Post-Game Talk: Killa Cam, yo

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Honestly, though scared to say it owing to our repeatedly noted habits of overreaction and perhaps exaggeration, I need to point out a series of plays McDonagh made near his net during the 3rd period tonight. First, he used his body positioning perfectly, somehow managing to hit the rushing Nashville player, who looked to have at least a step on McD, both separating and shielding the player away from the puck. Then, before the announcers could even finish complimenting McD on the maneuver, he gains control of the puck behind the blue line on the other side of the net, and, cool as ice, threads a perfect pass between the sticks of the two approaching Nashville forecheckers and directly onto the tape of the Ranger forward; single hand-idly snuffing Nashville's rush before creating and executing a near perfect defensive zone exit.

And suddenly, at this moment, with a jolt something like a piss shiver, I found myself struck with the realization that Ryan McDonagh's ceiling could, possibly, actually be somewhere in the neighborhood of, yep I'm going to say it, none other than Nicholas mother *** Lidstrom. Now clearly, Lidstrom is one of, if not, THE greatest defensemen to ever play the game, and I'm definitely not saying McDonagh will or is even likely to ever achieve even near that level of greatness. But, as I watch McDonagh's game develop, and in particular the growing confidence in his offensive game, the overall package and style of play just screams Lidstrom to me.(again, granted, not now or likely ever reaching that level). Now, considering the level of play the kid started his NHL career playing at, his subsequent impressive development curve, and his still young age, and triggered by witnessing of more and more plays like the one mentioned above, I find myself firmly of the belief that Ryan McDonagh has the potential to become one of the best defensemen of his generation and possibly more. He'll never be super flashy or deliver a ton of crushing hits, but he's already an A+ defender with good size, great skating, and what seem to be fast approaching top of the charts defensive instincts. The future is incredibly bright for MacTruck and seeing that play I just got too excited not to share with you guys.

I HATE it when people compare kids to some of the greatest players in the history of the game, but I gotta say, Ryan McDonagh is a special defenseman. He's really friggin good.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
I'd say McDonagh is more comparable to Ryan Suter. I don't see why he couldn't put up 50 points with a very good offensive team. If we start finishing more chances, it'll likely become a reality.

He's really his own player, though. He's McDonagh. And he's incredible.

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano
McD had an awesome game, but there were a couple of interesting things on that goal.
- McD was wide open in the slot, Nashville is one of the best defensive teams in the league, that's the beauty of involving the D in the offense.
- Does McD take the risk if he did not trust Girardi? I doubt it. They are a pretty good pair who has chemistry and trust.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I'd say McDonagh is more comparable to Ryan Suter. I don't see why he couldn't put up 50 points with a very good offensive team. If we start finishing more chances, it'll likely become a reality.

He's on pace for ~40 points on a below-average offensive team. :)

His 11-12 season reminded me of Lidstrom, in that McDonagh seemed to never make a mistake. (Not comparing the two, but seriously I could count on one hand the amount of mistakes he made through 82 games).

Right now he's an elite defensive-defenseman, world class skater, doesn't shy away from physicality at all, very intelligent; Offensively he's good...I thought he would be great on a #1 PP unit, and also he should improve a small bit offensively. I think his peak will be something similar to Suter now. A top two-way defender, who really shines on the defensive side of the puck, with moments of offensive IQ and skill.

There literally would be no better future partner for P.K. Subban on the planet. LIRL. Realistically, McDonagh will probably never put up enough points for a Norris, but he's the kind of player I think it should go to.

Honestly, I thought Staal and Del Zotto would be the ones to shine offensively this year. Staal is on pace for like 12 points which is incredibly disappointing, offensively speaking.

gomoz, pls.

Last edited:

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
You are wrong. MDZ had a very solid game. Give credit when credit is due.

Agreed. Some folks on here seem to blindly hate some players. People complaining about DZ after tonight are wrong, people who want Boyle off the team are wrong. Especially Boyle, that dude came to play this season, he looks faster and very effective in his role on the 4th line. He's the type of player (when in the proper spot in the lineup) who is very important on teams looking to go deep into the playoffs.

ponzu4u

Feb 27, 2013
For whatever reasons, I've never really seen much of Suter. Though I think this is looking like a preeeettty good season to catch up.

Zucc36

Jan 8, 2011
Damn you Zucc, why did you pass that puck to Stepan and not go for the shot? :)

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

I'd imagine if that pass didn't work people would be *****ing about him passing. The guy's shot isn't all that great. A pass is money in the bank. I think the question is does he have a better chance of scoring himself or making the pass. Considering that he is a much better passer it makes sense that he passes so often. Of course sometimes it's REALLY hard to make the pass.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
BTW, I HATE how people are discounting Stepan's goal, even if you forget the takeaway. How many players would shoot it along the ice and have the goalie slide over and make the save? Great finish.

Dagh

Dec 10, 2007
That goal is as much created by Stepan as it is by Zucc. Very nice takeaway to get the play started.

I have no idea how he played the rest of the game, but regardless of how he did, it makes no sense to try to lessen the credit he gets on that goal. Nice setup by Zuccarello, but Stepan has both the takeaway and a solid finish on it. Give the guy the credit he deserves on the play.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

Agreed. He has been fantastic lately and really seems to flourish away from Torts when he aren't handcuffed anymore. Hopefully Staal can take another step too. I think he is starting to show signs too.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Besides the couple of early disaster shifts, I think MDZ made some really strong plays too. Some plays were just fantastic.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

Yeah, I didn't plan on saying anything but I thought the same thing lol.

First he destroyed a 2 on 1 by taking the shot in the 1st, or possible early 2nd, and then he destroys Nashville by making the right decision and passes the puck twice.

Play the right way. Bury the shot or deliver the pass. No BS.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
BTW, I HATE how people are discounting Stepan's goal, even if you forget the takeaway. How many players would shoot it along the ice and have the goalie slide over and make the save? Great finish.

Great point Snowblind, Stepan makes all the right things there. The take away. He especially gets open. And then, that is a tough shot for sure. The only easy goals you score now are on rebounds or scambles in the crease.

He did it when the right people were watching too. He might as well apply for the visum...

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
He's on pace for ~40 points on a below-average offensive team. :)

His 11-12 season reminded me of Lidstrom, in that McDonagh seemed to never make a mistake. (Not comparing the two, but seriously I could count on one hand the amount of mistakes he made through 82 games).

Right now he's an elite defensive-defenseman, world class skater, doesn't shy away from physicality at all, very intelligent; Offensively he's good...I thought he would be great on a #1 PP unit, and also he should improve a small bit offensively. I think his peak will be something similar to Suter now. A top two-way defender, who really shines on the defensive side of the puck, with moments of offensive IQ and skill.

There literally would be no better future partner for P.K. Subban on the planet. LIRL. Realistically, McDonagh will probably never put up enough points for a Norris, but he's the kind of player I think it should go to.

Honestly, I thought Staal and Del Zotto would be the ones to shine offensively this year. Staal is on pace for like 12 points which is incredibly disappointing, offensively speaking.

gomoz, pls.

I couldn't agree more and great points all over.

Its definitely extremely easy to overlook the process of what it takes to become an elite NHL D. A few examples:

-Duncan Keith. I remember his early years. When I hear others describe him, I think of the old movie total recal.

When Duncan Keith was 25 y/o, he was not better than Ryan McD when McD was 23 y/o. Not even close. Keith was a solid top 4 D. But most, and often the best, great NHL Ds are not developed when they are 18-22 y/o. Its a process over a long long time when these guys gotta be able to play on a good team in the NHL where they can practise at making high caliber plays year in and year out. Chicago had a run there for a while in the wrong direction, but their management really wanted them to play a puck possesion game to the extreme under Dennis Savard and co.

That built Duncan Keith. Those years when he was 24-27 y/o.

-Niklas Lidström. Around 96-97 the general concenssus was that Lidström was a good no 2-3 for a team in the NHL, but not no 1 D materia. Lidstörm is born in 1970. He won what, 7 Norris? He broke out in the 98' PO's.

-Scott Neidermayer. At the same age as McD is now, Neidermayer had 35 pts in 82 games. He was seen as a bit of a dissapointment as a no 3 pick, but still a really solid D that especially lived on his great skating. He was seen as a great top 4 D. He was extremely far away from any Norris discussion when he was 18-29. It started to happen for him in the 03' PO's. He is born in 1973. He had become more of the de facto no 1 D when he was 28-29.

And the more you look at top D's, the list gets longer and longer and longer. Oh, this guy was 26-27 when he broke into the league. That guy scored more than 13 pts hte first time when he was 28. The Streits. The Rafalskis. The Vishnovskys. The McCAbes. The Sourays.

Kris Letang, is definitely a product of Crosby and Malkin. He got to play a dominating game in the NHL, and learned the trade. Its no coincidence that the best Ds -- always -- seem to be developed by the best team.

McD won't per automatic become a great D just because he is good at the age of 25. But its the process that will determine the outcome, not if he was dominant when he was 22-23 y/o.

Dorado*

nice systematic dismantling . lack of finish still concerning . MDZ settled down after the double hand grenade gaff and had a very responsible game .I know hes expected to provide offense bur he has to just settle down and let the game come to him more .
Seth jones is legit .Big body smooth skater , great postioning .CK turned on the jets and he paced him and rode him out of the play . He reminds me of a Pronger /Lidstrom Hybrid

Dorado*

This. Stepan is not skating like a star. 1st line center (like he was last year)

Step is staying as third man high often perhaps making him look less engaged. CK and MZA are very effective at retrieving pucks . I think he is a step slow perhaps at times but overall his game is fine .Guys are being pretty hard on the guy who is putting up points quietly and still has yet to miss a game in his young career

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Derek Stepan had 10 points(4-6)in the first 19 games last season. Then he had 34 points in the remaining 29 games.

He needs to pick up the pace. His goal last night was his first since November 6. He had 14 points in in the first 19 this season so he is ahead of the lockout year pace. Stepan is on pace for a 57 point season. The Rangers need him to be the 34 points in 29 game player. 75 point center.

RangersHank*

Regarding the Dorsett fight, did he lose his balance or get clocked with a punch? He got up really quick so it was hard to tell

Graves94

Nov 26, 2010
Montreal
I couldn't agree more and great points all over.

Its definitely extremely easy to overlook the process of what it takes to become an elite NHL D. A few examples:

-Duncan Keith. I remember his early years. When I hear others describe him, I think of the old movie total recal.

When Duncan Keith was 25 y/o, he was not better than Ryan McD when McD was 23 y/o. Not even close. Keith was a solid top 4 D. But most, and often the best, great NHL Ds are not developed when they are 18-22 y/o. Its a process over a long long time when these guys gotta be able to play on a good team in the NHL where they can practise at making high caliber plays year in and year out. Chicago had a run there for a while in the wrong direction, but their management really wanted them to play a puck possesion game to the extreme under Dennis Savard and co.

That built Duncan Keith. Those years when he was 24-27 y/o.

-Niklas Lidström. Around 96-97 the general concenssus was that Lidström was a good no 2-3 for a team in the NHL, but not no 1 D materia. Lidstörm is born in 1970. He won what, 7 Norris? He broke out in the 98' PO's.

-Scott Neidermayer. At the same age as McD is now, Neidermayer had 35 pts in 82 games. He was seen as a bit of a dissapointment as a no 3 pick, but still a really solid D that especially lived on his great skating. He was seen as a great top 4 D. He was extremely far away from any Norris discussion when he was 18-29. It started to happen for him in the 03' PO's. He is born in 1973. He had become more of the de facto no 1 D when he was 28-29.

And the more you look at top D's, the list gets longer and longer and longer. Oh, this guy was 26-27 when he broke into the league. That guy scored more than 13 pts hte first time when he was 28. The Streits. The Rafalskis. The Vishnovskys. The McCAbes. The Sourays.

Kris Letang, is definitely a product of Crosby and Malkin. He got to play a dominating game in the NHL, and learned the trade. Its no coincidence that the best Ds -- always -- seem to be developed by the best team.

McD won't per automatic become a great D just because he is good at the age of 25. But its the process that will determine the outcome, not if he was dominant when he was 22-23 y/o.

Yeah, can't believe this player is signed for under $5Mn a year for a long time! Seriously underpaid by today's crazy NHL standards.

Pastafazul*

here we go again, mcdonagh has 1 game where he plays very well and he's lidstrom :shakehead

how bout putin a string of very good games together, consistency!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad