Confirmed with Link: Khudobin for Wisniewski

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
How could it not be about Khudobin? Then why not trade wiz for a worse but adequate backup and also get a pick or two back for Wiz. Why use Wiz in a deal for a goalie at all? It's hard for me to take BM at his word in this scenario, or actually on any of his post-trade explanations so far this offseason. He's gaining leverage in trade talks and with his soon to be RFA's in negotiations (doing things that show he doesn't have much money to spend).

There are a lot of goalies set to be free agents, and most of them are backups. It's even highly debatable if Khudobin's better than a few of them, and considering how Andersen ended his season, this might be an attractive place for those types to go to.

Wiz just came off being healthy scratched for 16 playoff games, so his value was pretty low. If you rush a trade, and want minimal salary back, it obviously gets even lower. That's why the value's not very good.

It's just tough to imagine that he'd pursue a backup goalie via trade right now and then trade a guy of Wiz's calibre to get him. Who knows, maybe he truly thinks high of Khudobin and thought he was worth giving up Wiz, but I don't think so.

duxfan8

Sep 13, 2011
South Bay
I think Bob basically dumped Wiz like a cap dump to free up space for something and replaced Lababs with an upgrade. All in the same deal. Nothing more. Although one would think Wiz would be worth more than a backup.

I think BM was handcuffed with how Wiz was used, or rather benched, in the playoffs. I know there were questions about health and chemistry, but he is still a top 4 dman on almost every team. Qdobs is a good goalie and probably will either get traded or become a long term backup if one of our youngsters is traded. I have no problem with Gibby getting more games in the AHL while we don't have to expose him to waivers. Hopefully if/when we call him up, he's not on a road trip and will just have an hour or so to drive north. Qdobs should be able to give Andersen more days off and keep him fresh. With Wiz's cap hit essentially being split in half, I'm waiting to see what happens with Hagelin, Silf, Kes and any other bigger FAs in the next few days to get a better read on the trade, but maybe there just wasn't much interest in Wiz. Bottom line though, Qdobs is a huge upgrade over Labarbs and our goaltending depth is once again stacked.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
GM's aren't fans. They understand why Wiz didn't play in the playoffs, and they understand what type of player he is. His trade value wasn't affected by anything that occurred here other than perhaps a concern that he isn't actually healthy on that foot.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
GM's aren't fans. They understand why Wiz didn't play in the playoffs, and they understand what type of player he is. His trade value wasn't affected by anything that occurred here other than perhaps a concern that he isn't actually healthy on that foot.

They're always looking for an edge, though, and while they might understand, as some fans should, they'd still try and use it to their advantage. Coupled with his cap number, and the very real possibility that he still wouldn't be in their preferred six, I don't think his value was high at all.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
They're always looking for an edge, though, and while they might understand, as some fans should, they'd still try and use it to their advantage. Coupled with his cap number, and the very real possibility that he still wouldn't be in their preferred six, I don't think his value was high at all.

That may well be the case, but he wasn't being valued as "a healthy scratch 7th defenseman" like so many people are saying.

paine

Jun 4, 2007
That may well be the case, but he wasn't being valued as "a healthy scratch 7th defenseman" like so many people are saying.

His value clearly changed since the trade deadline. Wisniewski went from a decent asset to a camp dump.

duxfan8

Sep 13, 2011
South Bay

His value clearly changed since the trade deadline. Wisniewski went from a decent asset to a camp dump.

^^ You mean this DVM? I can't agree with calling him a cap dump, but I do think his value could have been diminished slightly by not playing. I'm sure there were other coaches and GMs wondering why Wiz wasn't playing, and like mentioned above; they find reasons to value that player less. I'm really not that upset in the value we got back for him, also factoring in the tagging and overall cap space. We were able to swap an unnecessary, pricey piece for a cheaper piece we needed (even if he's a pending UFA next year). I just keep thinking BM has more moves he's trying or waiting to make.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
This trade wasn't a cap-dump at all. Sure the main objective was to remove Wisniewski's contract but we got a really good player in return. It might not equate the kind of value he spent to get him but the player we acquired and the player we ended up with had completely different value by this point. This should absolutely be viewed as a hockey trade. You can argue that we didn't improve our backup goalie position (those that's definitely debatable in the minds of a lot of people around here I'm sure) but we definitely improved our depth. I might even go so far as to say we have the best goaltending depth right now in the entire league.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
^^ You mean this DVM? I can't agree with calling him a cap dump, but I do think his value could have been diminished slightly by not playing. I'm sure there were other coaches and GMs wondering why Wiz wasn't playing, and like mentioned above; they find reasons to value that player less. I'm really not that upset in the value we got back for him, also factoring in the tagging and overall cap space. We were able to swap an unnecessary, pricey piece for a cheaper piece we needed (even if he's a pending UFA next year). I just keep thinking BM has more moves he's trying or waiting to make.

There's a huge distance between top pairing in Columbus to legitimate top 4 D to 7th D/healthy scratch. I think he's in the middle of that, and I suspect most GM's would as well. This wasn't a cap dump trade. It had a benefit of reducing cap, but it may have returned the best current goalie in our system.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
We now have 3 quality goalies on our payroll and all 3 of them combined still make less than Niemi will make as a backup in Dallas

Getzholm

Jan 21, 2015
This trade wasn't a cap-dump at all. Sure the main objective was to remove Wisniewski's contract but we got a really good player in return. It might not equate the kind of value he spent to get him but the player we acquired and the player we ended up with had completely different value by this point. This should absolutely be viewed as a hockey trade. You can argue that we didn't improve our backup goalie position (those that's definitely debatable in the minds of a lot of people around here I'm sure) but we definitely improved our depth. I might even go so far as to say we have the best goaltending depth right now in the entire league.

We for sure have this at the moment. No one has a 3rd string Goalie close to as good as ours.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
We now have 3 quality goalies on our payroll and all 3 of them combined still make less than Niemi will make as a backup in Dallas

That is a great great thing for the Ducks but it won't last.

Agreed our goalies are like our defense, we have good ones but no elite ones.........yet.......we'll see if they all step their games up.

Yep

We only elite potential

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad