GDT: Kings @ Caps 7PM

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
Sutter's post game interview "a lot of guys haven't played in this building. This building has a lot of energy It's a good building to come in to.

Nice to hear that the fans are a big part of the game.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
How do you guys see Orlov's upside potential?

is he better than Voynov?

Bigger shot, but not as creative with the puck, and Voynov's a better skater. I also think Orlov's a bit more physical.

I think they have similar upsides, though Voynov is closer to his.

Now if the Caps will just get a real defensive coach in here to develop him...

Caps2Fan

Jan 6, 2014
Sutter's post game interview "a lot of guys haven't played in this building. This building has a lot of energy It's a good building to come in to.

Nice to hear that the fans are a big part of the game.

That's funny, I've always thought the Caps fans were pretty weak. We are season ticket holders, so I've been to roughly 2/3 of the home games, and the crowd rarely seems in to it. Every single time the jumbotron says "Make some noise", the place is dead SILENT.

Of course, while we are playing well the crowd is in to it, but when they need a boost during a rough stretch the crowd is not there.

Unfortunately, I did not get to go to the Kings game tonight. Maybe, since we have been playing better lately, things are different inside the Verizon Center.

ryan519*

That's funny, I've always thought the Caps fans were pretty weak. We are season ticket holders, so I've been to roughly 2/3 of the home games, and the crowd rarely seems in to it. Every single time the jumbotron says "Make some noise", the place is dead SILENT.

Of course, while we are playing well the crowd is in to it, but when they need a boost during a rough stretch the crowd is not there.

Unfortunately, I did not get to go to the Kings game tonight. Maybe, since we have been playing better lately, things are different inside the Verizon Center.

I have to disagree, especially when it comes to the playoffs. I don't know about you, but i loved hearing the crowd absolutely roaring when green scored the overtime goal against the rangers in game 2 last year. i remember it was so loud it drowned out doc emrick's voice

here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHA60SNNfws

maybe its just me, but i dont remember hearing other fanbases get quite that loud, at least not in the first round. not even the bruins fanbase seemed to get as loud as that when they made that insane game 7 comeback

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
How do you guys see Orlov's upside potential?

is he better than Voynov?

Not sure all that many caps here have seen enough of Voynov to make a good comparison. That said he's been getting better all season long which one wants to see from a young dman. Plus he pass the eye test pulling some elite moves in games.

ryan519*

this is one of those games where it sucks to have such a big break in between because i want to see us rebound and win soundly so bad. now im gonna have this **** game stuck in my head for the next 3 days

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
However, the long break gives other teams the chance to catch up in games played. I like the Caps going into the final push knowing with greater certainty what they need to do and with whom they're truly competing.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

The building was as loud as I've heard it all year on the tying goal, but yes, overall this season, you can tell the fans are jaded. No where near as enthusiastic. Tonight was a good night because of the quick start so it was strong until they puked all over themselves in the 3rd.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
The way I saw it tonight:

+++Alzner. Played great, as usual.
++Orlov. He made a couple of mistakes, but was downright dangerous at times. I absolutely love his one man breakouts.
++Ovechkin. Finally looked dangerous, even at even strength. Funny how when he switches over to LW during the course of the game, he instantly becomes dangerous again. :sarcasm: *** Oates...
+Green. He played really well, in all ends of the rink.

--Wey. My god he was terrible. Possibly cost us the season with that brutal turnover in the 3rd.
-Halak. Wasn't overly impressed tonight. Why do our goalies always suck so bad in the shootout too? I'd still stick with him for the remainder of the season, though.
aaaand Oates garbage system struck again. Thanks, Adam.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
My internet connection was up and down last night so I couldnt see the game, tough with the loss. What happend to Backis? is he out for more games?

terranraida

#RyanGetzlafIsASaint
Feb 27, 2014
Richmond, VA
Kuznetsov is a ******* machine. And I had already written the game off with one minute left, and lo and behold, Kuznetsov saves the day, giving us a hard earned point, when we are fighting hard for each.

Great game, shame about the shoot out though.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
seeing kuznetsov, fehr, and ovechkin out there in the last minute gives me the brilliant line idea of:

kuznetsov-fehr-ovechkin
johansson-backstrom-brouwer
chimera-beagle-ward
penner-brown-wilson

fehr did look good next to OV awile back with grabo.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Tough game but they played hard and never gave up. Got some breaks and didn't get some. All the goals were strange from both sides. I don't think I am going to blame either goalie on the majority of those.

Wey had a very tough game but thats to be expected. He's just a kid. As is Orlov...and Carlson and Alzner.. and Green is not a seasoned grizzled vet himself just yet. Hillen the same.

Losing Backstrom, Brouwer and Brown for stretches did us no favors. I hope Backstrom's alright.

No Grabovski, Laich, Backstrom, Hillen and Erskine is not good. Say what you want about #4 but I'd rather have him on the 3rd pair than kids like Wey and Carrick. At least a healthy #4.

Just happy Brown and Brouwer came back.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Oates is an idiot.

We all know this, it just needs to be said again. That said.

Overloaded at RW all year, Ovi getting LW forays randomly during games shows that teams are not geared up to stopping his old move any more.

Oates is such a stiff Ovi is likely driving down LW at his own accord.

Oates should play Ovi at LW at least for a few shifts every game. Test the RD waters especially if they have a puppy out there. Attack him!

Ovi/Kuz/Fehr-fehr/kuz-kuz/fehr/Ovi Yes get the kid a shift at C.
MJ-Grab/Back-brouwer
chimera-beagle-ward
penner-brown-wilson

Peanut Butter and Willy have looked good. They have some beef.

Last edited:

dcsfanatic

Dec 19, 2006
This game was actually lost in the first.

After it was 2-0, they had numerous odd man rushes developing, but their bad passing ruined them.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Also is it just me or did LA look like a team from the Norris division circa 1988?

The clutched and grabbed the whole game figuring the refs couldn't call everything.

At one point I saw Brouwer and another Cap get the sticks slashed out of their hands 3x on one shift and no calls.

I'll have to watch it again but while the Doughty hit on 19 was clean it appeared to be interference to me at a glance. Most everytime we dumped it in the immediate D would always impede our forchecker late.

Kings really bringing back clutch and grab.

Loved Fehr talkin smack to Richards for embellishing that last penalty. There was no penalty that I saw on replay. Richards grabbed Carlson's stick after 74 lift check. Carter pulling a Ribeiro and following ref around but didn't get unsportsmanlike. Ribs would have totally got a double minor for that last year! haha

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
It was Fehr's indecisiveness that caused it he started to go hard after the puck below the goal line and then threw a check to just throw a check.

The Fehr-hater rears his head several times in this one. How'd you like his play on the game tying last minute goal?

terranraida

#RyanGetzlafIsASaint
Feb 27, 2014
Richmond, VA
No Grabovski, Laich, Backstrom, Hillen and Erskine is not good. Say what you want about #4 but I'd rather have him on the 3rd pair than kids like Wey and Carrick. At least a healthy #4.

QUOTE]

I'm hoping they all come back very soon. Poor Grabovski, he's been injured so long this season.

Marshall

A ribbon reflector
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
Orlov is an interesting player. I don't get the feeling he'll ever be the best at d, but I think he can get to 'good enough' level, as long as his offense develops to 'pretty darn good' level. (Keep in mind these are technical terms.)

I like the fact that he seems to have a bit of a temper, and brings some physicality with it. That leads to mistakes sometimes, but I prefer errors of commission as opposed to omission. Add to that the fact that he seemed to want a trade, and now has resigned for a reasonable rate, and I think he's in DC for good, and can be part of a productive top 6, as long as he isn't asked to do too much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad