Confirmed with Link: Kimmo Timonen Re-signs (Reportedly $2M base; with bonuses could reach $3.5M)

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
everyone knows the guy has lost a step. but you know what you are going to get with him. He knows what his limitations are and what he loses in his footspeed he makes up for it in where to be on the ice, heart and that high hockey IQ

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
as much as i love kimmo, I kind of wanted him to retire. Only because i feel like he has been a crutch that has been keeping this team afloat for too long. Eventually we are going to have to see what it is like without him and see what the young guys can do. I still hope one of alt, ghost, or hagg can get some regular pt this year because they are going to need to be depended upon later and it will be nice to get some of the learning curve out of the way.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Timonen at such a low cap hit is like having one's cake and eating it, too. He's perfect as the missing vet if (when) one of the rookies sticks with the club.

Another move needs to be made, though, to free up a D slot.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Good stuff.

The guy is still our best possession defenceman and arguably the best defenceman we have defensively still.

Yes his footspeed has somewhat deserted him, but he has such a good hockey brain that he is still very, very effective.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It's not simply $2M. $2M is a base salary, it's what capgeek says. They can go over the cap on his bonuses with a reduction on 2016 cap if need be, but it's not a straight $2M cap hit, of course unless he doesn't hit the bonuses. I haven't read through the thread yet to see what the bonuses are, but I'm sure some of them will be attained, so they can't operate as if Timonen is only going to make $2M.

With that said, Kimmo Forever

Patrick Division

Jan 13, 2008
NJ
It's not simply $2M. $2M is a base salary, it's what capgeek says. They can go over the cap on his bonuses with a reduction on 2016 cap if need be, but it's not a straight $2M cap hit, of course unless he doesn't hit the bonuses. I haven't read through the thread yet to see what the bonuses are, but I'm sure some of them will be attained, so they can't operate as if Timonen is only going to make $2M.

This is what i meant...but since I'm too lazy to type all this I'll just continue to call it 2 mil.

Tedeward

Jan 24, 2014
Philly

With that said, Kimmo Forever

I think of it as a deal where its 1 year for 2 mil, but if he meets the bonuses it becomes a 2 year 4 mil deal except that he wont be playing the 2nd year.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Yeah we're likely going to be docked a mil or two in dead space the next year but hopefully the backend will be cheap by then with some of the younger players cracking the lineup.

I also think this eliminates any chance they'll take salary back from Vinny.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Unless the Flyers use all their Cap Space at Regular Season's end, at least some... if not all... of the bonus will be taken care of in 2014-15. A team cannot go over the Cap, so it's either under or directly at it... How the LTIR allowance is taken into account in this matter, I'm not sure about. Possibly Pronger's LTIR allowance might come into play and how this all is effects how the Bonus counts against the Cap depends on the way the CBA is written... which I'm not aware of.

But again, as I see it, Hexy has some added UFA flexibility and options with the Bonus dollars being there rather than in the contract and against the Cap... and the PreSeason over the Cap allowance is not eaten into as much. So no matter what, it does help in being able to sign players to the roster before the opening roster and Pronger's being placed on LTIR, when $2M is not counted against the team.

The Couturier Effect

Aug 8, 2012
@renlavoietva
#flyers Kimmo Timonen contract: 2M$ base salary + 750 000 at 10 games + 250 000 at 20 games + 250 000 at 30 games + 250 000 at 60 games.

I think he'll reach all of them.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
That's ****ing awesome. $3.5m is probably going to be enough to cover on this year's cap. Great way to start the offseason.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
@renlavoietva
#flyers Kimmo Timonen contract: 2M$ base salary + 750 000 at 10 games + 250 000 at 20 games + 250 000 at 30 games + 250 000 at 60 games.

I think he'll reach all of them.

It allows them cap space in the off-season since they can't do anything with Pronger's contract, and use overage next year if necessary. Bruins did the same thing with Iginla. Iginla had a big bonus at 10 games as well, he had a $1.8M base salary, but his contract had bonuses that made it $6M.

Chicken Chaser

Zaphod Beeblebrox
Mar 21, 2009
St. James's Gate
So where were reporters getting the 4.4 from?

12033675974_2ba598a2e6_z.jpg

they put a decimal point in between those two numbers, makes sense

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad