Confirmed with Link: Kings announce signing kovalchuk to 3 year contract.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
You don't sign Kovi to that contract unless you're going for another impact top 6 or top 4 defensemen.If Kovi went down to injury you're right back to the fwd group that got swept in the playoffs.I don't believe this is a good enough fwd group to win a cup as of yet.
Kings have roughly $3 million in cap space with 3 roster spots to fill. They're not adding a top 6 forward or top 4 dman without moving out salary.

Reactions: King Trouty

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
I'm getting amped about signing Kovalchuk after watching another famous Russian hoist the cup this year. Our new boy is only a couple of years older than Ovechkin with similar mileage (perhaps the last couple of years have been kind on the ol carcass playing against lesser competition too) Sure it's a risk, but would you prefer spunking top assets to acquire patches and the right to sign him to an 8x7 deal?

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Kings have roughly $3 million in cap space with 3 roster spots to fill. They're not adding a top 6 forward or top 4 dman without moving out salary.

you're absolutely correct.Toffoli or Muzzin or Martinez or Pearson or even a deal involving Phauef with sweetest makes that room.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
You don't sign Kovi to that contract unless you're going for another impact top 6 or top 4 defensemen.If Kovi went down to injury you're right back to the fwd group that got swept in the playoffs.I don't believe this is a good enough fwd group to win a cup as of yet.

There's a cap. Can't have a proven backup to the proven backup to the proven backup. Quick went down, and it was Budaj. Carter went down, and it was Kempe. If Kovalchuk goes down, it'll be someone else from the farm. Every base can't be covered all the time.

Could go out and get two $3m forwards instead of just Kovalchuk, but then it's dumpster diving. Who can you get for $3m? Maybe Vanek and some other guy. Does that satisfy the possible injury situation?

The added offense is going to have to come from Iafallo, and Kempe, and Vilardi, and maybe Amadio and maybe Brodzinski. Those are the guys that have to emerge to make the roster a contender as the season goes on. Pearson will have to be better. Toffoli will have to be better. Carter will have to be healthy. There's probably not anybody else coming. Not until the deadline anyway. Unless they're getting someone on the quite cheap side, this is it.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
I wouldn't doubt that a significant move like this was essential in being able to re-sign Doughty.

Peter James Bond II

BRANDT CLARKE 23-24 CALDER
Mar 5, 2015

The 2012 and 2014 teams were not good enough to win Cups, either...until they got Carter in 2012 deadline deal and Gaborik at 2014 deadline deal...Kings can adjust there
at the deadline again, if needed. They now have some elite prospects to deal, if needed. This is a pretty damn good team right now.

Reactions: KingsKnight

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
... Well it's only a year more than what we wanted. Free asset. Hope it works.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
D6PfW.jpg

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
To re-resign Doughty, rempal, brickley, iafallo, and kempe next summer probably requires trading from defense.

Doughty's extension money comes from the annual cap increase, Greene's BO comes off, and Thompson expires (replace with $1 million or less player). That should be around $3.5 million. Need to find another $1 million.

Rempal could probably be bridged for not very much and kept in the AHL for no cap hit. But the rest would require a contract gone.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
Roster prediction- using players under contract as of now 20 Players - $76, 349, 000 out of 79.5 mil

Kovy - Kopitar - Brown
Pearson - Carter - Toffoli
Iafallo - Kempe- Vilardi
Clifford - Thompson - Lewis

Doughty - Phaneuf - Martinez
Forbort - Muzzin - Brickley

Quick - Campbell

Vilardi has some performance bonuses of the top of my head

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
Patches going to the sharks as per draft panel

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
You guys got the 2nd best FA for 1/5 of what the top FA will probably sign for.

If the Caps didn't just win the cup I'd be jealous of the Kings right now, he's a 40-40 player in this new opened up NHL

SlimCharles

Kings & Sabres
Dec 7, 2011
Los Angeles
I'm excited! I wanted him back in 2010 like most of us did. He's older now, yes, but he's still Ilya Kovalchuk. He's a rare player and has that elite goal scoring ability we've been lacking since we had Ziggy Palffy. I think he can hit 40 goals with Kopitar, I really do.

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
You guys got the 2nd best FA for 1/5 of what the top FA will probably sign for.

If the Caps didn't just win the cup I'd be jealous of the Kings right now, he's a 40-40 player in this new opened up NHL
Exactly, no assets given up , short term contract well done Blake

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles

I wish I could argue against you but I can't. The only thing I would say is that Kovy has proven to me that if he will play hurt in big games. But still, I agree we still need one more impact player, preferably a top 4 RH PMD.

Peter James Bond II

BRANDT CLARKE 23-24 CALDER
Mar 5, 2015
Well, I think Rieder will not be qualified...and that's fine. What a great day! One of best signings in Kings history and still negativity on here.

In 24 hours the Kings have lost nothing and added Kovalchuk, Rasmus Kupari and Akil Thomas.

Kovalchuk led the KHL in scoring, was mvp of Olympics and played in the KHL finals. Legit LW threat w Kopi and Brown.
Talk about power on your top line.

Kaspari outscored countryman and 3rd overall Kotkaniemi in the Hlinka Memorial by 3 pts and won Gold Medal at the WJC U18.
he then played on the Championship Karpat team, scoring 16 pts. and given a center defensive role at 17 years old (he turned 18 in March)
Akil Thomas was #1 CHL scorer of draft elgibles and has immense speed and skill. Led his team in scoring.

Possibly the best Kings' day since the Kings hoisted Lord Stanley in 2014.

Last edited:
Reactions: KingsKnight

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
We pretty much have three years left of this core to go for the Cup.

When his contract expires Toffoli, Pearson, Phaneuf, Martinez, Muzzin, and Forbort would also be up; and then Jeff Carter and Dustin Brown would only have one year left of there contracts.

So in my eyes in 2-3 years we'll start a "rebuild" with guys like Vilardi, JAD, Clague, Kapuri, Peterson, etc.

lexlavender

Jun 9, 2013
We pretty much have three years left of this core to go for the Cup.

When his contract expires Toffoli, Pearson, Phaneuf, Martinez, Muzzin, and Forbort would also be up; and then Jeff Carter and Dustin Brown would only have one year left of there contracts.

So in my eyes in 2-3 years we'll start a "rebuild" with guys like Vilardi, JAD, Clague, Kapuri, Peterson, etc.

This makes me feel better, it's a good point.

If we don't win in 3 years, then the game is done anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->