Confirmed with Link: Kings announce signing kovalchuk to 3 year contract.

KingTrouty

Allons!
Jan 18, 2015
The Valley
That's fine with me. Unless he wants to sign a 900k deal.
Yeah, he seemed redundant with people like Lewis on the team, and Lewis has more finish. We need to create roster spots for Vilardi, Amadio, and Brodzinski, too. I liked him, his speed and ability to be deployed on the pk (tho we didn't use him much there).

Anyways, I'm sure Blake isn't too worried about Rieder on the morning of signing Kovy, RJ :)

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
We've never had a player like Kovalchuk to play alongside Kopitar.

I'm wet over the potential of what they can do together.

That's the same thing people said about Gaborik in the summer of 2014, after the were awesome together in the playoffs. Then Kopitar had his 90 point career season 4 years later with a guy that scored 9 goals. You never know how things will work out. Have to wait and see.

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
well the good thing is neither Kopitar and Brown are fleet of foot so its not like he won't keep up even if he has lost a step. This is a big bodied, high skilled line. Still can't out skate the pass and hopefully these 3 will prove it.

The thing we did aquire is a PP gun.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
It's a high risk move, but I suppose you have to take a risk if you want to try and make this team a contender right now with out giving up futures.

Even if Kovalchuk busts, it's still better than giving up assets for Skinner/Pacioretty ect.

I'm neutral on this move. Don't love it, don't hate it. We'll see how it pans out.

Exactly, it could turn out well, it could absolutely bust....but they didn't give up picks, Vilardi, Clague, etc. So it's either give up young assets, or sign Kovalchuk, I have a feeling that some people would bitch EITHER WAY....

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I am pretty sure when the image on the screen develops it is Rob "Costner/Yuri" Blake.
aRaJfDW.png

Reactions: DryIslandBartender

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Can't say I love it, would rather have Marleau at that price, but he is an undeniable talent. To say he is washed up would be ridiculous, he still definitely has it, but can he do it on an elite level back on the NHL stage? And for how long? At that price, if he can't bring it, then things are going to go south real fast.

This is it. This is our do or die moment. If this doesn't work, then a rebuild is on the horizon. Blake just drew the line in the sand, and now it is up to the players to choose.

Here's Kovalchuk embarrassing KHL talent:

Definitely need Kovalchuk to be a 30-goal / 65-point player for all three years for this to make sense. It feels like we are going back in time. This is the kind of move the Kings used to make all the time, and it never worked.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Definitely need Kovalchuk to be a 30-goal / 65-point player for all three years for this to make sense. It feels like we are going back in time. This is the kind of move the Kings used to make all the time, and it never worked.
When did we ever bring in names like Kovalchuk?

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I'm with you that three years are a bit too long, and yes, 35+ contract means there's no getting out of the cap hit. Kept him away from the rest of the division though, too. Does improve our team.

I'm thinking they made this move knowing they didn't have a shot at Tavares, but ****, sign Tavares and move someone else if you have to.
This is a real possibility, but I would have preferred them to keep their powder dry until the Tavares situation was resolved. The acquisition of Tavares will be a real game changer for a team IF he leaves the NY Islanders. The Kings just took themselves out of the running, and Vegas and San Jose are still lurking around Tavares.

The Kings could have moved one or two of Toffoli, Muzzin, or Martinez to have made it work.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
When did we ever bring in names like Kovalchuk?
You have to go back and look at look at the Gretzky years. The Kings signed or traded for quite a few older players to try to get over the hump. It almost worked in 1993, but other than that the Kings never got past the 2nd round.

I suppose the biggest success would have to be Jari Kurri.

Reactions: King Trouty

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
This is a real possibility, but I would have preferred them to keep their powder dry until the Tavares situation was resolved. The acquisition of Tavares will be a real game changer for a team IF he leaves the NY Islanders. The Kings just took themselves out of the running, and Vegas and San Jose are still lurking around Tavares.

The Kings could have moved one or two of Toffoli, Muzzin, or Martinez to have made it work.

I don't think they did. SJ cleared space ahead of time for sure, but if we made a legit case for Tavares, we have all summer to make it work. I'm ok with Blake not sitting on his hands and waiting to see what the pending UFA wants to do before losing out on everyone. (I understand you're not thrilled about Kovy, just saying).

lexlavender

Jun 9, 2013
Tavares was a pipe dream. Was never going to happen.

But I don't like this deal, it's boom or bust. Either Kovy makes it worth it or we have zero flexibility in the dying hours of our "cup window".

Maybe once a few more wingers get massive deals, this will be a cheap, tradeable contract in a post "Kane 7 x 8" world.

I guarantee if we fizzle out again this year, Carter is gone.

How many more chances is this core going to get?

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
If Kovalchuk scores 60 goals and 150 points over the course of the next 3 seasons we should be pretty happy with his production.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I agree that Tavares was probably a long shot. Missing on him should have signaled it was time for a new direction.

I am concerned all Blake has done here is guaranteed more years of mediocrity. Not good enough to really make a run, and not getting on with the business of rebuilding.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
If Kovalchuk scores 60 goals and 150 points over the course of the next 3 seasons we should be pretty happy with his production.
I respect your opinion john, but I think if he averages 20 goals a season the Kings overpaid by a significant amount.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
Mayor just confirmed the Kings are not meeting with him tomorrow, obviously. Please stay out of the Pacific...

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Dustin Brown put up 61 points and 28 goals last year.

I've got a feeling Ilya Kovalchuk who was one of the best pure goal scorers before he left the NHL will do just fine here.

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

yankeeking

Jun 4, 2007
I.E.
I have been against this from the first rumors but since Blake must have lost my phone number and signed him , let's go Kovy you commie bastard , and agree with telos this is the Go for it move ,we have had two goods drafts in a row so we can still build for the future and when this comes off the books we will have most of these kids ready .............hopefully having being teammates will convince voynov to stay instead of forcing a trade if he can play in the NHL any time soon

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Three years...bad idea. Kovalchuk has already proven if things aren't going perfectly for him he will retire.

I am not sure but if he does it this time the Kings are on the hook for the cap hit for the entire 3 years. Sorry, but this is a desperate move.

This pretty much eliminates any thoughts of signing John Tavares.
The kings were never signing Tavares.

So how do we afford this? Who goes?

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
You have to go back and look at look at the Gretzky years. The Kings signed or traded for quite a few older players to try to get over the hump. It almost worked in 1993, but other than that the Kings never got past the 2nd round.

I suppose the biggest success would have to be Jari Kurri.

Who did they sign back then? Free agency wasn't really a thing.

They've traded a bunch of 1st's for old guys, but how often have they just thrown money at one? Gaborik? At least he had a good 14-15 season. So far Kovalchuk has usually been in the lineup for whatever team he's been on, so there's that.

If he screws the Kings by either not producing or leaving early, maybe they'll finally get to that rebuilding project, and the contract won't matter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad