Confirmed with Link: Kings aquire Bishop, 2017 5th rd pk for Budaj , Erik Cernak, 7th & cond pick

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
TB fan checking in. I think you guys are going to be surprised at just how good Ben Bishop is, and how much better he makes the team in front of him. Even with all the attention he's gotten lately, he's still one of the best kept secrets in the league. An absolute general in the crease.

Congrats and good luck.

Don't think anyone doubts his ability, but it just seems odd that we are making a deal now as opposed to earlier in the season. We just got Quick back and Budaj has exceeded all expectations so it would make sense to run Quick and Budaj rest of the year. I think most of us are puzzled as to why were are getting rid of assets for a guy we have no hope of resigning.

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
2013 - 1st pick and 2nd round prospect traded, 3rd round pick wasting away in Russia
2014 - 2nd round pick traded
2015 - 1st rouND pick and 2nd round prospect traded
2016 - 1st round pick traded. 4 picks overall

Somebody hold me.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
Islander fan coming in peace. Don't know much about Cernak, can someone give a brief explanation on his game?

Scottkmlps

Aug 25, 2003
Ladysmith, BC
Visit site
Insurance for Quick, who looked like his old form last game but has only played around 5+ periods of NHL hockey this season, and add in Budaj's play of late, and this makes sense.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Don't think anyone doubts his ability, but it just seems odd that we are making a deal now as opposed to earlier in the season. We just got Quick back and Budaj has exceeded all expectations so it would make sense to run Quick and Budaj rest of the year. I think most of us are puzzled as to why were are getting rid of assets for a guy we have no hope of resigning.

The other puzzling thing about this is why are we having Tampa retaining 20%. The Kings have enough cap space as it is

With the cap space, you could be planning more moves. It's not an issue for us, given we're not planning to load up or anything this year.

I'm not sure why Kings fans are upset though. Is Cernak a legit prospect? I don't know anything about him.

For the record though, you should be happy that TB fans are losing their minds about how we got robbed. ;)

kingskring

Dec 3, 2012
LOS ANGELES - The Los Angeles Kings have acquired goaltender Ben Bishop and a fifth-round pick in the 2017 NHL Draft from the Tampa Bay Lightning in exchange for goaltender Peter Budaj , defenseman Erik Cernak, a seventh-round pick in the 2017 NHL Draft and a conditional pick in the 2017 NHL Draft, Kings President/General Manager Dean Lombardi announced today.

Bishop, 30 (born Nov. 21, 1986), has played in 32 games with the Lightning this year, posting a 16-12-3 record, a 2.55 goals-against average, a .911 save percentage and one shutout.

The 6-7, 216-pound native of Denver, Colo. has played for the Lightning, Ottawa Senators and St. Louis Blues during his eight-year NHL career. In 263 career regular-season games he has posted a 146-77-23 record, a 2.32 goals-against average, a .919 save percentage and 19 shutouts.
https://www.nhl.com/kings/news/la-kings-acquire-lightning-ben-bishop-for-peter-budaj/c-287157242

rajuabju

The One & Only
Dec 30, 2006
Los Angeles
Insurance for Quick, who looked like his old form last game but has only played around 5+ periods of NHL hockey this season, and add in Budaj's play of late, and this makes sense.

The trade itself isnt horribad. its a backup UFA goalie for a better backup UFA goalie. And we upgraded the pick from 7th to 5th.

Losing Cernak... meh.

But i just dont get WHY. Unless DL has another move incoming. Then sure. But if this is supposed to be on its own, then its a big freakin dud of a move.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
Jon Rosen reporting the Kings gave up another pick. 7th and a conditional pick. All in this year's draft.

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
Yeesh. I'm a huge DL fan, best GM this team had ever had but this is ****ing brutal.

what is so brutal about this? Im all ears

Budaj played above his skill level but really started to falter the last few weeks. we get another #1 goalie, moved up 2 rounds, and are only paying 80% of his salary with the only cost being Cernak. this is a smart move by Dean as long as the conditional pick is a weak one

Last edited:

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
The trade itself isnt horribad. its a backup UFA goalie for a better backup UFA goalie. And we upgraded the pick from 7th to 5th.

Losing Cernak... meh.

But i just dont get WHY. Unless DL has another move incoming. Then sure. But if this is supposed to be on its own, then its a big freakin dud of a move.

Why? Opportunity. They didn't trade anything that would be key for acquiring an offensive player should that opportunity come up. Deadline's not till wednesday. Think people should hold off from panicking over a relatively minor move here.

Martyros

Allow me to retort
Aug 13, 2005
Holly Hood
maybe east team wanted bishop, and we can retain 50% (for a total of 70% retained) for a team that coudn't afford only 50% of value?

Even then, still makes no sense. If Cernak was going to be traded, Lombardi could have gotten something that we really needed....

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
maybe east team wanted bishop, and we can retain 50% (for a total of 70% retained) for a team that coudn't afford only 50% of value?

Even then, still makes no sense. If Cernak was going to be traded, Lombardi could have gotten something that we really needed....

Like what? I'm all ears. Was there even any buzz around Cernak?

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
I thought Miller would be their guy.

Imho, DL and Sutter had no faith in Budaj.

Wasn't impressed with the Cernak pick but started to come around to him. Guess he was expendable.

DL sure likes moving those second rounders now.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
what is so brutal about this? Im all ears

Can you name the last second round pick this team selected who turned into a player?

Not that I think Cernak is an amazing prospect, but it shows how his selection was either a poor choice (and the team gave up on him).

The biggest concern with this team is scoring goals, and Lombardi has wasted a potential asset on another UFA rental, one who may serve as a backup.

Asset management, drafting and decision making by management has been highly questionable for some time now. This just further adds to Lombardi's short sighted decisions.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Like what? I'm all ears. Was there even any buzz around Cernak?

I liked him, and a few others did, but most of the people around here that spend their time complaining about our drafting are now complaining that we moved him for something so...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad