Confirmed with Link: Kings Acquire Keaton Ellerby from the Panthers for a 2013 5th Round Pick

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
Ridiculous. Muzzin is not even close to his prime or potential. As others have said, under the circumstances he's done a pretty good job. Some players take longer to gain confidence to play their game. They're not all going to be Doughtys and Voynovs.

Anyone remember Alec Martinez' for stint in the NHL? This is the same ****ing thing.

Not really at all. AMart played four games, was brutal, and then went down and worked on his game. The next year, he was called up again and stuck. Muzzin played eleven games in his first stint, which is a hell of a lot more than just four that AMart got. Then Muzzin had an entire year down in Manch to work on his game and now he's got another opportunity and hasn't really progressed to where most hoped he would. I don't think he's been terrible but he has been slow to progress.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
I can count 4 of those minuses, were direct turnovers from Drew.

Lets not act like he didn't partake in those minuses.

And 2 blown assignments just in the last game on Skuds...his tired legs are causing him to fall a step behind.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
This is why I have high hope For Forbort.

Forbort Plays big, like his size. At least this season he is.

Took him a bit, but the kid plays like a 6'5" 220 lbs defender.

I am putting the finishing touches on a thing I have written on Forbort. I have spent the last three weeks in North Dakota watching the Sioux (mostly, I also headed over to St Cloud UM MS to catch a couple of games) play Minnesota, ST Cloud State, Wisconson and finally Nebraska O for an outdoor tourney that was great.

Forbort has come a long way and is looking very solid but he is still two years away from the NHL imo. He plays big but he is still inconsistent. He hits but not as often as he could or as often as he should at times. He has come a long way at knowing when to join the O. His skating has just gotten better. His positional play is solid but chases the puck at times, usually when he is tired when he should be playing better positional hockey.

He will need another year or two of development and then start getting his call ups but he might become a solid 2nd pairing guy with some upside if he keeps on developing. I have a bunch more about the individual games as well as stuff on Mersch Gravel and others.

Last edited:

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
It was a numbers game. Greene didn't hurt his back until the first game. Either the Kings put Hickey on waivers or Muzzin on waivers. DL made his choice. But that has nothing to do with Muzzin getting due process from this point forward on whether or not he makes it.

Besides, what exactly do you want to do once you cut Muzzin? Replace him with what exactly? It's not like there's a plethora of free agents or desirable D-men just hanging out on the corner waiting to be signed. Based on your previous posts, it seems like you are advocating cutting him, just for the sake of cutting him.
Yes back to Manchester and no worries if someone claims him.
I find Muzzin to be one of the more overrated Kings prospects. Ranked highly due to his size, he's not much different than Drewiske. My opinion, he has a loooong way to go before he's ready to see regular ice time as part of a top six D-pairing on any NHL roster.
Same feelings here.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Nothing against the author of this scouting report, but the description of Muzzin's game is way off the mark here. I think the contention with the overrated size is that a lot of people were misled into thinking this guy was supposed to be a physical force. Take this scouting report from HF for instance:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/jake_muzzin/
Muzzin has no glaring weakness to his game. The 6’4 defenseman is offensively sound with an accurate one-time shot and a quick release. His passing is also above average as he makes a crisp breakout pass and can jump into the offense if needed. The greatest asset to Muzzin’s game is his nasty on-ice demeanor. He demonstrates poise and willingness to take on more than one player at a time - regardless of how much bigger they may be, and is willing to drop the gloves. He is also good at taking players out of the play and clearing the front of the net.

No glaring weakness? Nasty on-ice demeanor? Good at taking out players and clearing the net? He hasn't shown any of this at the AHL level, let alone the NHL. Once again, this kid has been overrated by many. How he's rated a 7.0 C prospect baffles me.

Here are some more scouting reports that hyped him up:
http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=1390&mode=print
http://kings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=529411

"Based on what I've seen, he's going to be a fantastic player," Monarchs coach Mark Morris said. "He has a big, thick body. He gets around the ice very well. He has excellent stick position. He plays within himself. He makes great decisions, reading the play on both sides of the puck.

http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/hockeynews/hockey/player.cgi?15654
Has good size for the highest level and the ability to produce points from the back end. Moves the puck well out of danger.

Where is this player that everyone was hyping up? I haven't seen him making great decisions or using his big, thick body. From what I've seen, he tries too much, he gets beat by speed, he's not physical at all, and he takes too long to make decisions on the ice. When you're thinking out there, you are going to be a step behind.

I'm not writing off Muzzin completely, but he does not look prepared to play in the NHL now and he has a long ways to go to prove he belongs.

Last edited:

Minor Boarding

Nov 30, 2011
Corleone
Nothing against the author of this scouting report, but the description of Muzzin's game is way off the mark here. I think the contention with the overrated size is that a lot of people were misled into thinking this guy was supposed to be a physical force. Take this scouting report from HF for instance:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/jake_muzzin/

No glaring weakness? Nasty on-ice demeanor? Good at taking out players and clearing the net? He hasn't shown any of this at the AHL level, let alone the NHL. Once again, this kid has been overrated by many.
Things changte tho.

Voynovs game as a ~17 year old was similar to the one of Konstantinov... He used to combine his great skating stride and low gravity skating position to hit everything that moved (he had some mean streak too) but since he was drafted his game changed quite incredibly...

Vino

Mar 19, 2006
Finland
From what I've seen, he tries too much, he gets beat by speed, he's not physical at all, and he takes too long to make decisions on the ice.

Disgree "not physical at all" -part, because occasionally he hits very well. But "he takes too long to make decisions on the ice" -part is very, very true.

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
watching the LA - DET game..never knew Ellerby was traded till watching this..

This is an absolute steal for you guys

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
On the subject of Ellerby, he was decent today. Flubbed the puck a few times, but played 18 minutes and didn't look panicked.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
He was ok, whiffed a few passes, made a couple real bad ones, but it's to be expected on a new team with only one practice under his belt. Was far from the Kings' biggest problem today...

eleventy

Conditioner goes first
Jul 4, 2007
He didn't look out of place to me today, which is completely fine when you consider he's being paired with DD and he's had no time to adjust to the new team etc.

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011
Exactly as advertised. In the right place most of the time defensively. Good outlets for the most part. I liked his stick work, had some good poke checks and knock aways. Knows how to assert his body.

Yea I mean a 5th could really be a steal for this kid if he grows from here.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Nice that Ellerby played 18 mins and didn't look too much out of place. That's not something you'll often grab for a 5th rounder, so the price looks to be good so far.

Hopefully with more practice he will feel more comfortable and he can find even more success.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Ellerby has a long way to go before I will be comfortable with him playing 18mins a game for us on a regular basis. That said he is clearly an NHL caliber prospect who given time and brought along correctly should be a solid 4-6 dman for us.

His size and willingness to drop the gloves puts him ahead of Forbort and Muzzin in my book but I wouldn't want to over hype him based on his one game with the team. Lets see how he looks after 8 games as that appears to be the proper amount of time to measure a rookie's career prospects.

All kidding aside so far so good with Ellerby and with Muzzin too.

Oh and a fifth rounder for Ellerby was an absolute steal (over hyping him but it just clearly was).

harv33173

Oct 5, 2003
ellerby will be a top 4 dman. beautiful skater, size and if given a real opportunity will continue to develop. i like the kid and you absolutely stole him. i hope you guys can do us some favors down the road!!!! best of luck to ellerby, SORRY TO SEE HIM GO!!!!!

Crosby87Domi11

Jan 29, 2013
Locust Grove,VA
Ellerby played decent for his first game in a Kings jersey, imagine he will get better with time as he gets used to the new system.

I said the same thing, his play will improve when he gets to know his teammates and probably the conference as well seeing as he has little expierience against western conference teams. While its along the same lines, each team has a different style and each conference is a little different.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad