Confirmed with Link: Kings aquire Bishop, 2017 5th rd pk for Budaj , Erik Cernak, 7th & cond pick

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Can you name the last second round pick this team selected who turned into a player?

Not that I think Cernak is an amazing prospect, but it shows how his selection was either a poor choice (and the team gave up on him).

The biggest concern with this team is scoring goals, and Lombardi has wasted a potential asset on another UFA rental, one who may serve as a backup.

Asset management, drafting and decision making by management has been highly questionable for some time now. This just further adds to Lombardi's short sighted decisions.

You're overreacting quite a bit to a minor trade three days before the deadline.

AKAY47

Bring back Dean Lombardi!!!
Feb 27, 2009
Ottawa
Haven't posted in here all year but I have to get some thoughts off my chest and where better to rant than here.

This has to be Lombardi's last year, there's no way he stays past. I love what he's done, I mean, by far the best GM we've ever had and I've been a major supporter of his from the beginning. Enough is enough; time to move on.

The Mike Richards and Jeff Carter trades helped us massively in the 2 stanley cups but what the **** is he doing lately? This is the THIRD trade in the past 2 years he's dealt a high-prospect defenseman for an expiring contract.

McKeown dealt for Sekera (signed with Edmonton)
Colin Miller dealt for Lucic (signed with Edmonton)

Roland Mckeown was a 2nd round pick
Colin Miller was a 5th round pick but played so well for the Monarchs when he was there.

Okay, sure, we have LaDue, Forbort, Gravel, Clague and others but I'd much rather use Cernak in a trade for a forward - Not a backup G, who we clearly won't re-sign at the end of the year. And why make this deal now and not earlier?

From what I've read from Mayor and Dennis Bernstein, Lombardi's contract is up this off-season and he'll be let go. Should've happened to Sutter last summer, imo. Time to move on from both of them. Thank you so much from what you've done, like I said, best coach & GM in franchise history but enough is enough.

123slam

Dec 28, 2006
This is definitely part of something bigger. Less than 3 days to find out!

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I don't get what's bad about the deal. In theory, they get the better goalie. They get the higher pick. If the conditions are met, who cares what the other pick is. Cernak, well it'll go either way right? If ends up as nothing, Lombardi made a bad pick. If he ends up as something, Lombardi made a bad deal.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
I think something else is coming down.

Doesn't make sense for Tampa to retain $1,190,000. The Kings still have over $3,100,000 in deadline space. If this was the only trade, there would have been no need for Tampa to retain and thus have the Kings pay more for that retention.

there has to be something else.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
The Sky Is Falling lmao! :popcorn:

Let's see what DL is up to til Wed before the end of the world riots lol

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
OK, I'll be 100% honest, I got Cernak and Clague mixed-up. So while it still makes no sense, it's no where near as bad as I originally thought

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
The Mike Richards and Jeff Carter trades helped us massively in the 2 stanley cups but what the **** is he doing lately? This is the THIRD trade in the past 2 years he's dealt a high-prospect defenseman for an expiring contract.

McKeown dealt for Sekera (signed with Edmonton)
Colin Miller dealt for Lucic (signed with Edmonton)

Roland Mckeown was a 2nd round pick
Colin Miller was a 5th round pick but played so well for the Monarchs when he was there.

Okay, sure, we have LaDue, Forbort, Gravel, Clague and others but I'd much rather use Cernak in a trade for a forward - Not a backup G, who we clearly won't re-sign at the end of the year. And why make this deal now and not earlier?

Maybe Cernak doesn't have a ton of value? But that would be a bad pick then. But Futa is the head scout. He's the guy people wish was the next GM. Hmm.

Have you seen what McKeown is doing this year? Basically nothing. Miller hasn't been a top 4 guy for Boston yet. Certainly not consistently.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I think something else is coming down.

Doesn't make sense for Tampa to retain $1,190,000. The Kings still have over $3,100,000 in deadline space. If this was the only trade, there would have been no need for Tampa to retain and thus have the Kings pay more for that retention.

there has to be something else.

100% with you here. There's more to come.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I'm not opposed at all to the Kings trading away more future assets to go for it all RIGHT NOW.

So if this move is in conjunction with more/bigger moves coming, then I like it. However, if this is the only significant move they make, then I'm opposed.

Go all in, or don't go at all.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Maybe they can trade a 1st for Patrick Sharp and swap Kale Clague for Jerome Iginla.

:laugh:

a backup, a last round pick, and a prospect you hate for a HIGHER pick and a legit #1 vezina finalist goalie is a LONG way from this.

I'm bummed about Cernak, I liked him, but how many prospect D can we have?

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Does Bishop count as a player lost to expansion if Vegas takes him?

Yes. If they are able to negotiate a contract with him during the window prior to the expansion draft taking place, he would then count as the selection from LA.

I think maybe Deano had an eye on this as an option going forward. Vegas probably has some interest in Bishop so it becomes another option if Vegas does indeed sign him. We'll see what happens in June.

Atleast we got a 5th, is it conditional?

I won't pretend to make an observation on Cernak as I have yet to see him play so hopefully someone else with some knowledge on his game will chime in.

Budaj did one heck of a job, hat tip to him and good luck in Tampa.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
Yes. If they are able to negotiate a contract with him during the window prior to the expansion draft taking place, he would then count as the selection from LA.

I think maybe Deano had an eye on this as an option going forward. Vegas probably has some interest in Bishop so it becomes another option if Vegas does indeed sign him. We'll see what happens in June.

Atleast we got a 5th, is it conditional?

I won't pretend to make an observation on Cernak as I have yet to see him play so hopefully someone else with some knowledge on his game will chime in.

Budaj did one heck of a job, hat tip to him and good luck in Tampa.

That makes more sense then. Trade isn't looking as bad as I initially thought. I agree, I know nothing about Cernak. Could he be a replacement for Muzzin/Martinez when their contracts run out? I don't know that.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
:laugh:

a backup, a last round pick, and a prospect you hate for a HIGHER pick and a legit #1 vezina finalist goalie is a LONG way from this.

I'm bummed about Cernak, I liked him, but how many prospect D can we have?

Just like in baseball, they say you can never have enough pitching, I'd say in hockey, you can never have enough prospects on the back end. It's such a hard position to try to get top end defenseman and it's very difficult to trade for them so it's always good to have an arsenal of them to see if you can have one or two work out for you. See Anaheim, they are loaded and I'm sure it's envious to many rival clubs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad