Proposal: Killorn to MTL

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
I believe Killorn lives in Mtl, so he would be back home.

Tampa is in cap hell, leaf had to give a 1st rounder to get rid of Marleau, I would give a 3rd pick max for Killorn.

Valuable player, but Tampa is in a very bad situation and I think would be happy to get a 3rd pick and keep Cirelli and Sergachev.
You're insane. Killorn will absolutely fetch a 1st rounder.

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
You're insane. Killorn will absolutely fetch a 1st rounder.

take a minute and go see Tampa’s situation on Cap Friendly. Now tell me how are they gonna sign Sergachev and Cirelli as well as 5 more debt players with $5.3M of cap space

Tampa is in Cap Hell therefore has very little leverage in its negotiations, especially considering Killorn has a NMC and will need to be protected in the expansion draft.

GMs have done plenty of stupid moves but one would be really stupid to help Tampa get out of their Cap Hell and give them a 1st on top of that.
It’s not about Killorn value, it’s about Tampa’s bad cap situation

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
take a minute and go see Tampa’s situation on Cap Friendly. Now tell me how are they gonna sign Sergachev and Cirelli as well as 5 more debt players with $5.3M of cap space

Tampa is in Cap Hell therefore has very little leverage in its negotiations, especially considering Killorn has a NMC and will need to be protected in the expansion draft.

GMs have done plenty of stupid moves but one would be really stupid to help Tampa get out of their Cap Hell and give them a 1st on top of that.
Give me an example of a player that would normally go for a 1st and went for a 3rd because of their team's cap situation. I'd love to hear about it. People said it about players for Tampa before. For the Blackhawks. It never happens.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018

So just going to make up things? Killorn doesn't have a NMC. Its a modified NTC which allows him to submit a trade list of 16 teams. Over half the league. He doesn't have to be protected. But if you weren't going to make up lies, how else would you push your narrative that everyone is

A) Either too old
B) Not worth their contract
C) Not effective
D) All of the above

Killorn is the type of player any team on the edge of the playoffs or a contender wants.

You can't also sit there and think some team in the West could give a flying f*** what Tampa's situation is. It's like in your brain you think 30 GM's are sitting there going "Killorn would vastly improve our team, but you know what, let me send this mass email and convince the rest of the league to go out of their to f*** Tampa so I can get a better deal."

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
Give me an example of a player that would normally go for a 1st and went for a 3rd because of their team's cap situation. I'd love to hear about it. People said it about players for Tampa before. For the Blackhawks. It never happens.

It’s a pretty unique situation because Tampa has to resign two great young players, playing the most important position in top 4 D and Top 2 C and have a ridiculously small cap room to do it. Leaf gave a freaking 1sr to trade Marleau! Montreal got Armia (not the same level but somewhat comparable roles) for a 4th and taking Mason’s contract.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
So just going to make up things? Killorn doesn't have a NMC. Its a modified NTC which allows him to submit a trade list of 16 teams. Over half the league. He doesn't have to be protected. But if you weren't going to make up lies, how else would you push your narrative that everyone is

A) Either too old
C) Not effective
D) All of the above

Killorn is the type of player any team on the edge of the playoffs or a contender wants.

You can't also sit there and think some team in the West could give a flying f*** what Tampa's situation is. It's like in your brain you think 30 GM's are sitting there going "Killorn would vastly improve our team, but you know what, let me send this mass email and convince the rest of the league to go out of their to f*** Tampa so I can get a better deal."
Love the mass conspiracy theory 30 teams will not trade for Killorn for the betterment of the TML, Mon, Bost, etc. Fans are so jealous of TBL they would rather see them fail then demand their own gm's do better.

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal

A) Either too old
C) Not effective
D) All of the above

Hey relax bud, don’t call me a liar if I made a mistake saying he has a NMC vs. a NTC.

Again chill, no need to get all mad because your Team has zero leverage due to a cap room of $5M to sign 6 players. Yeah GMs of all 16 teams on that list will take into Tampa’s context and try to negotiate the best deal they can.

Reactions: heilongjetsfan

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Hey relax bud, don’t call me a liar if I made a mistake saying he has a NMC vs. a NTC.

Again chill, no need to get all mad because your Team has zero leverage due to a cap room of $5M to sign 6 players. Yeah GMs of all 16 teams on that list will take into Tampa’s context and try to negotiate the best deal they can.
You need leverage in negotiations between two parties. When you add 14 more parties to the equation, it changes things.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
It’s a pretty unique situation because Tampa has to resign two great young players, playing the most important position in top 4 D and Top 2 C and have a ridiculously small cap room to do it. Leaf gave a freaking 1sr to trade Marleau! Montreal got Armia (not the same level but somewhat comparable roles) for a 4th and taking Mason’s contract.
Marleau was a 40+ year old with a higher salary and worse stats. It's not even close to comparable. It's not a unique situation. It just happened with JT Miller. Everyone thought TB was bent over a barrel and they still got better than a 1st rounder.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

Tampa will easily get everyone signed and under the cap, they may not even need to trade Killorn to do it. They can sign the likes of Stephens, Verheaghe, Joseph and Volkov to 700k deals, call up Foote, trade Paquette for a 4th round pick and then sign Sergachev, Cirelli and Cernak to the Lebanc deal and have 200k left over.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I believe Killorn lives in Mtl, so he would be back home.

Tampa is in cap hell, leaf had to give a 1st rounder to get rid of Marleau, I would give a 3rd pick max for Killorn.

Valuable player, but Tampa is in a very bad situation and I think would be happy to get a 3rd pick and keep Cirelli and Sergachev.

Leafs unloading Marleau for the purpose of buyout (cap hit and money to write off) is not the same as Tampa moving Killorn for cap reasons. Killorn can still play and is on a decent contract ($4.45M) for 3 more years from age 31-33.

I think Tampa will try other options before they are forced to move Killorn. I know the other guys have full NTC but that's where they focus on first... Starting with Gourde, then Johnson. Will be interesting to see what they can pull off.

If it comes down to Killorn... I think there will be several teams interested. Buying low is a dream IMO. Personally, I rather let them drown in their cap space hell

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Tampa will easily get everyone signed and under the cap, they may not even need to trade Killorn to do it. They can sign the likes of Stephens, Verheaghe, Joseph and Volkov to 700k deals, call up Foote, trade Paquette for a 4th round pick and then sign Sergachev, Cirelli and Cernak to the Lebanc deal and have 200k left over.

Math don't add up.
- 15 players signed with $5.3M in cap space.
- They will not get all 3 of Sergachev, Cirelli, and Cernak on the Lebanc deal for $1M each. What do you think the probability of that is? -0%? :laugh:

All 3 will cost around $9M+.
* Sergachev can be bridged like McAvoy. $4.9M for 3 years.
* Cirelli will likely get a 2 or 3 year deal around $3M - $4M range (Similar to Kapanen)
* Cernak can get a Lebanc deal though

Knowing Tampa, they will try to unload Stamkos on the Habs for Caufield and a 2nd :sarcasm:

Last edited:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Math don't add up.
- 15 players signed with $5.3M in cap space.
- They will not get all 3 of Sergachev, Cirelli, and Cernak on the Lebanc deal for $1M each. What do you think the probability of that is? -0%? :laugh:
It's probably more likely they sign for less than Lebanc seeing as how he was coming off a 56 point season which is better than any of the three.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It's probably more likely they sign for less than Lebanc seeing as how he was coming off a 56 point season which is better than any of the three.

Using Lebanc's deal is cherry picking to the max and you know it! Wonder if the Avs can get Graves on that same $1M deal eh? :facepalm:

You can't be serious?

LePenseur

Nov 5, 2016
The reality ( to me only) is winning and quality of players is the last of owners concerns.

Everybody sees people as " they are worth this much" then we can clear cap space easily. Reality will be, " 20% of my businesses are going bankrupt, and I have this toy, as a NHL franchise hoping i can sell it for a capital gain in some years. Yep what get liquidated first?

The toy!
Expect to see firesales, crazy stuff happening. Imagine almost everyone is acting in a money pinching way as they are all the Ottawa's Senator all at the same time. ( No disrespect to the fans).

So all sell, nobody buy, we saw, 6m$ Marleau contract worth a 1 round pick, now it it tighter, is 3m$ contract worth a first ? Everybody will say no, but who is willing to pay cash and spend cap hit?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Love the mass conspiracy theory 30 teams will not trade for Killorn for the betterment of the TML, Mon, Bost, etc. Fans are so jealous of TBL they would rather see them fail then demand their own gm's do better.

I actually think teams in the division should not help Tampa. Jealous or not... it's a good strategy. And for all we know, Killorn puts those teams on his NTC list cause he don't want to stay in the division if he is traded.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
he has a 16 team NTC, 3 years at 4.5M, turns 31 in 13 days. Not sure he would want to play for the Habs.

lol this made be laugh because yesterday, on RDS (french TSN), Drouin said that suzuki and KK would draw in bigger names to play into montreal, much like Tavares in Toronto. Imagine.. the kids looked awesome in the playoffs, but come on! A lil early for these types of talk, but it is refreshing to hear the Mtl medias being excited for once.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
lol this made be laugh because yesterday, on RDS (french TSN), Drouin said that suzuki and KK would draw in bigger names to play into montreal, much like Tavares in Toronto. Imagine.. the kids looked awesome in the playoffs, but come on! A lil early for these types of talk, but it is refreshing to hear the Mtl medias being excited for once.

It is a bit early yes but it's an encouraging sign to see us have centers for a change. Only took a few decades

Reactions: Gaud

Gaud

May 11, 2017
It is a bit early yes but it's an encouraging sign to see us have centers for a change. Only took a few decades
i dont disagree that they looked good, but im not ready to say definitively that KK is our 2nd center just yet. that said, I liked how physical he played - i remember he used to get bounced around last year.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If the Habs trade for Killorn... be careful with the expansion draft cause you won't be able to send a contract the other way. I think this would be an issue with many teams who are interested in Killorn so yeah, I do think that lowers his value to some degree.

Kotkaniemi, Gallagher, Danault, Drouin, Tatar, Lehkonen, Armia, Evans, Byron... Add Killorn.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
i dont disagree that they looked good, but im not ready to say definitively that KK is our 2nd center just yet. that said, I liked how physical he played - i remember he used to get bounced around last year.

Honestly, I think we have 4 2nd line centers of different types and at different stages of their development. Danault, Suzuki, KK, Domi. Domi looks like he will be moved cause he is better suited at center. I find it funny how some Habs fans think we will have a 1st, 2nd, 3rd lines when it's tracking to be three 2nd line qualities. We certainly won't be top line heavy

I get what you are saying and we need a larger sample size yet still. But how they played in the playoffs was impressive. Building on confidence is key.

- Danault is proven.. no need to explain him.

- Suzuki had a wicket first year as a pro and the development steps he has taken in draft +1, +2, and his 1st year of Pro (draft +3) are a steep upward trajectory

- Kotkaniemi had a decent age 18 season in his draft +1 but should not have been rushed to the NHL. His draft +2 was rough for him but he rebounded after his spleen injury. He is really the wild card

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Honestly, I think we have 4 2nd line centers of different types and at different stages of their development. Danault, Suzuki, KK, Domi. Domi looks like he will be moved cause he is better suited at center. I find it funny how some Habs fans think we will have a 1st, 2nd, 3rd lines when it's tracking to be three 2nd line qualities. We certainly won't be top line heavy

I get what you are saying and we need a larger sample size yet still. But how they played in the playoffs was impressive. Building on confidence is key.

- Danault is proven.. no need to explain him.

- Suzuki had a wicket first year as a pro and the development steps he has taken in draft +1, +2, and his 1st year of Pro (draft +3) are a steep upward trajectory

- Kotkaniemi had a decent age 18 season in his draft +1 but should not have been rushed to the NHL. His draft +2 was rough for him but he rebounded after his spleen injury. He is really the wild card
Agree! I definitely see a shift between "retooling" and what is happening now. I think if Romanov fills half the expectations people have of him, and if mtl picks up a #2 goalie, mtl will surely have a team that makes the playoffs. Then you can start adding around the core - imagining adding a Hall to the forward group? changes everything

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Agree! I definitely see a shift between "retooling" and what is happening now. I think if Romanov fills half the expectations people have of him, and if mtl picks up a #2 goalie, mtl will surely have a team that makes the playoffs. Then you can start adding around the core - imagining adding a Hall to the forward group? changes everything

This summer will be interesting with the flat cap issues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad