Khudobin/Moog

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
while Khudobin has looked good, he is far from a proven reliable backup in postseason as well.

I wouldn't trade Khudobin at the deadline, largely because I think he has very little value, probably worth no more if not less than a 3rd round pick

If you told me Calgary would take Khudobin, instead of Subban as the major piece in a deal for Iginla, I would make that trade and worry about the backup later. But he doesn't have that value

True, but still better than Svedberg, right? We would have to get a reliable backup in any deal for Khudobin. If Khudobin was signed past next year, he'd be worth much more than a third. I imagine other teams scouts have taken notice of him by now.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I very much like Khudobin. Not only is he a damn good goalie, but he's a lot of fun to watch due to his style. It would be cool if he stayed with the Bs. Obviously things can change by the end of the year, but if both Dobby and Rask remain healthy and continue to play well then I do not see the Bs wanting to pay him a lot to stay as the backup goalie. If we did not have Svedberg waiting in the wings and Subban looking like he will be the real deal then I could see us paying good money to keep Dobby at backup. Fact is we are stocked up well with good young goalies, so overpayment at that position is not something we have to do. There have to be at least several teams in the NHL that will be willing to pay Dobby more than we will be wanting to pay after the season is over.
You could be right but it does seem like the last few years B's management does want to have two potential no.1 goalies in the fold. Rask has surprised me this year and has been better than I expected .The B's will certainly want to keep him but will look at the overall picture[how he performs in the playoffs] in regards to whether or not they are going to want to pay him big money.I would hope that the B's have learned their lesson in regards to taking chances with their goalies.For far too long they went with so-so goalies[John Grahame]and ultimately payed the price when there play went south in the post season.I hope we have both Rask/Khudobin for the next while.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
True, but still better than Svedberg, right? We would have to get a reliable backup in any deal for Khudobin. If Khudobin was signed past next year, he'd be worth much more than a third. I imagine other teams scouts have taken notice of him by now.

Svedberg is having a better season in the AHL than Khudobin ever had

Goalies are undervalued in the NHL. Maybe his value is more like a second if he were signed, but he is still very far from a proven commodity. Ben Bishop was in a somewhat similar position last year and was traded for a second. Bishop hadn't had the flashes in the NHL, but had a better track record in the AHL, and I believe was under contractual control for one or two more years (could have been an RFA if Ottawa didn't sign him immediately)

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Svedberg is having a better season in the AHL than Khudobin ever had

Goalies are undervalued in the NHL. Maybe his value is more like a second if he were signed, but he is still very far from a proven commodity. Ben Bishop was in a somewhat similar position last year and was traded for a second. Bishop hadn't had the flashes in the NHL, but had a better track record in the AHL, and I believe was under contractual control for one or two more years (could have been an RFA if Ottawa didn't sign him immediately)

Svedberg also has a better team behind him. Khudobin was left out to dry last year and while he had good stats, the team barely made into the playoffs.

I like Svedberg and he has really been turning it on lately. But he is closer to the way rask plays than what extra Khudobin brings with his quickness/athleticsm.

I'm actually ok that Rask is only signed for this year. Luxury to weigh your options after this year as to who you want to keep as your #1

Justin St Pierre

Dec 16, 2011
The interesting thing about Anton Khudobin is that he lets in some shots, but he stops all the other ones. There's no middle ground with him. It's either in or it's out. Certainly, it's curious that he can't stop the ones he doesn't stop, since he can stop the others, and it's odd that he can stop the ones he does, since he can't stop the ones he doesn't. However, it's a big advantage to have a goaltender who either lets them in or keeps them out, because that gray area is just unpredictable. You know what you're getting: either a goal or a save. You don't have to worry about any other situation because those just won't happen with Anton Khudobin in goal.

vjcsmoke

Jun 29, 2011
You make a good point but overall Khudobin has looked good .Would he falter as a starter?Quite possibly but from what I have seen of him, he might play well.I don't know a thing about Svenberg but I am not sure how you can project that he will be able to replace Khudobin when he has yet to play a single game for the B's.The Bruins need two quality netminders to remain competitive,I don't see B's management rolling the dice and letting Khudobin walk away given he has played well in the limited number of games he has played.

Agreed. It is hard to project how well Svedberg would do if called up to the pros. Khudobin looks like a solid reliable backup goaltender. If they can sign him for reasonable money on say a 2 year deal, with say the agreement, that they will re-evaluate him to be 'the guy' at the end of that deal, maybe we can get something done. Depth is so important to have at the GK position.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad