KHL Contraction Part I (Mod Warning - Post #15)

aemoreira1981

Jan 27, 2012
New York City
Following just the political situation, I find it hard to believe that Donbass will play next season, after their home arena was partially torched. The arena might be repairable, but the political instability in eastern Ukraine probably will preclude hockey being played there for at least part of if not the entire season. Donetsk already had to play home games in Slovakia.

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
The league isn’t immune to the crisis in Ukraine. Dinamo Riga may leave the KHL due to the conflict, former Latvian President and Dinamo Riga board member Guntis Ulmanis said on March 19.
Yeah, and was immediately bashed by the fans.
Ulmanos didn't seem to understand the idea of international league too well, nor did he think his words through I think.
That was a typical populist statement that had the opposite effect.

1. Spartak
2. Metallurg Nk
3. Yugra/Sochi

That gives us 27 teams. If they can fill the remaining five spots with, for example, Red Bull Munich/Salzburg, Malmo Redhawks, Eisbaren Berlin, Valerenga Oslo, and any other Finnish, Swedish or Swiss club, that'd be great.

Last edited:

BlueBratislava

Nov 7, 2013
Following just the political situation, I find it hard to believe that Donbass will play next season, after their home arena was partially torched. The arena might be repairable, but the political instability in eastern Ukraine probably will preclude hockey being played there for at least part of if not the entire season. Donetsk already had to play home games in Slovakia.

And probably will in 2014/2015, Slovakian media are already talking about this as a realistic alternative since Medvedev said the 2 alternatives are Minsk and Bratislava. In the spring one Play-Off game was 20,000€ (to organize) without any profit to the Slovnaft Arena's Owner which is the City of Bratislava. If they will want to play further at Slovnaft Arena on a stable basis, the price will be higher.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Yeah, and was immediately bashed by the fans.
Ulmanos didn't seem to understand the idea of international league too well, nor did he think his words through I think.
That was a typical populist statement that had the opposite effect.

1. Spartak
2. Metallurg Nk
3. Yugra/Sochi

That gives us 27 teams. If they can fill the remaining five spots with, for example, Red Bull Munich/Salzburg, Malmo Redhawks, Eisbaren Berlin, Valerenga Oslo, and any other Finnish, Swedish or Swiss club, that'd be great.

Neither of the bolded are happening. Malmö already signed a new agreement with the arena. There's also no sponsors in Finland for two KHL teams. Even Roman Rotenberg said it's not a realistic idea.

thevreelander

Nov 10, 2013
The political situation in the Ukraine might keep Donbass out of the KHL next season, but I don't believe the arena issue will. Druzhba Arena was burned, but isn't Kalmius Arena suppose to be operational for 2014-2015? I still believe a year or two out of the KHL is a good idea for Donbass until political stability happens in the Ukraine (it will eventually).

bobbeaver

Oct 7, 2013
The political situation in the Ukraine might keep Donbass out of the KHL next season, but I don't believe the arena issue will. Druzhba Arena was burned, but isn't Kalmius Arena suppose to be operational for 2014-2015? I still believe a year or two out of the KHL is a good idea for Donbass until political stability happens in the Ukraine (it will eventually).

no its set for 15/16 season now since the delays because of the "situation" and Ukrain is still officially doing the eurobasket 2015. They just asked for a delay and got it till June to see if they will still be organizing it. So all the arenas (6 i think) and an a new airport terminal in Odessa will be built till 2015 early spring.

I think Donbass needs to stay in KHL. they are the only driving force of hockey in Ukrain, including their regional hockey school program except the short on funds HC Kiev Berkut. They give the publicity to the sport there. i mean more than half the ice rinks are in Donetsk, Kiev and Kharkov. And Kharkov doesnt even have a proper team. Currently i am guessing they all feed Donbass with juniors since only the junior part of the clubs exist in those places. If they go out of KHL it would most likely destroy everything as i really dont know which league they would play in than.

alce*

no its set for 15/16 season now since the delays because of the "situation" and Ukrain is still officially doing the eurobasket 2015. They just asked for a delay and got it till June to see if they will still be organizing it. So all the arenas (6 i think) and an a new airport terminal in Odessa will be built till 2015 early spring.

I think Donbass needs to stay in KHL. they are the only driving force of hockey in Ukrain, including their regional hockey school program except the short on funds HC Kiev Berkut. They give the publicity to the sport there. i mean more than half the ice rinks are in Donetsk, Kiev and Kharkov. And Kharkov doesnt even have a proper team. Currently i am guessing they all feed Donbass with juniors since only the junior part of the clubs exist in those places. If they go out of KHL it would most likely destroy everything as i really dont know which league they would play in than.

Sadly, but I think that Donbass is dead case as of now. Even if civil war would be ended (which isn't looking that way), economical state of Ukraine could prevent participating in KHL. Plus whoever wins that war, Kolesnikov business would be in serious danger.

bobbeaver

Oct 7, 2013
Sadly, but I think that Donbass is dead case as of now. Even if civil war would be ended (which isn't looking that way), economical state of Ukraine could prevent participating in KHL. Plus whoever wins that war, Kolesnikov business would be in serious danger.

well lets hope you are wrong ... I sincerely do, atleast there was no mention of it at all anywhere they are gona quite.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
I wonder, can Donbass temporarily move to Rostov may be??? There's the same arena as Druzhba being renovated the same way as Druzhba was...they wouldn't even know, they went elsewhere.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
I wonder, can Donbass temporarily move to Rostov may be??? There's the same arena as Druzhba being renovated the same way as Druzhba was...they wouldn't even know, they went elsewhere.

Relocating to Russia in this political climate? No way is that going to happen.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Relocating to Russia in this political climate? No way is that going to happen.

Not your fault of course, but this is showing how little western media has covered the insights. rostov and donetsk are not only close in distance, but in spirit as well. Many have travaeld across the border to support shakhtior. I only suggested this as a temp meausre to weather the storm

quartus

May 11, 2011
Not your fault of course, but this is showing how little western media has covered the insights. rostov and donetsk are not only close in distance, but in spirit as well. Many have travaeld across the border to support shakhtior. I only suggested this as a temp meausre to weather the storm

No, western media have given plenty information about all the russians in eastern Ukraine. It's probably just Urbanskog not really following. But just moving the team for a year wouldn't be a good idea anyway, I think. Too many practical problems to solve and what exactly would the fans do?

swosh

Im pink hair niггa
Jul 3, 2013
Prague
Lev Praha Bankrupt

I had really liked KHL expansion and high quality hockey in Prague, but it was luxus. It cant work without donators, fundamentally it is smile offensive project by Russia public companies.

After Ukraine crisis i will not miss it. Maybe another one by 5 or 10 years without inflated budgets?

http://isport.blesk.cz/clanek/hokej...stupce-v-khl-nenaplnil-rozpocet-a-zanika.html

I guess If there were not ban on alcohol ad, Lev would find sponsors

Last edited:

maxim84

Oct 19, 2013
Zagreb
If Lev fans are interested in throwing eggs on the house of whoever was the owner/presindent/head honcho in the club....sign me in...was hoping for a great game in Zagreb and a chance for revenge after horrible playoff for us and now that idea goes down the drain... So sorry to hear that...

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
If Lev fans are interested in throwing eggs on the house of whoever was the owner/presindent/head honcho in the club....sign me in...was hoping for a great game in Zagreb and a chance for revenge after horrible playoff for us and now that idea goes down the drain... So sorry to hear that...

There were rumors last summer that the Russian owners wanted the team to show signs of economic sustainability and success or they'd pull out their backing. I guess that happened now.

billy piton

Apr 5, 2010
Zagreb
what a shame :(

definitely not a good sign for the khl. lev was one of the most important part of khl expanssion but it also seems that many teams are in trouble. spartak and lev folded, donbass is on hold due to political situation, atlant, novokuznjeck, amur and few others have serious financial issues.

competeing with the nhl that has almost 4 bln $ income was serious risk and now with possibilty of escalation of the ukrainian crisis the goverment obviously decided that money is needed somewhere else.

kometa

@pucksport
Oct 6, 2011
Markranstaedt, Saxony
What I don't understand is what the owners did expect here after two seasons. And even if they have had sold out the stadium over and over again, the minus would not be much lower with these cheap ticket prices.

At the end a club like this in Central Europe is always a kind of advertising for the league itself and the funding must be sure for five to ten years minimum.

Last edited:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Donbass out, Lev out, Spartak out, Riga in great uncertainty, CSKA seem to have their budget cut.. KHL is a bust!1!! :scared::scared:

Edit: Oh and Atlant too :scared::scared::scared:

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
What I don't understand is what the owners did expect here after two seasons. And even if they have had sold out the stadium over and over again, the minus would not be much lower with these cheap ticket prices.

At the end a club like this in Central Europe is always a kind of advertising for the league itself and the funding must be sure for five to ten years minimum.

No offence to any russians here, but it seems to be part of mentality there. They just wanted to have it bigger and bigger no matter what will be tommorrow. Just dreamers thought that this project could work.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad