KHL pick 'em tournament

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
Seems like every year someone starts this and it never really gets off the ground. So I'm gonna step up and offer my services. If there's enough interest, say 10-15 people that wanna play, I'll keep it going all year. What I'm thinking is each Saturday I'll create a list of a dozen or so games, I'll try to use good competitive match ups, and post them in this thread. I'll try and have this done on Saturday evening (I live in the far west of Canada), so it gives all of you in Europe all day Sunday to get your picks in. Just make sure your picks are in by say 10:00 PM Pacific Standard Time. At the end of the week I'll tally up everyone's scores and keep a running total in an Excel spreadsheet. I'll post the standings after each week. Just make sure you are also checking your results to make sure I haven't missed anything. To determine who's playing, I'll just take the first people to respond to this thread, and cut it off at 15 if there's that much interest. Please only respond if you intend on playing each week.

Alright, it's up to you now. Just write a quick "I'm in" if you wanna play. I'll skip the opening week and have a schedule set up for Saturday the 27th.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
I'm definitely in! We need something like that. There is a similar competition for Russian Premier League (football) run by Russian Football News, which is a fantastic organization. KHL deserves one as well.

However, I'm not sure how and for what we will get points. You guys in North America have sometimes different games & styles compared to Europe. Do we have to predict the scoreline or only who wins? What about games ending in OT? As long as we have clear & fair rules, I'm totally in. We have a relatively active community here so I hope we can see at least 5 or 6 people.

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
I'm definitely in! We need something like that. There is a similar competition for Russian Premier League (football) run by Russian Football News, which is a fantastic organization. KHL deserves one as well.

However, I'm not sure how and for what we will get points. You guys in North America have sometimes different games & styles compared to Europe. Do we have to predict the scoreline or only who wins? What about games ending in OT? As long as we have clear & fair rules, I'm totally in. We have a relatively active community here so I hope we can see at least 5 or 6 people.

Just a straight pick the winner of each game, OT and SO's will count as a win. You get a point for each correct pick and of course a big zip for each incorrect pick. I'll even throw in the odd bonus game now and then, where I'll ask maybe to pick the correct score or total goals or PIM's for that game and the player that's closest will get a bonus 5 points or something. I just wanna keep this as simple as possible.

Milos Krasic

Best Serbian Footballer (2009) / Serie A Winner
Jul 1, 2008

Yes, totally agree. RFN is great for English based Russian footy info.

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
Hey guys, if you want to have a conversation about KHL fantasy hockey or any other subject, can you start a new thread. I'm only interested in hearing from people who are interested in participating in this tournament.

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
Just giving this a bump to see if there's any more people interested. We have 4 people that said they will play, and I'll run it with that many people, but obviously a few more would make things more interesting. I'll wait till Friday night (PST in Canada), and whoever's in at that point I'll go with. I'll post the first week's games late Friday night or early Saturday morning. Hope you'll join us, should be fun.

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
Week 2 results and overall scores:

Go Donbass 16 points for the week and 19 points overall
Hansome 12 points for the week and 17 overall
Acallabeth 7 points for the week and 11 overall
Jaco 13 points for the week and 22 overall
Tommy Salo 7 points for the week and 10 overall

My 19 points were enhanced by getting 3 of the bonus points. Hansome and Jaco also picked up bonus points.

Just for the record, I've decided that if the bonus is to correctly pick the number of shots or PIM's or whatever, and you pick it correctly, you will get the full bonus points, regardless if there is a tie. The same will apply to closest to. If two or more people make the same guess, and no-one makes the correct guess, and those guesses are closest to, all those that made that guess will get the 3 points. Splitting points made sense in my head, but now I don't like it.

The lowest score in terms of picking games this week was 5, by myself and Jaco. Everyone else picked at least 7 right.

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
Week 3 results and standings.

Go Donbass 11 points for the week and 30 overall
Hansome with 8 points and 25 overall
Acallabeth with 9 points and 20 overall
Jaco with 14 points and 36 overall
Tommy Salo with 15 points and 25 overall

I've decided to make one more tweak the scoring for bonus games. On the games where you have to pick the correct score, I've decided if you pick the right team to win, and the score differential is the same as the actual game score, you'll get 3 points (example, you pick the score to be 4-2 and it finishes 5-3, you would get 3 points). I'll award 5 points to a correct guess. However, the consolation points only get awarded if no-one correctly picks the actual score. If someone picks the correct score they get the full five points and no-one else receives points for the consolation.

I figured this would be a good way to at least get some points for those bonus games, as it's pretty hard to pick a correct score.

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
Game over?

Hey guys, sorry I didn't get any games up for this week. I was out of town most of last week, and didn't get in until late Sunday night. I was going to make a partial sked, but with the huge time differential between all of us, I want to make sure everyone can get their picks in on time. So I'm going to leave it for this week and have a new sked available for next Saturday/Sunday. Again, my apologies. I'll calculate last weeks results tonight, and post them later.

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
Hey guys, sorry again for last week. I've finally done the tally for the week for results:

I picked up 11 points (8 + 3 bonus) for a season total of 41
Hansome got 18 (10 + 8 bonus) for a season total of 43
Acallabeth didn't get his picks in and has 20 points on the season
Tommy Salo had 17 points (12 + 5 bonus) for a season total of 42
Jaco had 10 points (7 + 3 bonus) for a season and leading total of 46

So things are still pretty tightly grouped. Good season so far.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
I made a very simple page on Google Drive to keep data for different stuff and I think it's best to post it here. Please remember that I just made this by myself and everything in it, including ranking rules, has nothing to do with the version Go Donbass runs, which is the one that should be taken into consideration. I have a few proposals regarding ranking in the long run but as I said, it's all up to Go Donbass to decide or consult. My page is only to give you an idea about what's going on. Simply put, my stuff is not "official".

Here is the basic ranking,

SvF5GI0.png

All is clear, I think, except for the LofW part. It means Leader of the Week and indicates for how many times the player was the one who collected the most points in a given week. I added it as a ranking criterium in case two people tie. Let's say, I and Go Donbass both finished with 150pts. How to determine who is first and second? The one with more LofW numbers go ahead. If we are still tied at there? Read on!

Here is the week by week table, where you can see your (and your opponents', of course) progress and who won which week,

7FFta1P.png

So here, it's pretty simple. Acallabeth got 4 points in first week, 7 in second, 9 in third and so on. This little thing is good to see progress and who won which week.

And here in this third thingy, we find the answer for "What happens if we tie both on points and LotW stuff?" by checking another ranking,

MlS86Xc.png

This shows who, for how many times and with how many points won the week. So 1 jaco (9) - 1 means jaco won first week with 9 points and this was his first LofW achievement. 2 Go Donbass (16) - 1 is the way of saying the second week was won by Go Donbass who accumulated 16 points and got his first time as well.

Yet again, I would like to say that the rules of the game are implemented by Go Donbass and it is, with other things, totally up to him to decide how to solve ties or other situations that may arise and my rankings are only meant to add a little bit more spice and fun if possible. Please, first refer to the rankings released by Go Donbass all the time. I'm by no means a tryhard who tries implementing new rules to come first. :laugh:

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
Thank you for all that extra work Hansome, it's much appreciated and adds something to the game for sure.

Also, please no-one think I'm trying to run this thing like a tin pot dictator. If you have any ideas for bonus games or any other ideas to make the game better, or if I've done something that irks you, let me know. I'll be happy to incorporate any and all ideas that will make the game better for all of us. Thanks for playing, it's been a lot of fun so far.

Dean :)

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
Hey guys. Guess it was my week to shine. I had the most correct picks with 13, and I cleaned up with 12 bonus points. I'm sure it's an aberration and will fall back to my usual horrible performance next week :). So after week five it looks like this:

Go Donbass with 25 points for a total of 66
Jaco with 12 points for a total of 58
Tommy Salo with 14 points for a total of 58
Hansome with 10 points for a total of 53
Acallabeth with 9 points for a total of 29

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Hey guys. Guess it was my week to shine. I had the most correct picks with 13, and I cleaned up with 12 bonus points. I'm sure it's an aberration and will fall back to my usual horrible performance next week :). So after week five it looks like this:

Go Donbass with 25 points for a total of 66
Jaco with 12 points for a total of 58
Tommy Salo with 14 points for a total of 58
Hansome with 10 points for a total of 53
Acallabeth with 9 points for a total of 29

A great week for you, indeed, congratulations! I also updated my tables based on your calculations and here we go again...

Well, obviously, Go Donbass rocked this week far beyond all of us. The rest was pretty much close (with each other though, not with Go Donbass!) as can be seen here for week five,

C5nHm9h.png

And of course, there were drastic changes for the overall ranking as well. Go Donbass jumped from 4th place right to the top. TommySalo and jaco are tied at 58pts but since they both have won a week once and TommySalo was the one with higher points (15 to 9), I put him before in this ranking. So according to this,

Go Donbass went from 4th to 1st,
TommySalo went from 3rd to 2nd,
jaco went from 1st to 3rd,
hansomreiste went from 2nd to 4th and there is no change for Acallabeth who is the fifth at the moment. Without further ado, here is what the current table looks like,

onwFcGr.png

As for the Leader of the Week section, Go Donbass now holds the record for having most points in a single week with this week's 25, which quite honestly looks pretty unbeatable! Here is the table for what I'm talking about,

gso9vFn.png

This time around, I also added another "Point Per Week" ranking. I think this can motivate new players to join in later on or deter the present ones from leaving it all after missing a week or two. For the time being it doesn't represent much but anyways,

FFMsYXV.png

Good luck everyone for this week, let's go! :handclap:

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
Results for week 6 are in, and we have a new overall leader:

Hansome had a new league record 26 points for a grand total of 79
I had 10 points for a season total of 76
Jaco had 11 points for a season total of 69
Tommy had 12 points for a season total of 68
Acallabeth had 13 points for a season total of 42

Hansom had an amazing week all round, picking 13 correct winners and getting the correct final score of the Torpedo-Avangarde game and the correct number of shots in the Vityaz-Slovan game. He also was the closest to the correct total of PIM's in the Lada-Admiral game for 13 bonus points. Acallabeth was the only other person to get bonus points, to help him get a little closer to the pack With some good picking he could get himself back in this thing in a hurry. Good stuff guys :handclap:

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
I am a little bit late for the party this time, had been busy celebrating.:laugh:

Here is the overall ranking,

BROH54x.png

I went from 4th place to the 1st one,
Go Donbass went from 1st place to the 2nd one,
TommySalo went from 2nd place to the 4th one,
jaco remains 3rd.
Acallabeth remains 5th. FOR NOW.

Here is the weekly ranking,

8qjM0bj.png

I kinda trolled Go Donbass by calling his week "impassable" and then going up by 1 point but bonus points yet again proved they can change everything, which is why I will keep my boasting rights for later weeks! This week, Acallabeth also broke his own record with 13pts which also gave him the second place in this week's ranking.

Here we have the leader of the week thing,

caEtUq3.png

And this is your PPW table where Acallabeth have been improving slowly but steadily,

uD4QFWx.png

With double points this week, I think we will have to make a lot of changes on those tables. Good luck everyone!

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
That's very nice of you, considering I missed one week and have been steadily awful all the other ones :laugh:

Actually, out of the five weeks you participated in, you were the worst of the week only once. That's not awful at all. The problem for you so far seems to be that you were unable to get these what I call lucky bumps. With double points introduced now and so many weeks to come, I'm sure things will get better - especially if there are more games of Kuznya, whom you know better than all of us, to predict, I guess.

By the way, sorry for not centering the results of 6th and 7th week in weekly ranking. I'll take care of it in the next edition.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad