluidity.

That’s what is missing on the PP. everyone is stagnant, and just because your foot speed is slow doesn’t mean you can’t play fast. Famously, Walter would show Wayne as a kid how much faster the puck could leave the zone with a pass and not by skating it out. We as you allude to, are playing a slow game in many ways on the PP.

I have no idea what makes a unit that complacent, if I’m out on a PP I’m thinking “ooh free points if I work”. I don’t get it.

We were incredibly blessed to have the Sedins as long as we did, for the most part in their prime there were almost no set plays - sure they did the drop breakout, but once they cooked they did so with zest. It was truly hockey played at such a high level, like two Kasparovs - move shit around and wait for a look and pounce.

Really that’s how most goals are scored in hockey, off a broken play. And that’s nothing to say of the subtle picks, switching spots, defenseman pinching as forwards, and forwards were always on the ball to cover the point when there was a pinch. I liken hockey to jazz, you have to take what you are given and have willingness to improvise. This PP is more like the Hamster dance in it’s ridiculous, repetitive, annoyance.

Having set plays is fine but our creativity is being stifled with the amount we’ve had. The kids don’t know how to play pond hockey.

Last edited:

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Hronek made some incredibly poor decisions with the puck tonight. 3 times he blasted the puck for a dump in, one hits Kopitar and LA gets immediate possession, okay fine it happens. Then he goes for a shot on net from near the red line, forwards can’t do anything and forces a hard reset as LA gets another immediate possession. Then down 4-1, he f***ing dumps the puck in again from the red line and ices it thinking his tired forward would get it… completely dumb decision.

He got walked by Roy, a defenseman, in the 2nd while having the angle on him, just completely dozed off and let him go around him for a clean shot on net. On the 4th or 5th goal I believe, Garland made a bad pass towards the middle of the ice that would have been recoverable had Hronek identified his man who he let free near the front of the net. Just no real awareness tonight.

His shot selection has been brutal for damn near a whole season now. Routinely gets his shots blocked or he misses his mark badly.

He has had several of these types of games over the course of a couple months now and I’m at a point where I’m absolutely skeptical about the quality he brings to the backend and him being able to justify what will be a large extension for him, around $7M.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
i'll be honest. Its 2011 reffing on us again. seems like a punishment for us for being a good team.

but at this point, I also blame the team itself. the last 15 games or so, they haven't been as good. With or without Joshua, with our without Souchy. They don't look as good as they early on. Certainly, Pettersson can do better.
He has had several of these types of games over the course of 20 or so games to the point where I’m absolutely skeptical about the quality he brings to the backend and him being able to justify what will be a large extension for him, around $7M.

heres the thing, he's done more good than bad for us in the big picture and whoever steps us as the new number 1 RHD is not guaranteed to do any better in fact, there's a chance it can be a lot worst. He's in striking distance of 50 points, without having any powerplay time,

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Goaltending is a big key to a team's success.... although I don't like the idea that this supposedly top team needs to rely on a goaltender to stand on their head to win games... it is what it is.

If this team's going to turn around, Demko's gonna have to steal some games to boost up this team's morale and confidence.
Spot on.
This is especially true in the canuck's case.

Some good teams like the Vegas LTIRs can play with 2 meh goalies, but unfortunately the canucks are not one of those teams.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
i'll be honest. Its 2011 reffing on us again. seems like a punishment for us for being a good team.

but at this point, I also blame the team itself. the last 15 games or so, they haven't been as good. With or without Joshua, with our without Souchy. They don't look as good as they early on. Certainly, Pettersson can do better.

heres the thing, he's done more good than bad for us in the big picture and whoever steps us as the new number 1 RHD is not guaranteed to do any better in fact, there's a chance it can be a lot worst. He's in striking distance of 50 points, without having any powerplay time,
Majority of his production came in the first half. Think he had like 34-36 points through 41? 12-14 in 38 since then.

50 points is 50 points so I can’t discredit that, but he’s being used as a top pairing defenseman and so far he hasn’t been showing that level for couple of months now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad