Confirmed with Link: Kimmo Timonen Re-signs (Reportedly $2M base; with bonuses could reach $3.5M)

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I'm cool with this. Kimmo is a class act and still one of our better if not best defensemen. He simply can't play too many hard minutes throughout the season any longer so his minutes will need to be managed. Flyers need to add more NHL quality depth back on D whether through a trade or from the farm system.

Last season Kimmo started off slow then was great in the middle of the season and then tailed off again at the end into the playoffs.

south jersey flyer

Jun 2, 2010
Lumberton, NJ
I'm cool with this. Kimmo is a class act and still one of our better if not best defensemen. He simply can't play too many hard minutes throughout the season any longer so his minutes will need to be managed. Flyers need to add more NHL quality depth back on D whether through a trade or from the farm system.

Last season Kimmo started off slow then was great in the middle of the season and then tailed off again at the end into the playoffs.

I wouldn't call him our best defenseman. He's our smartest defenseman, but his physical capability has diminished significantly. I'd say either Coburn or Streit is our best defenseman.

Bob Clarke Fan Club

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
I wouldn't call him our best defenseman. He's our smartest defenseman, but his physical capability has diminished significantly. I'd say either Coburn or Streit is our best defenseman.

I would agree with that. He's still a great puck distributor and no one is even close on the blue line when it comes to handling a 2 on 1 after a turnover. Which seems to unfortunately happen to us a lot. It's really close though IMO, His lack of foot speed is becoming pretty evident these last couple of years...as others have mentioned.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
With this beyond somewhat of a transition year – looking for rookies to work their way into the line-up – I'd hope that Berube would make better use of healthy scratches and 13th forward / 7th defenseman to give players like Timonen some rest, especially on back-to-back games.

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly
With this beyond somewhat of a transition year – looking for rookies to work their way into the line-up – I'd hope that Berube would make better use of healthy scratches and 13th forward / 7th defenseman to give players like Timonen some rest, especially on back-to-back games.

As long as we have a competent 7th Dman like Eric Gust.... OOOOPS. :rant:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Well at least the Phantoms will be a short drive now in Allentown opposed to Adirondack.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
He's a part owner of KalPa with Kapanen. He'll probably end up back there and involved with the national team when he retires.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I wasn't really all that in favor of trading Grossmann (though I wasn't really against it either), but I am right now officially 100% on the trade Grossmann right ****ing now bandwagon. Nothing against Grossmann, but one year of Timonen left...one of our young guys needs to play on the same team as him. Ghost or Hagg (or Morin if he is ready) needs to play with a guy like that. Coburn and Streit are solid veterans, but neither have the fight or the skill of Timonen.

Timonen
Coburn
Streit
AMac
Schenn
Ghost/Hagg/Morin

Sorry Grossmann...you are the odd man out. I normally wouldn't have a problem bringing Grossmann back (though I wasn't opposed to trading him either), but I just feel like this is a perfect opportunity to groom a Ghost or a Hagg, who it is my understanding both play similar games to Timonen.

Akanon

Apr 15, 2012
I doubt that. he has kids who grew up in Philly. Kimmo is here to stay.

Kimmo has said that they might move back to Finland when his hockey career is over. He has a few restaurants in here and he said that it would be nice to really get in the restaurant business. But it's been about two years when he said that, so you never know what his plans are now.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
I wasn't really all that in favor of trading Grossmann (though I wasn't really against it either), but I am right now officially 100% on the trade Grossmann right ****ing now bandwagon. Nothing against Grossmann, but one year of Timonen left...one of our young guys needs to play on the same team as him. Ghost or Hagg (or Morin if he is ready) needs to play with a guy like that. Coburn and Streit are solid veterans, but neither have the fight or the skill of Timonen.

Timonen
Coburn
Streit
AMac
Schenn
Ghost/Hagg/Morin

Sorry Grossmann...you are the odd man out. I normally wouldn't have a problem bringing Grossmann back (though I wasn't opposed to trading him either), but I just feel like this is a perfect opportunity to groom a Ghost or a Hagg, who it is my understanding both play similar games to Timonen.

Who are you and why am I agreeing with you?

;)

Only thing I disagree with is that I put Alt in that list also. But 100% agree time to change the defensive culture. Dallas is changing also. Got rid of Aaron Rome to allow for a young gun to grow and mature. Seems like the Flyers are one of the few that dont like doing that.

Seriously hard to think of another team that doesnt have a 20/21 yr old rookie or 2nd year player they are trying to groom.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Who are you and why am I agreeing with you?

;)

Only thing I disagree with is that I put Alt in that list also. But 100% agree time to change the defensive culture. Dallas is changing also. Got rid of Aaron Rome to allow for a young gun to grow and mature. Seems like the Flyers are one of the few that dont like doing that.

Seriously hard to think of another team that doesn't have a 20/21 yr old rookie or 2nd year player they are trying to groom.

Eh, I'm not as high on Mark Alt as many of you on here. Unless he is leaps and bounds ahead of Ghost or Hagg, I would prefer "grooming" Ghost or Hagg. Even if Alt becomes a serviceable NHLer, I feel that Ghost or Hagg would benefit more from the playing time and the Timonen time.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006

Timonen
Coburn
Streit
AMac
Schenn
Ghost/Hagg/Morin

Gostisbehere has a better skill set than Timonen, but doesn't have Kimmo's hockey sense in the defensive zone. Hagg plays a lot like a combination of Grossmann and Coburn. He's not quite as quick as Coburn (a much better skater than Grossmann), but he brings a lot of the same snarl along the boards that Grossmann provides with about the same level of puck skills that Coburn brings.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Eh, I'm not as high on Mark Alt as many of you on here. Unless he is leaps and bounds ahead of Ghost or Hagg, I would prefer "grooming" Ghost or Hagg. Even if Alt becomes a serviceable NHLer, I feel that Ghost or Hagg would benefit more from the playing time and the Timonen time.

I just dont think he has the "love" the other 3 have. He is not a FA but a past 2nd round pick just like Hagg is. Reason he was traded was because he didnt want to sign in Carolina. Skates extremely well and very good defensively. Passing is well also. His main weakness is that he relies on his stamina/athletisim when he gets into position trouble.

I THINK he could turn into a 4. Mind you I like him because honestly all the other defenders in ADK struggled.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota

Timonen
Coburn
Streit
AMac
Schenn
Ghost/Hagg/Morin

For the argument's sake let's say that one of the kids will not need AHL time and will be ready to step into the NHL full time... that would leave the Flyers with one real banger on D... unless you want to consider Coburn in that category... Grossmann is the Flyers' crease clearer and has his role.

All that said, IMO it is a big assumption that one of the young D will earn a spot on the Roster and be able to play very game against NHL level competition. D-men take longer to develop and often rushing can interfere with their growth... There are a few that can step up, but they are much more the exception than the rule. The Flyers have made a recent strong push for home grown D-men for the future... Homer when GM mentioned that one of them could conceivably force their hands and earn a spot... but IIRC he expected them to need time.

I understand the desire to have one of the kids play with Kimmo, but I feel the timing just didn't fall into place... Maybe bringing Kimmo back as a coach could help going forward. JMO.

RJ8812*

Kimmo has said that they might move back to Finland when his hockey career is over. He has a few restaurants in here and he said that it would be nice to really get in the restaurant business. But it's been about two years when he said that, so you never know what his plans are now.

umm, aren't you also the Finnish fan that claimed Timonen is 100% retiring this summer?

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
umm, aren't you also the Finnish fan that claimed Timonen is 100% retiring this summer?
Well, honestly, that doesn't make his report here false and he didn't even say Timonen would be returning home. He just gave an argument as to why Timonen might not be "here to stay". Personally, I don't think even Timonen himself knows at this point what he'll do, and I'm sure it's going to be a tough decision for the whole family due to ties both here and back home.

Akanon

Apr 15, 2012

Nope. I wanted him to retire, but that's an awesome contract so I'm happy as a pig in a ****.

Well, honestly, that doesn't make his report here false and he didn't even say Timonen would be returning home. He just gave an argument as to why Timonen might not be "here to stay". Personally, I don't think even Timonen himself knows at this point what he'll do, and I'm sure it's going to be a tough decision for the whole family due to ties both here and back home.

I totally agree with you on that one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad