KHL scandal: $$ for roster spot

Discussion in 'Fugu's Business of Hockey Forum' started by LadyStanley, Jun 18, 2011.

View Users: View Users
  1. LadyStanley

LadyStanley RIP Fugu

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/pu...-money-for-a-roster-spot-scand?urn=nhl-wp7519

(Summary quoted below is just the tip of the iceberg; you really should read the entire article to get the complete picture.)

Popov has been fined 30,000 rubles and ordered to repay Gromov 470,000 rubles.

Thought is this is an isolated incident.

2. King Woodballs

King Woodballs Captain Awesome

jeez
    what a bunch of crooks

3. obsenssive*

obsenssive* Guest

this is how things get done in russia. it is one of the most corrupt countries in the world. it has permeated pretty much all aspects of life. literally all aspects of life.

4. Backlund

Backlund Registered User

Russia is corrupt, this isn't really surprising.

5. jumptheshark

jumptheshark Rebooting myself Sponsor

currently creating a new identity

The hotel I work for does business in Moscow a lot and it is maddening how they do business there--I go there about once a month for auditory reasons and this type of activity is ingrained in their culture

this news does not shock me

6. Fugu

Fugu Guest

There's no corruption in the US. :sarcasm:

We just keep it at such a high level with massive quantities of money, that the government ends up bailing the white collar criminals out. It's just more sophisticated corruption because of the scrutiny, but corruption it is, nevertheless.

Of course, corruption has never touched an NHL team or owner.

7. Killion

Killion Registered User

I wonder how they're getting on with Sochi?. During the Winter Olympics here in Vancouver last year the Russian Organizing Committee was spending money like water on everything from high-end furniture to banks upon banks of LCD TV's & McIntosh sound systems for their "Sochi Pavillion", which was in the best (and priciest) location in Vancouver at the Plaza of Nations around False Creek; gifts of extremely pricey watches & baubles for dignitaries & sponsors to leasing fleets of luxury cars, routinely dropping 1000's in restaurants & bars etc. They do know how to spend.

Just how the KHL manages I do not know, when arena capacities are small, TV rev's not exactly humongous. Somethings going on, and Im thinking laundromats, however, we North Americans shouldnt be hypocritical, look at the NHL?. Hell, the AHL and most of the minor leagues from about 1910 onward.....

"Just sign here Gordie".
    Jack Adams

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011