Post-Game Talk: Killa Cam, yo

SKjEi o2

Nov 13, 2013
here we go again, mcdonagh has 1 game where he plays very well and he's lidstrom :shakehead

how bout putin a string of very good games together, consistency!!!

You mean what he's been doing his entire career? I dont think a word describes McDonagh better than consistent.

Bullseyes

Aug 16, 2013
Honestly, though scared to say it owing to our repeatedly noted habits of overreaction and perhaps exaggeration, I need to point out a series of plays McDonagh made near his net during the 3rd period tonight. First, he used his body positioning perfectly, somehow managing to hit the rushing Nashville player, who looked to have at least a step on McD, both separating and shielding the player away from the puck. Then, before the announcers could even finish complimenting McD on the maneuver, he gains control of the puck behind the blue line on the other side of the net, and, cool as ice, threads a perfect pass between the sticks of the two approaching Nashville forecheckers and directly onto the tape of the Ranger forward; single hand-idly snuffing Nashville's rush before creating and executing a near perfect defensive zone exit.

And suddenly, at this moment, with a jolt something like a piss shiver, I found myself struck with the realization that Ryan McDonagh's ceiling could, possibly, actually be somewhere in the neighborhood of, yep I'm going to say it, none other than Nicholas mother *** Lidstrom. Now clearly, Lidstrom is one of, if not, THE greatest defensemen to ever play the game, and I'm definitely not saying McDonagh will or is even likely to ever achieve even near that level of greatness. But, as I watch McDonagh's game develop, and in particular the growing confidence in his offensive game, the overall package and style of play just screams Lidstrom to me.(again, granted, not now or likely ever reaching that level). Now, considering the level of play the kid started his NHL career playing at, his subsequent impressive development curve, and his still young age, and triggered by witnessing of more and more plays like the one mentioned above, I find myself firmly of the belief that Ryan McDonagh has the potential to become one of the best defensemen of his generation and possibly more. He'll never be super flashy or deliver a ton of crushing hits, but he's already an A+ defender with good size, great skating, and what seem to be fast approaching top of the charts defensive instincts. The future is incredibly bright for MacTruck and seeing that play I just got too excited not to share with you guys.

McDonagh was very impressive last night but as much I love McDoangh, I don't think his ceiling is Lidstrom or anywhere close. Although I'd love for him to prove me wrong there.

I agree with the Ryan Suter comparison.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
The thing that drives me crazy about McDonagh, is that every couple of games he pulls some crazy Zherdev-esque maneuver that takes you out of your seat. Yet, of all the Rangers blue liners, he probably looks the most uncomfortable with the puck at the point at even strength. He is absolutely horrible at getting a decent shot off in those situations. The little pivot and muffin shot need to go.

Wolfy*

The second goal was first of all great teamwork. But Zucc outplayed the goalie and allowed Stepan to put it in the open net. One of Stepan's easiest goals this season.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Ryan McDonagh had one of the best defensive games I can recall...those subtle outlet passes that trap the D are just amazing to watch...everyones converging on him, he does a tiny little pass right in front of the net, springs a 4 on 3 rush heading the other way. he's just so damn good to watch. Should be a Norris nominee imho.

Have said it before.

McDonagh is the third best Rangers dman in last 50 years. He will be a Hall of Famer.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Hard for me to believe that anyone thinks Lidstrom could be the greatest dman of all time.

He is in the discussion for second best.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Have said it before.

McDonagh is the third best Rangers dman in last 50 years. He will be a Hall of Famer.

I've been saying exactly that, almost word-for-word :laugh:. When people ask me what my bold hockey prediction is for the next 20 years, I say it's McD making the HOF.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
Missed the game.

Really glad to see that Stepan netted one again. Hope it fuels his confidence and makes him score more goals on that line.

Pouliot gets his deserved icetime as well.. he makes me miss Pyatt

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
Not really being discussed but John Moore had a really good game last night.

Anton Stralman has also been the most consistent Rangers D this whole season.

RangersHank*

Here comes the McD hype. Great Dman but lets slow down a little. Hall of fame? Lidstrom? Slow down.

Bullseyes

Aug 16, 2013
The second goal was first of all great teamwork. But Zucc outplayed the goalie and allowed Stepan to put it in the open net. One of Stepan's easiest goals this season.

It was great work by both of them, but I don't get why some people are downplaying the part Stepan played in it (not necessarily saying you, just others in this thread). He started the play.

profchaos2001

Mar 2, 2012
The thing that drives me crazy about McDonagh, is that every couple of games he pulls some crazy Zherdev-esque maneuver that takes you out of your seat. Yet, of all the Rangers blue liners, he probably looks the most uncomfortable with the puck at the point at even strength. He is absolutely horrible at getting a decent shot off in those situations. The little pivot and muffin shot need to go.

you mean Michael DelZaster, right? think you got #27 mixed up with someone

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Just saying McDonagh's 11-12 season reminded me of how when I'd watch Lidstrom, he virtually always made the smart play. That's all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad