Kingdom Come; Deliverance

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Very much appreciate the overview; sounds better then I had pictured it &, while still not as open as I'd hope for a tutorial, not as locked in as I had feared (thinking Oblivion sewers but for 6 hours & you'll have an idea of what I was worried about).

Reactions: Osprey

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Rant time:
So the Monastery is garbage. The quest givers that want you to infiltrate the place drop all these hints about multiple paths you can take to solving it but in reality it's actually super railroaded (with a fork) and doesn't take into account player creativity one iota. I decided f*** the conventional path I'll just pretend to be a monk with a disguise. Well jokes on you dumb ass cause even if you pull that off via high lockpick and the right clothes (without triggering the quest the "proper" way) all the NPCs have no dialog except "how do I get into the monastery".

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Rant time:
So the Monastery is garbage. The quest givers that want you to infiltrate the place drop all these hints about multiple paths you can take to solving it but in reality it's actually super railroaded (with a fork) and doesn't take into account player creativity one iota. I decided **** the conventional path I'll just pretend to be a monk with a disguise. Well jokes on you dumb ass cause even if you pull that off via high lockpick and the right clothes (without triggering the quest the "proper" way) all the NPCs have no dialog except "how do I get into the monastery".

Just wait. That's not even the worst part about that quest.

It's the only one in the game where I cheesed it in a way it wasn't meant to be done and lived with the consequences just to get it the hell over with haha.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
Bought this game on Steam sale. Tried it out for 90 minutes. Game crashed my computer, lost all of my progress as well. Now every time I load it up it crashes my computer. Steam refund it is. I'll wait until this game goes cheaper/is less buggy. Maybe when I upgrade my computer some day it'll work better.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Bought this game on Steam sale. Tried it out for 90 minutes. Game crashed my computer, lost all of my progress as well. Now every time I load it up it crashes my computer. Steam refund it is. I'll wait until this game goes cheaper/is less buggy. Maybe when I upgrade my computer some day it'll work better.

It was pretty low on bugs by the time that it got to v1.2 and it's now up to v1.7. You probably either are encountering a rare one or it's not exactly the game. If you haven't refunded it yet, try updating your video drivers and deleting OneDrive\Saved Games\kingdomcome. My guess is that the first crash corrupted your saves and/or settings and that's what's causing the further crashes. If so, deleting that folder should fix that.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
It was pretty low on bugs by the time that it got to v1.2 and it's now up to v1.7. You probably either are encountering a rare one or it's not exactly the game. If you haven't refunded it yet, try updating your video drivers and deleting OneDrive\Saved Games\kingdomcome. My guess is that the first crash corrupted your saves and/or settings and that's what's causing the further crashes. If so, deleting that folder should fix that.
Already got the refund, but I'll just wait until I upgrade my computer a bit. Most of the components are 5+ years old at this point. By then I'm sure the game will be $20.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Already got the refund, but I'll just wait until I upgrade my computer a bit. Most of the components are 5+ years old at this point. By then I'm sure the game will be $20.

I played the game on mostly 5-year-old components. It was not a pleasant experience and, while I enjoyed the game, I now wish that I would've waited until I upgraded so that I could enjoy it more. You probably made the right call.

SimGrindcore

Mar 16, 2021
www.facebook.com
I was not a fan, but it seems most people are, so maybe it was a me thing, for 90% off can you really go wrong?
I mostly play FPS games (Far Cry, Wolfenstein, etc.) and RPGs like Fallout and Cyberpunk 2077.

I never really played sword/melee combat games except Far Cry Primal (I enjoyed every single seconds of it!) and Ryse: Son of Rome which took a little while to get used to the game play. I never bothered to play Witcher 3 or Skyrim because I'm not into magic and fantasy.

Kingdom Come is intriguing to me because I like history in general and I was fascinated by the medieval period when I was a kid (I had almost every castle LEGO sets).

That's why I'm asking. Am I a good audience for the game?

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I mostly play FPS games (Far Cry, Wolfenstein, etc.) and RPGs like Fallout and Cyberpunk 2077.

I never really played sword/melee combat games except Far Cry Primal (I enjoyed every single seconds of it!) and Ryse: Son of Rome which took a little while to get used to the game play. I never bothered to play Witcher 3 or Skyrim because I'm not into magic and fantasy.

Kingdom Come is intriguing to me because I like history in general and I was fascinated by the medieval period when I was a kid (I had almost every castle LEGO sets).

I think that it might be up your alley. Being comfortable with first person RPGs and being interested in medieval history go a long way. If you also don't mind a game that's a little more realistic and challenging than your average RPG, then I'd say pick it up. I liked all of those things and enjoyed it. In fact, I'm still waiting for a sequel.

Reactions: SimGrindcore

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea

Yeah those are a big chunk of what I play, though I do often go the melee route in fallout games, and did enjoy skyrim and Witcher 3 a lot

I found Kingdom Come to be a bit more challenging than I preferred and it was more of a chore than fun

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston

It's definitely worth it at that discount IMO, I ended up loving the game. The world is top notch, the story is great, and I really liked the more realistic combat. If you do get it, once you get to the part where you can practice combat with the guard dude, do it a lot. I struggled a ton my first time through, almost giving up. Then I followed that advice that I was given somewhere, learned the counter move, and really got the hang of it. You'll still get surprised and killed by a group on occasion, but it never felt cheap to me and was always pretty much my fault.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Trailer looks really nice, no information on what engine the game is using but I'd be surprised if it's still Cryengine.
It could still be CryEngine because the graphics don't look that different than the original KCD and they don't say much about them in the game reveal trailer (i.e. no mention of ray tracing or what Nanite/Lumen allows them to do now). It also might make sense for them to just upgrade the engine that they're already familiar with rather than replace it. That would allow them to concentrate more on story and gameplay and get it out faster.

Last edited:

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
It could still be CryEngine because the graphics don't look that different than the original KCD and they don't say much about them in the game reveal trailer (i.e. no mention of ray tracing or what Nanite/Lumen allows them to do now). It also might make sense for them to just upgrade the engine that they're already familiar with rather than replace it. That would allow them to concentrate more on story and gameplay and get it out faster.
I'm seeing people say that it is CryEngine. I didn't consider that Crytek is probably knee deep in upgrading the engine for Crysis 4 so sticking with it does make a lot of sense. Either way the first game is really nice looking and this seems to be no different

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I'm seeing people say that it is CryEngine. I didn't consider that Crytek is probably knee deep in upgrading the engine for Crysis 4 so sticking with it does make a lot of sense. Either way the first game is really nice looking and this seems to be no different
Yeah, KCD looked incredibly good in 2018, but brought many PCs, including mine, to their knees. It doesn't need a huge upgrade to still look good and it'll be nice to just have it run a lot better. KCD used CryEngine 4, so KCD2 will probably use CryEngine 5, which has been out since about the time that KCD2 started development. Crytek is currently working on CryEngine 6, which is supposed to have ray tracing, but KCD2 obviously wouldn't release this year if using an unfinished engine and, besides, Crytek would likely want to debut the latest tech with their own game, Crysis 4.

Reactions: Mikeaveli

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Amazing reveal. You can feel the love from the creators.

I don't usually get too excited about games to not hype myself too much and be dissapointed but i can't really help it for this one.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I just hope they didn’t get sweet babied

You realize the only people that work with Sweet Baby Inc. are the people that choose to pay Sweet Baby Inc for their input, right?

It's not like a dark cloud comes over the horizon and covers a developer and then a demonic voice tells them how things will be done from now on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad