KHL scandal: $$ for roster spot

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/pu...-money-for-a-roster-spot-scand?urn=nhl-wp7519

(Summary quoted below is just the tip of the iceberg; you really should read the entire article to get the complete picture.)

A 19-year-old player [Gromov] who was drafted by Severstal in the KHL Entry Draft two years ago claimed that he had to give up 50 percent of his monthly salary to secure a roster spot. The accused manager [Popov] has maintained all along that the money was paid voluntarily and it went to other "less advantaged" players — those who made a lot less.
Just as absurd as Popov's statements that he "knew he was violating KHL's regulations" by paying some players under the table by taking money from other players in exchange for a roster spot. He added: "Of course there were tensions. Guys from Moscow, who are two years younger, come over and make 100 thousand rubles per month… And our guys make 10 times less."

Popov has been fined 30,000 rubles and ordered to repay Gromov 470,000 rubles.

Thought is this is an isolated incident.

obsenssive*

this is how things get done in russia. it is one of the most corrupt countries in the world. it has permeated pretty much all aspects of life. literally all aspects of life.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
this is how things get done in russia. it is one of the most corrupt countries in the world. it has permeated pretty much all aspects of life. literally all aspects of life.

Russia is corrupt, this isn't really surprising.

The hotel I work for does business in Moscow a lot and it is maddening how they do business there--I go there about once a month for auditory reasons and this type of activity is ingrained in their culture

this news does not shock me

Fugu

There's no corruption in the US. :sarcasm:

We just keep it at such a high level with massive quantities of money, that the government ends up bailing the white collar criminals out. It's just more sophisticated corruption because of the scrutiny, but corruption it is, nevertheless.

Of course, corruption has never touched an NHL team or owner.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I wonder how they're getting on with Sochi?. During the Winter Olympics here in Vancouver last year the Russian Organizing Committee was spending money like water on everything from high-end furniture to banks upon banks of LCD TV's & McIntosh sound systems for their "Sochi Pavillion", which was in the best (and priciest) location in Vancouver at the Plaza of Nations around False Creek; gifts of extremely pricey watches & baubles for dignitaries & sponsors to leasing fleets of luxury cars, routinely dropping 1000's in restaurants & bars etc. They do know how to spend.

Just how the KHL manages I do not know, when arena capacities are small, TV rev's not exactly humongous. Somethings going on, and Im thinking laundromats, however, we North Americans shouldnt be hypocritical, look at the NHL?. Hell, the AHL and most of the minor leagues from about 1910 onward.....

"Just sign here Gordie".
Jack Adams

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad