Kings 5, Oilers 2

McDeathbyCheerios*

Mcdavid is Junior eligible. Nurse and Draisaitl can be sent to the AHL. Klefbom's second contract starts next season but he's played to many games to be sent to the AHL without waivers, last year was his official rookie year. All of those players fall under the category of prospect.
Yes. Our NHL team is so bad that we need them on our team and they are our best players. And our NHL team is still awful. We have been ****ing rebuilding for how long?

Outside of the 1st round we have nothing. Even in thr 1st round. RNH, Gagner, Yakupov, Paajarvi and Eberle. All very flawed players. RNH at best is looking like an average 2nd liner, who is weak. Gagner is probably easing to Europe. Yak still hasn't established himself as anything. He has flashes of some skill but is at best right now a middle of the pack the pack third liner who can't pack third liner who cant pay that role. Paajarvi is getting some time in St Louis but is still going to bust and Eberle is entirely one dimensional and I've seen beer leaguers play better defense.

We are at best 1 year away from getting out of the bottom 5 and 3-4 from winning a playoff round.

The team is fatally flawed and our cubbards are bare. Out of everyone in the ahl the only player I see making it is Brossoit and Reinhart. The rest will see spot duty but none will be an NHL regular any where

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
McDavid, Nurse and Drai you can consider NHL players. Klefbom is on his second contract too.

So that leaves Brossoit, Slepyshev (who looks meh) and Reinhart. That's it. That's a bottom 5 prospect pool to go with our bottom 5 team. No present and no future.

Our drafting from the 2nd round on has been horrible, to say the least, but to be fair, most of our 1st round picks are so high, and our depth so bad, that they are forced into the NHL. (Matter or fact, nearly all 1st overalls play in the big leagues right away). Most other teams 1st round picks are still back in junior or the AHL getting well seasoned.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Our drafting from the 2nd round on has been horrible, to say the least, but to be fair, most of our 1st round picks are so high, and our depth so bad, that they are forced into the NHL. (Matter or fact, nearly all 1st overalls play in the big leagues right away). Most other teams 1st round picks are still back in junior or the AHL getting well seasoned.
We have 2 good 1st overalls in Hall and McDavid.

And 2 bad 1st overalls in RNH and Yakupov. If you looked at the worst 1st overalls in the last 10 years Yak and RNH would be a clear 1 and 2

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
We have 2 good 1st overalls in Hall and McDavid.

And 2 bad 1st overalls in RNH and Yakupov. If you looked at the worst 1st overalls in the last 10 years Yak and RNH would be a clear 1 and 2

No big argument there, but again, if you check the records, nearly all 1st overalls play in the NHL right away, no detours, regardless of whether they turned out good, bad or ugly.

McDeathbyCheerios*

No big argument there, but again, if you check the records, nearly all 1st overalls play in the NHL right away, no detours, regardless of whether they turned out good, bad or ugly.
True but most other teams have good players outside of the 1st round. We don't.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Nilsson
Nilssen
Nilsvens
Nilrivens
Nrivens
Ncrivens
Scrivens

Talbot
Talbth
Talth
Tasth
Fasth

The (de) evolution of our goalies
:help:

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Really hope this is the last season we have to let having garbage D ruin our team. I know Klef and Davidson are out, but Klef is not enough to make this D group not trash, and Davidson is a 3rd pairing guy at best on any good team. Chia has to fix the D at any cost this summer.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Really hope this is the last season we have to let having garbage D ruin our team. I know Klef and Davidson are out, but Klef is not enough to make this D group not trash, and Davidson is a 3rd pairing guy at best on any good team. Chia has to fix the D at any cost this summer.
We need 2 top pairing defensemen. Or one top pairing and a second pairing if Sekera gets better.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
We need 2 top pairing defensemen. Or one top pairing and a second pairing if Sekera gets better.

Agreed. At least 1 legit top pairing guy. So hard to get of course, hopefully there is a move to be made.

Also liked Chia's comments in his interview about the Kassian trade. How he feels that he wants to get players that can provide more of a cycle game in the offensive zone, and how we are too much of a rush team. Also how he feels that being a team that depends on the rush doesn't provide long term success (forget his exact words).

Chia knows very well how important having a solid D core is to a team from his time with Boston, and he also recognizes the flaws in the makeup of our offensive lines. I'm expecting some significant changes this summer.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Yes. Our NHL team is so bad that we need them on our team and they are our best players. And our NHL team is still awful. We have been ****ing rebuilding for how long?

Outside of the 1st round we have nothing. Even in thr 1st round. RNH, Gagner, Yakupov, Paajarvi and Eberle. All very flawed players. RNH at best is looking like an average 2nd liner, who is weak. Gagner is probably easing to Europe. Yak still hasn't established himself as anything. He has flashes of some skill but is at best right now a middle of the pack the pack third liner who can't pack third liner who cant pay that role. Paajarvi is getting some time in St Louis but is still going to bust and Eberle is entirely one dimensional and I've seen beer leaguers play better defense.

We are at best 1 year away from getting out of the bottom 5 and 3-4 from winning a playoff round.

The team is fatally flawed and our cubbards are bare. Out of everyone in the ahl the only player I see making it is Brossoit and Reinhart. The rest will see spot duty but none will be an NHL regular any where

Damn man, I thought I was bleak.

Most teams are lucky to get one good guy from a draft year. Because we have sucked we have been guaranteed to get an unreal talent level.

Yes you are right, this team is still a mess. Terrible mix of players. Maybe I am giving Chia too much respect but I don't see that continuing past this year.

Schultz is guy that needs to go. Get rid of him, hunt, Nikita, and leave Ference on the bench.

Sign a guy like Gyrba for another year.

Sekera Nurse
Klefbom Davidson
Reinhart Gyrba

Is a **** ton better than what we are running atm.

Get rid of at least one of Yak or Ebs for size and grit two way.

Hall RNH Leon
Poo McDavid Ebs/Yak
Hendricks Lets Korpi
Kharia Lander Kassian?

This year I think we will avoid the bottom 5 because of Leon and Mcdavid.

Next year I think playoffs are possible if not likely. Following year should be playoffs.

So sure our team and drafting sucks, but we are getting bigger and better. Chiarelli thinks like we do. Barring a massive turn around someone small is getting traded for something big.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Damn man, I thought I was bleak.

Most teams are lucky to get one good guy from a draft year. Because we have sucked we have been guaranteed to get an unreal talent level.

Yes you are right, this team is still a mess. Terrible mix of players. Maybe I am giving Chia too much respect but I don't see that continuing past this year.

Schultz is guy that needs to go. Get rid of him, hunt, Nikita, and leave Ference on the bench.

Sign a guy like Gyrba for another year.

Sekera Nurse
Klefbom Davidson
Reinhart Gyrba

Is a **** ton better than what we are running atm.

Get rid of at least one of Yak or Ebs for size and grit two way.

Hall RNH Leon
Poo McDavid Ebs/Yak
Hendricks Lets Korpi
Kharia Lander Kassian?

This year I think we will avoid the bottom 5 because of Leon and Mcdavid.

Next year I think playoffs are possible if not likely. Following year should be playoffs.

So sure our team and drafting sucks, but we are getting bigger and better. Chiarelli thinks like we do. Barring a massive turn around someone small is getting traded for something big.
I can't see us making playoffs for 3 years minimum. Too many holes to fix and in this day and age, too much to fix in a couple years.

McDeathbyCheerios*

We have 1 winnable game in the next month (Carolina). I don't see us getting out of the bottom unless the team flips a switch

McDeathbyCheerios*

Ducks, Coyotes (x2), Hurricanes, Lightning (x2), Panthers (x2), Sharks, Flames, Stars, Predators
1-8-2

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I can't see us making playoffs for 3 years minimum. Too many holes to fix and in this day and age, too much to fix in a couple years.

I can't believe I am arguing that the Oil is better than they are currently looking but they are.

We have a few guys that need to be turned over and basically need to get healthy.

McDavid, Nurse, Reinhart, and Leon. Thats four big parts that are all on the up and up. Ditch Schultz/Yak and bring in a few more gritty players.

Chiarelli and his dislike of the rush team we are right now will kick in.

McDeathbyCheerios*

I can't believe I am arguing that the Oil is better than they are currently looking but they are.

We have a few guys that need to be turned over and basically need to get healthy.

McDavid, Nurse, Reinhart, and Leon. Thats four big parts that are all on the up and up. Ditch Schultz/Yak and bring in a few more gritty players.

Chiarelli and his dislike of the rush team we are right now will kick in.
That's a bad thing. Hall is a rush player. McDavid is a rush player. Nurse is a rush player. The majority of our good players are rush players...only good cycle player we have is Draisaitl although I'm sure McDavid can learn.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Probably jinxing this but all those except Nashville are winnable. We "should" be 500 over that stretch.
Stars, Predators, Panthers and Coyotes are guaranteed losses. The others are maybes but probable losses. If we are .500 over that stretch it'll be a miracle.

SoftDumps

Oct 11, 2013

Actually, Eberle at 22 overall was a good pick. Quite literally the worst Oilers example you could have chosen.

As an aside, wtf is cubbard? When it seems like the poster hasn't put one iota of thought into a statement, it is hard to take them seriously.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
That's a bad thing. Hall is a rush player. McDavid is a rush player. Nurse is a rush player. The majority of our good players are rush players...only good cycle player we have is Draisaitl although I'm sure McDavid can learn.

Think with elite talents like Hall/McDavid there is not really an issue of them being more dominant on the rush. That is, unless you surround them with other guys that can't compete on the boards and only like making plays on the rush too, which we have done for such a long time now. Need at least 1 strong guy willing to battle on the boards and in front of the net (and of course also have the skill and speed to reasonably keep up with the likes of Hall/McDavid) with those players if you want them to be able to do well against any matchup.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Actually, Eberle at 22 overall was a good pick. Quite literally the worst Oilers example you could have chosen.

As an aside, wtf is cubbard? When it seems like the poster hasn't put one iota of thought into a statement, it is hard to take them seriously.
It's a term people have used for a prospect pool.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
True but most other teams have good players outside of the 1st round. We don't.

And I've already stated that in my first response. My point was, if have first rounders that are middle of the pack instead of at the top of it, there is a good chance they are still in junior or the AHL developing and our prospect pool doesn't look as weak. Teams don't do that with #1 overalls.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad