Rumor: Kings-Canucks talking possible Garland trade

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Grans is the type of D prospect we're looking for but I'm not really comfortable with moving Garland for him, Boeser for Grans seems much more fair.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
boeser for grans. l.a adds a pick like a 2nd. if they arent parting with their first. no to trading garland.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Helge Grans looked great in the AHL last night… probably the best Reign D man I’ve seen on that team in years.
I guess you've missed D man Jordan Spence this season with 42 pts in 46 AHL games on the Reign this year as a rookie pro. He's up with the Kings right now (and does not look out of place) due to the Kings blue line being completely decimated with injury (Doughty, Roy, Walker, Anderson and Bjornfot are out).

Anyway, Grans at only 19 with size has some good potential. He can skate, has some offensive skills, 6'3", but he's probably 2 years out. He's a work in progress on defense, but he definitely has NHL possibilities. Kings needs scoring help, and are absolutely stacked on the right side with D men prospects (Durzi is graduating, Spence, Grans, Clarke and Faber), so this is a swap that could work out for both teams. Kings would have to add, but they won't trade their first, I imagine the offer is Grans and a 2nd. Nucks new management I'd imagine wants to clear CAP space to sign Boeser (just my take). Vancouver doesn't have a 2nd round pick this year either, so it makes some sense.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
I would think something like Vilradi/Kupari and Grens gets it done

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
Kings needs scoring help, and are absolutely stacked on the right side with D men prospects (Durzi is graduating, Spence, Grans, Clarke and Faber),
Yea, I think this is why its happening. Canucks are depserate for rhd prospects or young nhl ready. Its probably going to be more than 1 rhd though. Prices are high, and i dont think 1 prospect gets you garland with multi years left at his hit
Dont think Clarke is in the conversation, but more like Grans, and faber. Or a current rhd with term like bjornfoot/roy + another as Kings are probably looking to dump one of them for one of their younger rhd on a elc

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
I'd push for Grans, 1st. We could take a contract back, but LA doesn't really have anything that needs to go out.

The next two games are make or break for the Canucks I think. Win them both, we probably have a real quiet deadline. Lose them both, and I think we sell on one of Boeser or Garland.

According to Elliotte Friedman Kings do not want to give their first for Garland.

32 Thoughts: The Podcast | Podcasts - Sportsnet.ca

Trade brewing Canucks and Kings - HockeyFeed

Reactions: deaderhead28

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
Trading Garland is philosophically inconsistent with everything JR/Allvin have said. With that being said, would I be surprised if he’s traded? No, because most NHL executives are brain dead dinosaurs and our new front office hasn’t done anything to earn my trust at this point.

JR has said he doesn’t want to do a rebuild. That means he wants to try to contend with the core of Pettersson/Hughes/Demko/Miller/Horvat/ etc. Thats fine I have no issue with that. My issue is that if you’re trying to contend in the next 5 years, why the f*** are you trading Garland?

Let me ask this as a very simple question: do the Canucks need more 26 year olds signed to great contracts who drive play and score at an elite level 5 on 5 or do they need less players like that? This is an easy question with a no brainer answer. Therefore any talk of trading Garland is very concerning to me with regards to the ability of this front office to evaluate talent and the needs of the team.

If you’re so desperate for help on D (and we are), trade Boeser instead. He will cost more and produce less than Garland. How is this even a conversation? It’s so obvious.
With the last paragraph, I wonder if either they've tried and there's no market or they have multiple irons in the fire, one with Boeser and one with Garland and see which deal they like most

apocalypse

Dean Lombardi's Yes Man
Mar 20, 2017
Los Angeles
I'd push for Grans, 1st. We could take a contract back, but LA doesn't really have anything that needs to go out.

The next two games are make or break for the Canucks I think. Win them both, we probably have a real quiet deadline. Lose them both, and I think we sell on one of Boeser or Garland.
Athanasiou could be moved. Serviceable player. Can snipe.

Reactions: kinghock

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
boeser for grans. l.a adds a pick like a 2nd. if they arent parting with their first. no to trading garland.

Did anybody is saying Kings want Boeser?

Vancouver can have a pleasure signing him for new contract.

According to Elliotte Friedman Kings wants Garland and not Boeser.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
I guess you've missed D man Jordan Spence this season with 42 pts in 46 AHL games on the Reign this year as a rookie pro. He's up with the Kings right now (and does not look out of place) due to the Kings blue line being completely decimated with injury (Doughty, Roy, Walker, Anderson and Bjornfot are out).

Anyway, Grans at only 19 with size has some good potential. He can skate, has some offensive skills, 6'3", but he's probably 2 years out. He's a work in progress on defense, but he definitely has NHL possibilities. Kings needs scoring help, and are absolutely stacked on the right side with D men prospects (Durzi is graduating, Spence, Grans, Clarke and Faber), so this is a swap that could work out for both teams. Kings would have to add, but they won't trade their first, I imagine the offer is Grans and a 2nd. Nucks new management I'd imagine wants to clear CAP space to sign Boeser (just my take). Vancouver doesn't have a 2nd round pick this year either, so it makes some sense.

I'm fine with that for Boeser but not Garland, their similar level players. Garland signed at a good contract is worth more than Grans and a late 2nd rounder.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
Did anybody is saying Kings want Boeser?

Vancouver can have a pleasure signing him for new contract.

According to Elliotte Friedman Kings wants Garland and not Boeser.

I think id prefer Boeser to Garland if he could be signed to a decent contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad