Proposal: Killorn to MTL

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Killorn is a 40+ point winger (when playing with an above average forward corps in Tampa, Montreal has less skill in it's forward group). Is he really an upgrade on the wing for Montreal? Over 30 now so likely not going to get any better. At $4.5 million and at the cost of assets, I don't see the reason for Montreal to go after him.

No, he's not better than our current forwards. Tying up cap on another average winger would be dumb. He can go elsewhere.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
I see it's that time of the year when Habs fans think literally any player who's not a top-10 talent in the league is of no use for their team...

Killorn would be a good addition on this Habs lineup, and would add some much-needed jam to the middle-6. If we trade Domi for a top-4 LHD and get Killorn in a subsequent move, while getting a capable backup goalie, I'll call this offseason successful. Unsexy, but successful.

Drouin - Suzuki - Gallagher
Tatar - Kotkaniemi - Armia
Killorn - Danault - Lehkonen
XXX - Evans - XXX

Brodin - Weber
Romanov - Petry
Chiarot - Kulak

Price
Capable backup

Not a Stanley Cup contender but definitely a step in a good direction. That D looks great.

Reactions: pman25

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
Give me an example of a player that would normally go for a 1st and went for a 3rd because of their team's cap situation. I'd love to hear about it. People said it about players for Tampa before. For the Blackhawks. It never happens.
I don’t know if a perfect example off the top off my head, but there’s been examples like TT & Bickel going to Carolina where a player was moved cheaply to create cap space, Marleau would be another.

I also can’t give you another example of a time where there was a flat cap, economic recession and looming expansion draft either. There is a lot more variables at play compared to any other off-season in recent memory.

Taking lessons from Rutherford, and using a trade that is widely looked at as an overpay as a foundation of market value, also isn’t a good idea. I think it’s pretty clear the market hasn’t been set yet, and speculation based on one bad trade is silly.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
I actually think teams in the division should not help Tampa. Jealous or not... it's a good strategy. And for all we know, Killorn puts those teams on his NTC list cause he don't want to stay in the division if he is traded.
It is a dreadful strategy to sacrificing your team value because one team is head and shoulders above everyone else talent wise.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Hey relax bud, don’t call me a liar if I made a mistake saying he has a NMC vs. a NTC.

Again chill, no need to get all mad because your Team has zero leverage due to a cap room of $5M to sign 6 players. Yeah GMs of all 16 teams on that list will take into Tampa’s context and try to negotiate the best deal they can.
This is conjecture. Look at the Jake Allen trade. While its only 1 year, Jake Allen is a back up goalie making 4.35M a year. Killorn is still an effective 2nd liner. Its absolutely asinine to think teams would prioritize screwing over Tampa over improving their team. EVERY GM tries to get the best deal, but at the end of the day people will do whats best to improve their team.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
I don’t know if a perfect example off the top off my head, but there’s been examples like TT & Bickel going to Carolina where a player was moved cheaply to create cap space, Marleau would be another.

I also can’t give you another example of a time where there was a flat cap, economic recession and looming expansion draft either. There is a lot more variables at play compared to any other off-season in recent memory.

Taking lessons from Rutherford, and using a trade that is widely looked at as an overpay as a foundation of market value, also isn’t a good idea. I think it’s pretty clear the market hasn’t been set yet, and speculation based on one bad trade is silly.
Bickell wasn't playing anymore, and Marleau was an over 35 bloated contract and he was a shell of his former self. They are not comparable at all.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Seriously, any team could use an Alex Killorn, including Montreal. Can play up and down the line up, good for 15-20 goals a year, maybe pushes 25 again! Playoff experience. Signed for four years on a reasonable cap hit. That's a valuable player if you ask me...

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
Bickell wasn't playing anymore, and Marleau was an over 35 bloated contract and he was a shell of his former self. They are not comparable at all.
Bickell played 21 games for the Carolina franchise, so yeah he was still playing. If that is what your take-a-way is from what I wrote, I don't think there's any more to say...

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
In the year of Covid, I think we'll get something around a 2nd +. In a regular year I think he would get a 1st. He's an ideal depth player -- contributes offensively while playing a very responsible game. He also seems to score regardless of linemates and role.

This year was no doubt an anomaly, but I think it does bump his value up. I don't think anybody buys that he's going to score 25+ for the rest of his contract, but doing it once makes him a bit more valuable, trade-wise, than if he had just put in another 18-goal, 41 point season. He's also a proven playoff performer, and just the model of consistency.

We wouldn't be trading him if we weren't forced to, so it's hard to believe there won't be a handful of bidders, which will get the price up to a reasonable point.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
He grew up and lives here. Tampa is hard up against cap. Type of safe player Bergevin prefers. So, many connecting dots there.

St. Louis 2nd most I would give up for Killorn. If he was Kapanen age maybe a first, or 2 2nds. But at 31?
Let's say Tampa decides they want to move him for cap reasons, what would Tampa look to get for him? Futures?

Ledge And Dairy

I believe Killorn lives in Mtl, so he would be back home.

Tampa is in cap hell, leaf had to give a 1st rounder to get rid of Marleau, I would give a 3rd pick max for Killorn.

Valuable player, but Tampa is in a very bad situation and I think would be happy to get a 3rd pick and keep Cirelli and Sergachev.
Marleau played exactly zero games for Carolina and cost them 6.25M cap space, he had negative value. Killorn is miles from negative value and he is on a good deal for what he provides. Your petty offer of a 3rd will easily be topped by like 12+ teams

Reactions: Benstheman

Ledge And Dairy

Hey relax bud, don’t call me a liar if I made a mistake saying he has a NMC vs. a NTC.

Again chill, no need to get all mad because your Team has zero leverage due to a cap room of $5M to sign 6 players. Yeah GMs of all 16 teams on that list will take into Tampa’s context and try to negotiate the best deal they can.
Odd how zero leverage netted Tampa a 1st and a prospect last year for JT Miller. Their cap situation was equally as bad last year yet they managed to dump both Miller and Callahan with minimal cap returned (literally only Mike Condon)

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
take a minute and go see Tampa’s situation on Cap Friendly. Now tell me how are they gonna sign Sergachev and Cirelli as well as 5 more debt players with $5.3M of cap space

Tampa is in Cap Hell therefore has very little leverage in its negotiations, especially considering Killorn has a NMC and will need to be protected in the expansion draft.

GMs have done plenty of stupid moves but one would be really stupid to help Tampa get out of their Cap Hell and give them a 1st on top of that.
It’s not about Killorn value, it’s about Tampa’s bad cap situation
First off it only takes 1 other GM to want a player and say "I'll give you 2 seconds" and then a bidding war could start. A first is too high in my opinion but you never know, you are acting like Montreal is the only team looking to improve or potentially making a play. Secondly he does not have a NMC, and he doesn't need ED protection, he has a Modifies No Trade Clause - he can have a 16 team not trade list but again no. Yes Killorn needs to move along with 1 of TJ/Gourde, but I don't see people getting Killorn for a dance and a mid round pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad