KINGS Claim Nikita Scherbak

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
That is a really unrealistic expectation for Carl Hagelin. He was never worth that when he was good (see trades NYR-Anaheim and Anaheim-Pittsburgh). Expect a 4th or 5th and you won't be disappointed.

I could see a 3rd if L.A retains a bit. Still a valuable bottom 6 player with some offence

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
That is a really unrealistic expectation for Carl Hagelin. He was never worth that when he was good (see trades NYR-Anaheim and Anaheim-Pittsburgh). Expect a 4th or 5th and you won't be disappointed.
I'd be really happy with a 4th or 5th, so I'm expecting nothing.

Reactions: Basilisk

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Kinda sad to consider the ultimate return on Tanner Pearson as a 5th round pick, but it is what it is.

True. Unfortunately a lot of that is on Pearson...I'm sure Blake would have preferred to keep him and have him be productive.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
He is a UFA so there is almost nothing to retain. And what offense?

so a team up against the cap making a playoff push needing to upgrade their bottom 6 wouldn't benefit from Hags at a reduced price to keep that team under the cap?

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
If they finish 20th OA and these guys had them in the playoffs, is that not misjudging the team?

If four publications are wrong, somehow it is right?

Somehow, our GM should be held to the same standards as prognosticators?

Am I taking ****ing crazy pills?

LOL apparently you are,

You say that Blake misjudged the team thinking it was better than it was, well apparently he wasn't the only one as THROUGHOUT THE HOCKEY WORLD, OTHERS thought the SAME THING about the team....I know..you didn't understand that at first...it's ok.

I don't think he misjudged the talent, I think he possibly misjudged the desire and compete level, and there's absolutely nothing you can do about that until it's too late...

You want Blake to be held to some kind of asinine criticism, 2 years into his job, because he couldn't foresee that the #1 defense would turn to shit, and that no one would put forth any effort.....that's what you want to do, think about that.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
so a team up against the cap making a playoff push needing to upgrade their bottom 6 wouldn't benefit from Hags at a reduced price to keep that team under the cap?

Probably a conditional 4th then, based on whatever. The team gets to the 3rd round, or he plays 14 playoff games, it becomes a 3rd rd pick. Something like that. Win the Cup, and it's a 2nd rd pick. Whatever it would be. Maybe a 3rd rd pick in 2020, or 2021 straight up with no conditions.

You don't get to where the Kings are right now by having a lot of value on your team. If you wanted to sell high on a guy in a bad season, maybe you deal Iafallo, who is 25, and having a career year, but not going to break the bank as a RFA this summer.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
LOL apparently you are,

You say that Blake misjudged the team thinking it was better than it was, well apparently he wasn't the only one as THROUGHOUT THE HOCKEY WORLD, OTHERS thought the SAME THING about the team....I know..you didn't understand that at first...it's ok.

I don't think he misjudged the talent, I think he possibly misjudged the desire and compete level, and there's absolutely nothing you can do about that until it's too late...

You want Blake to be held to some kind of asinine criticism, 2 years into his job, because he couldn't foresee that the #1 defense would turn to ****, and that no one would put forth any effort.....that's what you want to do, think about that.

Must be fun to live in a world where the Kings ended the 2014 season and then started the 2018 season that September.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Must be fun to live in a world where the Kings ended the 2014 season and then started the 2018 season that September.

Must be fun to pretend that the real world doesn't exist and that you can pretend that the LA Kings are on your PS4...

Not sure where you get that from, but hey, you keep on being a miserable shit there....I will enjoy life.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Actually, I take that back, it can't be any fun to be a pessimistic ass about everything, it's almost like you are turning into K17,

Next thing we know, you will be saying that no YOU predicted the Kings downfall of 2015, that ANYONE could have seen it after the year they had in 2014, EVERYONE should have known they would be shit for the next 4 years....and not take into consideration, ANYTHING....no extenuating circumstances, no nuances, nothing,

Holy shit that must be a grey as world.

Reactions: KingCanadain1976

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
LOL apparently you are,

You want Blake to be held to some kind of asinine criticism, 2 years into his job, because he couldn't foresee that the #1 defense would turn to ****, and that no one would put forth any effort.....that's what you want to do, think about that.

Blake inherited a team with 1 playoff win in the previous 3 seasons before he took over, and then his first season they got swept in the playoffs as a wildcard.

His response was to keep all the same players who hadn’t won crap in the previous 4 seasons and bring in a 35 year old free agent to join the 30+ players on bad contracts.

Blake deserves a ton of blame, instead of attempting to fix Dean’s disaster he has just added to it.

And weren’t you only a few weeks ago saying the team had heart and was trying? Interesting 180 there.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Actually, I take that back, it can't be any fun to be a pessimistic ass about everything, it's almost like you are turning into K17,

Next thing we know, you will be saying that no YOU predicted the Kings downfall of 2015, that ANYONE could have seen it after the year they had in 2014, EVERYONE should have known they would be **** for the next 4 years....and not take into consideration, ANYTHING....no extenuating circumstances, no nuances, nothing,

Holy **** that must be a grey as world.

Calmer than you are, Dude.

Reactions: Kingspiracy

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
Hagelin as a rental goes for a 6th/7th
Pearson could have fetched a 2nd last season
These things happen

BallPointHammer

Los Angeles Kings - We're Back!
Oct 25, 2006
Maryland
This is actually his biggest mistake. He saw what he had, thought it was awesome and kept everyone while not chipping away at the cap but rather adding large dollars to a 35 year old question mark.

Keeping everyone allowed their value to seemingly crater.

UDFAs are a great idea. Not a stroke of genius, however. Easier to sign them when there are clear paths to playing time. Jury is still out on them except for Iafallo who I still maintain is a souped up Trevor Lewis at best. That's great for free, don't get me wrong. Peterson looks legit as well but we can't fully pretend that every goalie that rolls through here since 2012 looks awesome somehow. I have high hopes but there are no guarantees.

Kept his draft picks. Captain Obvious moment by the time he was hired. First draft pick has a pretzel for a back. Jury still out on all of them.

He's at the helm of a last place team that he kept intact and, on top of everything, added a large contract in an effort to go for it. I'd give him a break if he presided over a last place team his first year and blame it on Lombardi but this is Blake's team now.

I would of possibly punched someone in the face if they told me in 2017 that WD would be this team's coach.

He has not done one thing that is visionary or fitting of someone that supposedly needed to be hired ASAP so other teams didn't poach him. His best move is going to be this squad getting a Top 3 pick but that will be by accident and we all know that they will probably play their way into the 8th or 9th pick with a hot last 30 days to the season leading to talks of being a contender for 2020.

I understand everything you're saying. It's ugly bad. Over the summer I didn't think they could possibly be this woeful. Between most of the players grossly under achieving and all the injuries, I agree, there is no salvaging this team or this season and it's full on tear down and tank time. You are correct, Blake is on the hot seat.

Reactions: BigKing

BallPointHammer

Los Angeles Kings - We're Back!
Oct 25, 2006
Maryland
OK, with hindsight, blah, blah, blah. What do fans know, blah, blah, blah. So, can we all agree the Kings are a mess? Retool/rebuild has been offered up since the day after the 2014 Stanley Cup parade. Every day from now on is The Day the Kings have to either begin the fix or fall another day behind.

Rob Blake, come on down! This is it brother. Kings nation, the diehards, the normal folks, the owner, the suits, the sweat suits, the advertisers, all those names on the Stanley Cup under 2012 and 2014, give us HOPE. That's it. Do your best, think, work, push, pat, make Dean and Darryl smile a little bit. Make Our Kings Great Again. Sort of a Klingon thing - MOK - GA!!! The black, white and gray.

Reactions: BigKing

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
I don’t think firing Blake is the answer, but I do think the franchise has the permission from the fan base to do a significant roster overhaul and play the youth.

What we have no more patience for is fence sitting, half measures and face saving moves with overpaid vets who suck at hockey in 2019.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I understand everything you're saying. It's ugly bad. Over the summer I didn't think they could possibly be this woeful. Between most of the players grossly under achieving and all the injuries, I agree, there is no salvaging this team or this season and it's full on tear down and tank time. You are correct, Blake is on the hot seat.
I think going into the season everyone expected the Kings to be a bubble team. I expected them to be a black hole team as well, either barely missing the playoffs or being eliminated in the first round. I think the season is going just fine, because it is forcing the organization to stop denying reality and deal with the situation. The only thing that can go wrong is if they go on a winning streak and move up significantly in the draft. The Kings need a top 3 pick in the next draft badly.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Blake inherited a team with 1 playoff win in the previous 3 seasons before he took over, and then his first season they got swept in the playoffs as a wildcard.

His response was to keep all the same players who hadn’t won crap in the previous 4 seasons and bring in a 35 year old free agent to join the 30+ players on bad contracts.

Blake deserves a ton of blame, instead of attempting to fix Dean’s disaster he has just added to it.

And weren’t you only a few weeks ago saying the team had heart and was trying? Interesting 180 there.

Blake absolutely deserves the blame.

I gave him a pass last season to evaluate what he had.

After evaluating what he had he decided that a team which historically was strong with slowing down the game and playing defensive, structured hockey along the boards would be able to seamlessly transition into uptempo, riskier hockey with the same core and coaching staff.

If he truly wanted more uptempo hockey, he shouldn't have kept the same coaching staff and core in the offseason. He set the team up to fail, even if he didn't mean to.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I don’t think firing Blake is the answer, but I do think the franchise has the permission from the fan base to do a significant roster overhaul and play the youth.

What we have no more patience for is fence sitting, half measures and face saving moves with overpaid vets who suck at hockey in 2019.
I agree, if Blake puts forth a vision and begins taking concrete steps toward realizing the ultimate goal, then I have no problem with him being the GM.

He hasn't taken any concrete steps up to this point in time. Sometimes a little constructive destruction is needed. You can't build something new when a rickety old building is sitting on the existing foundation.

If Blake has no vision, or the incorrect vision (this roster can contend), or if he demonstrates the inability to take steps toward the correct vision, he should be fired.

Last edited:

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I agree, if Blake puts forth a vision and begins taking concrete steps toward realizing the ultimate goal, then I have no problem with him being the GM.

He hasn't taken any concrete steps up to this point in time. Sometimes a little constructive destruction is needed. You can't build something new when a rickety old building is sitting on the existing foundation.

If Blake has no vision, or the incorrect vision (this roster can contend), or if he demonstrates the inability to take steps toward the correct vision, he should be fired.

I can agree with this....I think this trade deadline/off-season though will be the one to truly judge him on, not last years.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Right now, Kings management is leadership by committee.

You read quotes by Carters agent about Blake saying he might have to move some vets because of the season not going as planned. And even a mouthpiece like LAKI is ripping vets and forecasting vague changes.

So they are obviously taking steps. But they appear as CYA moves done by a bunch of hacks who are just company men when push comes to shove.

Reactions: KINGS17

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Right now, Kings management is leadership by committee.

You read quotes by Carters agent about Blake saying he might have to move some vets because of the season not going as planned. And even a mouthpiece like LAKI is ripping vets and forecasting vague changes.

So they are obviously taking steps. But they appear as CYA moves done by a bunch of hacks who are just company men when push comes to shove.

Cmon, seriously man?

What steps are they taking?

They haven't done much of anything since this off-season this what they've done, signed Kovalchuk, signed Budaj to babysit Peterson, traded Pearson for Hagelin, claimed Leipsic, claimed, waived and sent down Scherbak,

THAT is what they have done, there is no CYA moves done, there's hardly any moves done at all.

AND THAT ISN'T A BAD THING. Everyone is treating this like a PS4 video game, team sucks, trade everyone and real life simply doesn't work that way,

This trade deadline and off-season Blake has a HELLUVA lot of work to do, finding a new coach, no way WD should be back, and then he really has to figure out some of the roster problems, he's gotta do something regardless, 6M in cap space available, and only 14 roster spots, so something has to give,

He's gonna have to make decisions on Carter, Toffoli, Muzzin, Martinez, not to mention the kids, Kempe, Wagner, Luff, Amadio, etc.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
You act as if this collapse was a sudden thing, that they went from contenders to awful overnight.

This will be the 3rd time missing the playoffs the last 5 seasons, and the two years they got in they won a grand total of 1 playoff game. And you sit here and accuse people of "playing a video game" and wanting to trade everyone based on one season, holy hell man open your eyes.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Cmon, seriously man?

What steps are they taking?

They haven't done much of anything since this off-season this what they've done, signed Kovalchuk, signed Budaj to babysit Peterson, traded Pearson for Hagelin, claimed Leipsic, claimed, waived and sent down Scherbak,

THAT is what they have done, there is no CYA moves done, there's hardly any moves done at all.

AND THAT ISN'T A BAD THING. Everyone is treating this like a PS4 video game, team sucks, trade everyone and real life simply doesn't work that way,

This trade deadline and off-season Blake has a HELLUVA lot of work to do, finding a new coach, no way WD should be back, and then he really has to figure out some of the roster problems, he's gotta do something regardless, 6M in cap space available, and only 14 roster spots, so something has to give,

He's gonna have to make decisions on Carter, Toffoli, Muzzin, Martinez, not to mention the kids, Kempe, Wagner, Luff, Amadio, etc.
[/QUOTE]

Have you considered not being patronizing and telling everyone who feels change is due that it's not a video game?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad