Kingdom Come; Deliverance

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
The same thing is happening to me when exiting dialogue, but not when exiting my inventory. I don't find it annoying... yet.

It's actually happening now sometimes when I exit the journal, codex, and map as well. Until it's fixed I'm telling myself that Henry is just sighing really loud because he's desperate for attention.

Also, I decided to start a new game when the patch came out, and so far I haven't got a single random encounter. I even tried just fast travelling back and forth between Rattay and Skalitz several times and still haven't had any encounters. It's nice that I don't keep running across that sissy knight or random dead bodies, but I liked it better when you always had to be on your guard when travelling in certain areas. It made it more interesting when you never knew when a group of bandits or Cumans might ambush you, but now the roads seem perfectly safe.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Also, I decided to start a new game when the patch came out, and so far I haven't got a single random encounter. I even tried just fast travelling back and forth between Rattay and Skalitz several times and still haven't had any encounters. It's nice that I don't keep running across that sissy knight or random dead bodies, but I liked it better when you always had to be on your guard when travelling in certain areas. It made it more interesting when you never knew when a group of bandits or Cumans might ambush you, but now the roads seem perfectly safe.

I haven't had any random encounters for a week and I've never been ambushed by bandits/Cuman. This was all with v1.2.x, so it may have nothing to do with v1.3.x.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
It's actually happening now sometimes when I exit the journal, codex, and map as well. Until it's fixed I'm telling myself that Henry is just sighing really loud because he's desperate for attention.

There's a mod called "Roads Are Dangerous" that adds more ambushes and different enemies. I haven't tried it, but might be worth a look.

I finished my first play through a few days ago. Might start a new one, focus on different things and maybe try some mods.

I basically only used mace/shield and felt like I made a lot of things way too trivial with speech/stealth/lockpicking, so might try a long sword only, honorable knight type of character.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
Don't think I want to play dice here anymore.

55B8893974D81778008FBA1AB94BEEC5981CA350

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I'm noticing quite a few bugs that v1.3.1 has introduced. It's rather amazing that these developers manage to break something every time that they fix something else. Well, actually, as a part-time developer, myself, that's perfectly understandable, but what's harder to understand is how their testing doesn't catch them (especially the easiest ones to notice, like the heavy breathing) or why they release the patches, anyways.

Two are the aforementioned heavy breathing and locked distance detail sliders. Another one that I found last night is that knocking a person out (while crouched) now leaves you with a motionless body that isn't captioned as unconscious or dead and you can't kill it. That's a problem when it comes to bandits, since you can't get the ears or spurs off of them to get credit for killing them. Also, NPC names and their last spoken line occasionally stay on the screen during cutscenes when they shouldn't. Finally, I had a problem last night where none of my quest markers were showing up on the map. They did the day before, on the same patch, so it might be an intermittent thing that a re-launch or re-load might solve; I haven't confirmed yet.

For the quest nest of vipers is there any reason to sabotage, or can you skip it? I know it's optional.

If you skip it, you should probably tell Ratzig that there are "a lot of them" (the last dialog option) when he asks how many enemies you counted. That'll prompt him to send the most soldiers to the battle, which makes the battle easier and probably cancels out the sabotage that you skipped. Actually, I'm not sure that there's any drawback to the option, so the only reason why you may want to tell him that there are fewer men than "a lot" is if you want the challenge. If you're not good at combat and/or you have a low-spec'ed PC, like me, though, you'll probably want to choose "a lot" even if you do the sabotage. Either way, I highly suggest saving just before you report back to Ratzig, so that you can go back and change your decision if the mission is too hard or too easy or kills your framerate.

Last edited:

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Also if you see something you want during the battle, make sure you take a second to loot.

You won't have a chance after. I was a little disappointed with that.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Also if you see something you want during the battle, make sure you take a second to loot.

You won't have a chance after. I was a little disappointed with that.

Yeah, just don't spend too much time. I basically played graverobber the first time while everyone else was fighting and I eventually failed the mission because we lost too many men on account that I wasn't helping to fight. The next time, I ignored the bodies and played the good soldier, figuring that I could loot them later, and all of the bodies were gone by the time that I made it back to the battle site. There were some nice things on most of the bodies, especially armor pieces worth over 500 Groschen each. I was bummed that I ended up missing out on them, especially since I believe that they didn't count as stolen, so they would've been much easier to sell than most of the valuable stuff that I have.

I believe that the most important task for Henry in the battle is taking care of the archers during the 2nd of the three stages. If you ignore them, they'll cut up your troops and you'll lose, but you can actually contribute very little to the battle during the 1st and 3rd stages. Those are probably the best times to loot, if you're going to. In other words, loot until they call on you to take care of the archers, kill all of the archers, then go back to looting. Bear in mind, though, that you do have to fight the boss battle at the end all by yourself, which might be difficult if you're overburdened, so you might want to loot only the very best stuff that you can carry under your weight limit (and, no, dropping them during the boss fight isn't a solution, since you won't have any opportunity to pick them back up).

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I would definitely sabotage them, it s worth it and isn't that difficult to do.

NameInUse

Sep 27, 2017
I've crashed twice to desktop losing over an hour of gameplay. I'm waiting for the PS4 patch before continuing.

Good game so far though. I just hope they can fix it...

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
When you finish the "At Your Service, My Lady" (retrieve items for Lady Stephanie) quest, choose the option to try out her gift and then check your buffs the next chance that you get. Haha.

Just after Lady Stephanie told me that she was too old to have kids and I figured that she was going to sort of adopt me as the son that she never had... she started making out with me and pulled me into bed. Worse, when I awoke and she was nowhere to be found, I discovered that I had a buff called Amor Potion Effect. What the heck?! My almost-adopted mother drugged me to have sex with me! I put my trust in her and she turned into a female Bill Cosby. Oh well. At least my conscience is clear with regard to Theresa. "Babe, the beautiful, wealthy Lady of Talmberg date raped me, I swear!"

Last edited:

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I didn't sabotage the camp and I thought the battle was still relatively easy. Then again, I basically stood in the back and fired off arrows at the enemies. :laugh:

I'm really enjoying the game but I can't stand the combat. It's one thing to be clunky but it takes forever on top of it. The final fight on Nest of Vipers was way too tedious. I actually just took out my bow and kept running around, firing arrows whenever I had some decent distance. I feel like I'm doing something wrong because each fight I'm in basically lasts 5 minutes and it's really demoralizing when you lose the fight just at the end of it.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
This bug that eliminated random encounters really sucks.

Sounds like they have a patch to fix it coming early next week.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
If you get the no random encounter bug, just stop playing and wait for the patch. You will ruin your playthrough if you keep going.

It's basically impossible to find any gear and you won't have enough groschen to even maintain your super shitty armor set.

I'm at the Nest of Vipers now and I might as well be naked.

Huge waste of time.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
If you get the no random encounter bug, just stop playing and wait for the patch. You will ruin your playthrough if you keep going.

It's basically impossible to find any gear and you won't have enough groschen to even maintain your super ****ty armor set.

I'm at the Nest of Vipers now and I might as well be naked.

Huge waste of time.

For what it's worth, I've had no random encounters since very early in the game and I don't feel very held back by it. I have pretty good gear and more than enough groschen (3-6k) to keep my gear repaired at all times, to pay for all of the training that I want, to not bother with ever haggling over prices and to just buy off the guards whenever I'm arrested. That said, I'm a dirty, lockpicking thief, which helps. It may be harder if you're a goodie-two-shoes.

As for Nest of Vipers, you're not trying to fight the bandits and Cuman, are you? It shouldn't matter if you're naked, since the point is to sneak around and sabotage, preferably without engaging. In fact, I'm pretty sure that I did do that mission naked, so to speak, since I take off all of my armor to reduce my "Noise" to 0 when I need to do stealthy things.

I highly advise entering the camp via the open doorway in the cabin in the north, which is a back entrance. In fact, I'm not even sure how you're supposed to complete the mission any other way, since there are so many guards. Follow the camp's wall to the East and North until you reach the cabin, wait until it's dark and soldiers are asleep, then sneak in. Don't miss the chest in the cabin on the right side when you enter. I wasn't able to see it in the dark and relied on the UI notifying me that it was there. It has a couple of quite nice Cuman armor pieces in it.

Here's a guide for that mission with lots of other good tips:
Nest of Vipers | Main quests in Kingdom Come Deliverance - Kingdom Come Deliverance Game Guide

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I've done the battle before.

I just purposefully didn't sabotage and didn't go with the last option for numbers, so it would be a bit harder.

By the end of the first couple skirmishes, my gear was all broken. Maybe I have another bug going on.

I would eat two arrows running up the stairs to the archers and drop to 20% health.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Oh, you're talking about the battle? I looked up the quest just to be sure and it said that it was the sneak and sabotage mission. Is it still called Nest of Vipers during the major battle?

What you described does sound a little extreme. Have you tried running forward with your shield up to block the arrows? That said, even when I did that the first few times, I was nearly dead by the time that I finished off the last archer. Rushing at them with sword and shield may not be the best tactic, I found out.

I had to change my tactic to picking off the archers with arrows. Try standing on the other side of the wooden fence, so that really only your head and shoulders are visible for the archers to hit (even if they even try to hit you) and aim for their faces (which, naturally, is an instant kill). You can kill them all that way without taking much of any damage.

BTW, if you're on PC and don't mind a tiny bit of cheating, you can enable the crosshair for the bow with a console command (wh_pl_showfirecursor 1) or, more permanently, by creating a user.cfg in your game folder with "wh_pl_showfirecursor = 1" in it. It doesn't make aiming too easy because you still have to account for distance, arrow drop, the power of your shot and so on. Even with it on, I was missing 2/3rds of my shots playing chumps (on the river).

Last edited:

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Oops. Was going off memory. I guess it's actually "Baptism by Fire".

I managed to beat it doing basically that. Hit a couple of them with my bow, so they ended up rushing down and joining the crowd.

Grabbed a full set of plate off one of the bandits in the last phase, so I'm in a much better spot now.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I did the battle with a full set of plate and a great mace, so it was pretty easy, unfortunately.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
A few random notes and tips that I've been accumulating and forgetting to mention:

* I've found that you can still unlock chests that are "too difficult" for you. I originally didn't even bother when I saw that message, but I eventually tried once and, after repeated failures, was able to unlock it. Now, my lockpicking is so high that, even though I still get the message on some "Very Hard" chests, I'm usually able to unlock them on the first try. The point is that the "too difficult" message doesn't really mean what it says (unless, say, you're a beginner and you're trying a Very Hard, in which case it might actually be impossible), so don't necessarily give up when you see it.

* At some point during the mid game, stop by the stable lady at the horse farm in Neuhof. She'll give you a quest that, once you complete it, will double your horse's weight limit (and, if you have 1-1.8k groschen, can also upgrade your horse to double it once again). I wish that I'd revisited Neuhof much sooner than now.

* Oh, also, in the courtyard of the horse farm are two doors on one side. Behind one is a "Very Hard" chest that is just loaded with at least 10k worth of expensive bridles, saddles, spurs and horseshoes. Good luck selling them all, but you can use the best ones to get top speed out of your (new) horse. I wasn't even using any spurs or horseshoes at all before, since I'd never seen those anywhere in the world except in the inventories of stablemasters.

* Knocking people out (with the earliest Stealth perk) from a crouch and looting them at your leisure is so much easier than pickpocketing items one at a time and running the risk of being caught. Honestly, pickpocketing seems pretty useless to me. Actually, I suppose that it may be more useful against armed NPCs, which tend to resist being knocked out and turn on you to fight. Pickpocketing them might work a lot better. If the NPCs are unarmed villagers, though, simply knock them out and go to town. In fact, I know that I've completed at least one pickpocketing quest that way. The game apparently doesn't check whether you actually pickpocketed the item. It just counts that you added it to your inventory, even if it was by looting.

Last edited:

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
* Knocking people out (with the earliest Stealth perk) from a crouch and looting them at your leisure is so much easier than pickpocketing items one at a time and running the risk of being caught. Honestly, pickpocketing seems pretty useless to me. Actually, I suppose that it may be more useful against armed NPCs, which tend to resist being knocked out and turn on you to fight. Pickpocketing them might work a lot better. If the NPC is an unarmed villager, though, simply knock them out and go to town. In fact, I know that I've completed at least one pickpocketing quest that way. The game apparently doesn't check whether you actually pickpocketed the item. It just counts that you added it to your inventory, even if it was by looting.

I also find knocking people out to be way more fun. The only real downside is that people can hear you and might come to investigate, whereas, if you're good enough, you can pickpocket someone in a crowd of people as long as nobody is looking right at you. Doing the first quest from the Vagabond in Rattay, I followed the guard down an alley out of sight of everyone and knocked him out. But someone on the main street heard the commotion and then came down and caught me. So I guess it's a situational thing, although on the whole I find knocking people out way more useful.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I also find knocking people out to be way more fun. The only real downside is that people can hear you and might come to investigate, whereas, if you're good enough, you can pickpocket someone in a crowd of people as long as nobody is looking right at you. Doing the first quest from the Vagabond in Rattay, I followed the guard down an alley out of sight of everyone and knocked him out. But someone on the main street heard the commotion and then came down and caught me. So I guess it's a situational thing, although on the whole I find knocking people out way more useful.

I don't think that I've ever been caught while knocking a person out. It's surprised me a few times, too, since I've done it in the presence of other NPCs who have simply been looking in another direction. You might expect them to hear something, especially since the victim makes a little bit of sound through your hand while you're doing it, but I guess that that's just an aesthetic sound effect and your character actually does it completely silently. That was the case even earlier in the game, though, when my Stealth wasn't high.

It would've been nice if they had made it so that victims make enough noise to alert others if you have a really low Stealth skill (meaning that you'd have to practice it only when people are alone, like in the country) and that victims make no noise only if you have really high Stealth. Being able to knock people out in somewhat crowded areas ought to be a perk of leveling up your Stealth. It shouldn't be something that a novice criminal should be able to do early in the game, IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->