KHL Contraction Part I (Mod Warning - Post #15)

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
Although, frankly speaking, there won't be a salary cap next season, they're putting a luxury tax threshold, which is similar to the one MLB has, instead.

I don't follow baseball. Do you know what the results have been?
I think that a hard salary cap is not a good idea for the KHL for the time being. Let's face the reality, money is mostly what made the KHL what it is now, and limiting how much teams can spend would mean lowering the league's quality. Maybe this can change in 5-10 years, but not right now. I think that now it should be better to focus on measures to help financial struggling sides.

maxim84

Oct 19, 2013
Zagreb
I think that a hard salary cap is not a good idea for the KHL for the time being. Let's face the reality, money is mostly what made the KHL what it is now, and limiting how much teams can spend would mean lowering the league's quality. Maybe this can change in 5-10 years, but not right now. I think that now it should be better to focus on measures to help financial struggling sides.

I think salary cap should be in place but with every team having opportunity to sign 3-4 (or wichever number khl board of directors decide) players that would be outside of the cap. That way you could attract Ovi,Kovy & co. and they would make a difference for certain team and the rest of the team would be....hopefully same strenght around the entire league...

loppa*

Well, you're right on the first part. Actually the "luxury tax" on the salary cap is a thing with whom they're trying to solve these problems. Whether it will work or not it's yet to be seen.
It's true that losing Lev sucks, but on the other hand the KHL just got Jokerit so probably it's a 1-1 thing, as we see поживем увидим ("Time will tell" for those who do not speak Russian)

Lev is not yet lost. We will know on Monday. So stop spreading that "rumor".

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Tell me one hockey project in Europe in the last 10 years that has done this:
-increased the amount of money circulating in the league by multiples of previous levels
-brought quality hockey to completely new locations
-offered an alternative to young players before leaving to North America at very young age
-placed such high amount of players on national teams
-didn't let the NHL take every player they wanted for low price
-created a competitive junior league that is an interesting option for clubs from all over Europe

I thought the KHL wasn't a "developmental league"?

MHL isn't an option for European clubs. E.g. Finnish junior teams could not play due to logistical and practical reasons. School and military would hinder such projects far too much. Junior leagues in Finland operate so that players can handle both of those.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I don't follow baseball. Do you know what the results have been?

Based on comments by the NA posters in BoH and other sections, it's essentially killed parity/interest from MLB. The number of teams that have a realistic chance to win the World Series can usually be counted by fingers in one hand almost every season.

Yankees can easily go over the tax limit and the smaller teams will get their share of the money but it won't help them keep their star players, mainly to keep them "alive". Since the money in KHL would be considerably less than in MLB, I have doubts luxury tax money will be enough to keep teams afloat or healthy.

I think salary cap should be in place but with every team having opportunity to sign 3-4 (or wichever number khl board of directors decide) players that would be outside of the cap. That way you could attract Ovi,Kovy & co. and they would make a difference for certain team and the rest of the team would be....hopefully same strenght around the entire league...

They just got rid of the special/NHL player exception, it's not likely to come back.

BlueBratislava

Nov 7, 2013
I thought the KHL wasn't a "developmental league"?

MHL isn't an option for European clubs. E.g. Finnish junior teams could not play due to logistical and practical reasons. School and military would hinder such projects far too much. Junior leagues in Finland operate so that players can handle both of those.

Well, maybe it is not an option for Finns...but it is 100% an option for other people. You have a Czech team, Polish-Slovak team, Austrian team, German team, there used to be a Hungarian team...plus you also have teams from former USSR Republics. You need around €800,000 to participate in the MHL. I am absolutely certain that the MHL has a larger expansion potential than the KHL.

maxim84

Oct 19, 2013
Zagreb
They just got rid of the special/NHL player exception, it's not likely to come back.

Really, are you kidding me?? Had no idea....wait....seriously??
I guess when you follow a small club you miss on....wow...much...
Woow...

robwangjing

Jul 10, 2013
Beijing
I haven't been so active here lately, been busy with my personal life.

I'm sorry to hear about the Lev Prague situation and I hope it will be sorted out in the end. I don't want this club to leave the KHL since it's good to have a Czech team in the league.

How does the reality look at the moment, is it really bad or just newspaper-click-bait headlines based on little information?

Either way, not good news.

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
I haven't been so active here lately, been busy with my personal life.

I'm sorry to hear about the Lev Prague situation and I hope it will be sorted out in the end. I don't want this club to leave the KHL since it's good to have a Czech team in the league.

How does the reality look at the moment, is it really bad or just newspaper-click-bait headlines based on little information?

Either way, not good news.

By the look of their website, I'd say it's just not newspaper click bait

http://levpraha.cz/

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
I think they will find some Rosneft or Gazprom to finance it, otherwise this would show the league as a joke.

All these attempt to set up artificial teams which colapse the moment Russian money runs out...

GX

Dec 28, 2011
All these attempt to set up artificial teams which colapse the moment Russian money runs out...
That would happen to every single foreign team, no matter how artificial they are. Well, maybe except for Minsk or Astana as they could possibly cover it by their own public money.

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
That would happen to every single foreign team, no matter how artificial they are. Well, maybe except for Minsk or Astana as they could possibly cover it by their own public money.

The diff is that if Sparta or Slavia exits the KHL - it keeps on playing in Extraliga. This one will disappear. Then they might reassemble it agaiin - but who would care about a phantom team, what kind of fan base?

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
And thus why banning teams who can't finance themselves is a bad thing?

It is not a bad thing, but the question is, why they still try to expand? It looks like they are just more focused to be big than anything else. Still seems to me like wild capitalism when you are able to adjust entire league plan month before it started when you finally decide to allow another team. KHL does not really have serious image... But it could barely be better when you can see Medvedev drinking from Gagarin cup..

loppa*

Quick question. Lev wants/needs 30-some million dollars for next season. And sure, the KHL has money to bail out teams to some extent. BUT... they do not need such a big salary to have a team. They have some of their own money sure, but when zagreb can have a team with about what, 10 million dollars or less, why does Lev have to have over 30 million or disappear? They can be around with less money, no?

It is not a bad thing, but the question is, why they still try to expand? It looks like they are just more focused to be big than anything else. Still seems to me like wild capitalism when you are able to adjust entire league plan month before it started when you finally decide to allow another team. KHL does not really have serious image... But it could barely be better when you can see Medvedev drinking from Gagarin cup..

Look at it this way, they want that market. And why on earth would they not take it if they can? The NHL would have done so a long time ago, but alas it is too far away so they can't.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
Quick question. Lev wants/needs 30-some million dollars for next season. And sure, the KHL has money to bail out teams to some extent. BUT... they do not need such a big salary to have a team. They have some of their own money sure, but when zagreb can have a team with about what, 10 million dollars or less, why does Lev have to have over 30 million or disappear? They can be around with less money, no?

Look at it this way, they want that market. And why on earth would they not take it if they can? The NHL would have done so a long time ago, but alas it is too far away so they can't.

I bet it is about competition with other teams. Zagreb would be top hockey entertainment in Croatia even with no chance to playoff. But Lev is in traditional hockey country and even in one town with Sparta and Slavia. Plus you add it is russian league... Looking at the average Lev attendance, they do not have any chance than to be the top contender to keep people interested...Also you need some czech players, who are quite expensive (for czech clubs)....

Because if you do not do it with real market scanning and with future prospect it can easily turns against you. Look at the KHL attitude to LEV Poprad debts. I do not have any concerns about hockey quality in KHL, but other things around this league seems to me so unprofessional that it really lacks credibility, at least in my point of view.

loppa*

I bet it is about competition with other teams. Zagreb would be top hockey entertainment in Croatia even with no chance to playoff. But Lev is in traditional hockey country and even in one town with Sparta and Slavia. Plus you add it is russian league... Looking at the average Lev attendance, they do not have any chance than to be the top contender to keep people interested...Also you need some czech players, who are quite expensive (for czech clubs)....

Because if you do not do it with real market scanning and with future prospect it can easily turns against you. Look at the KHL attitude to LEV Poprad debts. I do not have any concerns about hockey quality in KHL, but other things around this league seems to me so unprofessional that it really lacks credibility, at least in my point of view.

Then how do you explain that Bratislava with a not so great team sells out every game? That is proof that it is not necessary to have the best team to do well.

Lev is simply somewhat new there. That's it. People are sucking them up quickly though, I think. For attendance - their attendance could be better, but it is indeed okay attendance. Furthermore, as we saw in the playoffs, they broke the KHL records more than once. This next season should see continued fan presence based on that success, I think.

And that nobody cares about Lev there - well, check this out, http://www.levpraha.cz/clanek.asp?i...u-sesel-se-pred-prazskou-Tipsport-arenou-1684 , those are real people mhmm.

The poprad club was a temporary project, intended to be temporary. The prague team is more long term, or at least I hope it is. Having a team in such a city is a matter of prestige for the league.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Then how do you explain that Bratislava with a not so great team sells out every game? That is proof that it is not necessary to have the best team to do well.

Lev is simply somewhat new there. That's it. People are sucking them up quickly though, I think. For attendance - their attendance could be better, but it is indeed okay attendance. Furthermore, as we saw in the playoffs, they broke the KHL records more than once. This next season should see continued fan presence based on that success, I think.

Because they're the biggest and only ticket in town.

EbencoyE

Nov 26, 2006
Why? It would be great to have "some kind of super league". NA has many leagues too, what does it need some kind of super league like the NHL for?

It's just too bad that the Russian influence on the league is humongous beeeg at the moment, the idea itself is (was?) still great though.

NHL operates in only two countries... it didn't steal teams from other leagues (like Jokerit or Slovan) or buy itself into markets with new teams to compete with long storied traditional clubs in the local leagues (like Prague)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad