Khudobin/Moog

BergyWho37

Only The Strong Will Survive (Never Give Up)
Jun 18, 2012
True North
Huh ... he has Thomas written all over him ;)

Sure might not ever be as good but all I see is TT right now

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
What do posters think happens with Khudobin after this season? Can we afford to re-sign him? Or does he walk and get paid like a #1 on some goalie starved team like Philly?
I'd hate to lose him for nothing, especially since he hasn't looked worse than Rask this season. Is Svedberg capable of replacing him next year? Chia has some tough decisions ahead.

jrross4

Jul 26, 2011
try and sign him

As far as we have seen this year we should try and sign him.... I think 1.5 x two years and go from there....

Chris7

Feb 21, 2012
As far as we have seen this year we should try and sign him.... I think 1.5 x two years and go from there....

That would be ideal. Anyone think he is or could be better than Rask?
Just curious.

NastyNate17

Jan 3, 2011
Fort Sam Houston
What do posters think happens with Khudobin after this season? Can we afford to re-sign him? Or does he walk and get paid like a #1 on some goalie starved team like Philly?
I'd hate to lose him for nothing, especially since he hasn't looked worse than Rask this season. Is Svedberg capable of replacing him next year? Chia has some tough decisions ahead.

While we have so much organizational depth at goalie the difficult part is keeping everybody satisfied with their role.. As of right now I like the Rask/ Khudobin tandem but I also think Svedberg has the potential to be a good nhl starter somewhere down the line then of course comes Subban. My concern is that we could let Svedberg slip away and catch fire with another organization if we do keep Khudobin in Boston. Of course Svedberg has a lot yet to prove but it's hard to ignore the success he is having in providence..I think at the very least we can manage to keep Khudobin as a 20-30 game starter for a few more seasons and then if Svedberg continues to develop according to plan evaluate which is the better option going forward. Luckily Subban is a ways away from being nhl ready so he has plenty of time to work his way up the pipeline or could be a valuable trade chip

NastyNate17

Jan 3, 2011
Fort Sam Houston
Just curious.

I think he can be extremely successful in the bruins organization as a platoon guy which in turn will also help preserve Rasks longevity and keep him from being overworked.. I don't see Rask being a 70 start work horse I think he's better off at 50 games which means we need a capable goalie to supplement him which I think Khudobin fits perfectly in that role. I don't see Khudobin being a full fledged starter of course I could be wrong but I think he's better suited in the 25-30 game a year role

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I think they should look at locking him up sooner than later because he's a risk to leave either to another team or the KHL. He's proven he can play in the NHL and if he wants to stay I hope Chia can get it done.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I'd be surprised if they resigned him. Svedberg will back up Rask next year is my guess.

Last edited:

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
He reminds me of Thomas.

I'd love to see Moog play today with bigger pads/equipment.

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
I think they should look at locking him up sooner than later because he's a risk to leave either to another team or the KHL. He's proven he can play in the NHL and if he wants to stay I hope Chia can get it done.

I wish Chia could, but more money and a starter job offered soemwhere else would be too much to pass on. Chia wont be able to fit him under the cap unless he gets rid of Rask, and to do that Khudobin would need to turn into TT lol.

NastyNate17

Jan 3, 2011
Fort Sam Houston

The only problem is I could see him holding out for absolute top dollar, given the fact it appears he wants to be a starter.. Unless he absolutely loves playing in Boston and can accommodate the bs by taking a slightly lower offer than he might get in the Khl or another nhl team.. I'm worried we might not have the cap space to give him what he wants.. It's tough to gauge where's he's at too because he seems pretty reserved and not very outspoken in the media so who really knows where his mind is at to this point

BruinsFan64

Sep 17, 2009

We trade Rask and sign Kudo long term?

I have to say, he looks good.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
A back up goalie who makes more than $1M is a luxury they can no longer afford after this season. If he wants to stay for a million bucks, then lock him up. Otherwise, it's the next man up.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Just curious.

I don't know if he's better than Rask or not, but I have noticed that the Bruins seem to play better in front of him than they do in front of Rask (at least over the last month or so). I also hate to admit it, but I feel more comfortable with him than Rask lately.

As for his style....he reminds me so much of Thomas it's kind of uncanny. Obviously not at that level, but the way he moves, the way he battles, etc. is very Thomas-like.

HHHH

Feb 15, 2010
I love the comparisons with Moog...

I agree that he has probably done enough thus far for some team to give him a higher salary than the B's have room for a backup goalie, especially if he has the chance to start somewhere else.

Here's the question; if the B's don't see him signing on for a discount next season would they trade him at the deadline this year? I'm not sure if they have had conversations with him about next year, but if he is going to walk at the end of the year, would it be worth it to move him this year and have Svedberg step in as the backup? But how many teams would trade for him with the specter of the KHL looming as well...

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Wish I'd seen more of Moog. I thought his masks were the coolest as a kid. Thought it was pretty neat that he was on the cover of NHLPA 93 and NHL 94. By the time I remember specific games, he was gone, Casey had come and gone, and Lacher was the guy.

SerenityRick

Jan 23, 2008
Moultonborough, NH
He's the Russian Tim Thomas. The similarities in style is uncanny.

Considering not many high level goalies play that style, it's kind of funny the Bruins snagged him up.

At this point I feel more comfortable with him in net over Rask. It feels weird to say but it's true. Ideally, Chia would re-sign him and he and Rask would play a tandem next season rather than have a set back up.

However, I get the feeling that neither one wants to be the back up and certainly one of them won't take "back up" type money. I also don't see Chia/Julien anointing Khudobin the starter over Rask next season so... I'm pretty sure Dobby will be gone.

That's not to say I'm giving up on Rask or would rather Khudobin be the starter over him. I'm sure Rask will bounce back. (not that he necessarily has to.. he's still playing pretty damn good).

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Just curious.

He's certainly been as good this year. Going forward it will be interesting to see if there is a discussion about how much to invest in Rask. How much more is Rask/Svedberg worth than Khudobin/Svedberg?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->