Confirmed with Link: Kings Acquire Keaton Ellerby from the Panthers for a 2013 5th Round Pick

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
havent followed Elerby in a couple years. Does anyone have an update on how hes progressed?

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Well, there isn't a ton to say about him. He was a pretty big deal at the draft and can play but doesn't do anything above average. A fifth is about right for him.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Anyone know about this guy? Any good?

He was drafted 10th overall in 2007, the same draft as Hickey. Tall defenseman at 6'5", with a 125GP 2G 15A 17P -21 regular season career. Seems like a good move to me, can replace some of our more veteran defensive defenseman. He is a RFA after this year, 24 years old.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Here is what catfans are saying.

Former first round draft pick. Plays well in his own end and makes smart decisions. Not much to call home about with regards to offensive ability, skating or great outlet passes, yet at least. We always thought he had the potential to develop into a Kulikov type asset for this team, so a 5th round draft pick seems like a good deal for you all.

Well Campbell will be going down.

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
from another Cats fan RainingRats.

"Occasional big hit, good size, can skate well but looks loose on his skates. His outlet passes are solid, no offense whatsoever. He always comes into training camp looking like he dedicated himself to getting into top shape. He's close to putting it all together where he can be a second pairing guy but right now he's a third pairing d-man with some upside."

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
As they say, you can't teach size. At least he brings that. A little more depth on defense. RFA at the end of the year. Worth a shot with Greene gone for a while, and who knows with Mitchell.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
It sounds like the 5th was the one we acquired from the Devils. So, essentially Loktionov for Ellerby, which is pretty good value.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
Low risk, low reward. I think the Kings are bringing in depth so that they can make a bigger move. Too many players not producing, last year was great and all but it's a new season. Get it in gear or get out.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Low risk, low reward. I think the Kings are bringing in depth so that they can make a bigger move. Too many players not producing, last year was great and all but it's a new season. Get it in gear or get out.

This should be a good move for us. Ellerby could be a great long-term depth option for us. If Mitchell is traded this offseason, or Scuderi walks, we could have: Scuderi or Mitchell/Greene/Ellerby paired with Doughty/Voynov/Martinez, which wouldn't be too bad, especially with Forbort and Gravel in the fold, and Ellerby is considerably cheaper and leaves us open to make a trade as well.

He fights, Johnny Utah should be happy :P:

He also seems to be a decent hitter:

Last edited:

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
This should be a good move for us. Ellerby could be a great long-term depth option for us. If Mitchell walks this offseason, we could have: Scuderi/Greene/Ellerby paired with Doughty/Voynov/Martinez, which wouldn't be too bad, he is cheaper and leaves us open to make a trade as well.

Mitchell is on a 35+ deal, so I think they're on the hook for the cap hit no matter what.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Mitchell is on a 35+ deal, so I think they're on the hook for the cap hit no matter what.

Yeah, I mispoke and confused Mitchell's contract with Scuderi's. So if Scuderi leaves, or we trade Mitchell and re-sign Scuderi. Still, it is nice to have a non-failed version of Teubert on the team to back-up our older defensive depth. As Forbort and Gravel matures, we should be good now internally with defensive defensemen.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Like others have said..

Ellerby:

Positives - Good size. Stands up for teammates. Fights. Skates very well with the puck. Likes to hit really hard on occasion. Well-liked in the room. Passes are usually crisp.

Negatives - Has coverage issues sometimes. Occasionally, you will see him hang on to the puck for way too long and make a horrendous pass, which will lead to a turnover. Don't see too much potential in him anymore. Offense is very limited.

Could be a nice depth, d-man for you guys. Will miss Keat's personality the most.

Good luck in LA.

gonnaneedsomewine

Jun 19, 2010
Love this move. Always been a fan of Ellerby and always trade for him in NHL on PS3 haha.

Always felt he was over-criticized in Florida just like Luke Schenn was in Toronto - fans/media expect a defenseman drafted in the top 10 to turn into a guy like Pietrangelo or Doughty - an all around stud.

From what I've seen over the years - very good skater for his size, will throw his body around, has the ability to chip in offensively on occasion.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
It's a big improvement if they get Ellerby into the lineup in place of Muzzin. Muzzin has made a few questionable plays of late, doesn't anticipate or read plays very well, doesn't handle the puck very well, and is way too soft for a player of his size. In a nutshell, he serves no purpose.

Hoping that Ellerby corrects these things and gives them some more bite on the backend.

He fights, Johnny Utah should be happy :P:

I look forward to every thread about a new player or potential player to find out whether the player actually fights or not and what the player's record is in fighting if he does. That guy has a one track mind.

Seems like a good deal for the Kings either way. I'm sure he can't be any worse than Muzzin. And I'm not knocking Muzzin, just stating that this guy might actually see some ice time sooner than later.

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011
Always been a fan of Ellerby. Thought he got rushed in at Florida and it messed with his development a bit. He's come a long way in terms of his own zone play. He's a tough kid, very big, very long. Great reach, the occasionnel big hit, decent shot blocker. This is a solid move really. If he plays well he is an RFA and will likely be a cheap easy resign for a few years until Gravel or Forbort are ready. Change of scenery might help him.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Love this move. Always been a fan of Ellerby and always trade for him in NHL on PS3 haha.

Always felt he was over-criticized in Florida just like Luke Schenn was in Toronto - fans/media expect a defenseman drafted in the top 10 to turn into a guy like Pietrangelo or Doughty - an all around stud.

From what I've seen over the years - very good skater for his size, will throw his body around, has the ability to chip in offensively on occasion.

Not true.

A lot of Panthers fans appreciated what Ellerby brought, but he's been given every opportunity under the sun here in Florida. We saw his time dwindling as a Panther and we know how Tallon loves his draft picks. His days were numbered. Especially since Tyson Strachan passed him on the depth chart. We also have Colby Robak and Alex Petrovic down in the minors.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad