KHL attendance thread 2016-17

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
hansomreiste, you are right, Russians are not good at marketing and all you wrote. On the other hand Chernyshenko wants to change this attitude in the KHL (& in Match TV as well). He wants clubs to develop in this direction and some clubs dont care so will have to leave for that reason. Remain to be seen if Chernyshenko succeed, it is not easy in Russia.

PS: Medvedev was great leader for the KHL when the league was established. He has done a lot for the league, but he and his team was not good at marketing. Chernyshenko said a few days ago that KHL was undervalued from commercial point of view before he became President. Chernyshenko has worked in sport marketing whole life, he was responsible for Sochi Olympics. So he and his team have to know something about sport marketing.

ermolli

Nov 22, 2016
Bratislava - Engerau
This is not about money but mentality.

Personally, I start watch KHL games in 2011, this forum I read maybe 3 years. But what I see is big forward step in sport marketing of KHL - for example clubs logos, design of jerseys, promo videos on the KHL sites, and finally quality of the TV broadcasting. Today KHL is more professional. Finally, I think there is no hard different between russian and europe sport mentality, there only missing bigger KHL impact to Europe.

However, I know people who can't get KHL webcast to work even with fiber connections. It's a troubled product. Moreover, for most people who can't speak Russian, even "finding the way" is difficult.

Hm, I dont know, but I havent any problem with live streams from KHL web. There is very fast access (maybe 30 seconds to pay) and low price for a game. For example I watching Avangard - Ak Bar now in very good quality. Again, there is possible progress - for example games with english commentary, or create week, month, or year acces - I think its better to pay monthly acces for 30 euro with all games, like 1,3 euro for one game now.

When I was at highschool, NHL was broadcast on ESPN in Turkey and my 8yo brother would wake up 2hrs earlier for school only to watch San Jose & Anaheim & Los Angeles games, since they start at 05:30 and later than East Coast games

This is great! Fans in traditional non-hockey country. So, this is evidence, that hockey market in Europe is still open. Yes, NHL is NHL its better and bigger world league. But KHL is exclusive european project without any competition - small national leagues are without potential, CHL is joke. Finally, we have "virgin" hockey territories in Europe when KHL can create hockey sport culture.

ermolli

Nov 22, 2016
Bratislava - Engerau
Medvedev was great leader for the KHL when the league was established. He has done a lot for the league, but he and his team was not good at marketing.

If I good remeber, at 2012-2013 was three points plan to KHL developing: 1. Arenas with 9k capacity 2. Better quality of TV broadcasting 3. NHL rink size.

1. Arenas - it is slow process, but I think its on track. Now we have 1/3 arenas over 10k capacity. The biggest 5 attendances of the league are in arenas over 10k. I think there is direct correlation between attendance and arena capacity. If Spartak play in VTB full season, I think avg. attendance can attack 10k. So I think att. will increase in Sochi, Astana and Dynamo also.

3. NHL rinks - is this still actually? I know, in european (russian) hockey is a lot of traditionalist, or conservatives. But hockey on the NHL rink size is more atractive for TV viewers and finally, quality gap between Canada and rest of the world is still bigger and bigger (for example Czech national team couch after World Cup said, that european hockey have to go to integration way first /what he meaned "integration?"/, and then keep NHL ranks).

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
KHL TV has come a long way since it's beginning. I often watch highlights from old games in 2010 I visited and its much better now. Yes they need to maybe translate the 'video' part of the website, its odd how anybody can access it but its only in Russian, but then again most of the teams fans are able to use basic Russian at least so no real incentive yet to change things?

Randomly, as mentioning KHL in other Euro markets. Premier Sports in the UK has started a weekly KHL Catch Up show. Its around an hour long, shows interviews from games and all the highlights. A decent step into the UK. Premier Sports is our main pay monthly sports channel that focuses on hockey, 15 NHL games live per week, play offs, IIHF, UK Games and the Swedish SHL is all shown there.

However English commentary surely has to be the next step for KHL TV?

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
ermolli

1. Many people are confused by this attendance rule. KHL rules say that minimal capacity of arena is 5500 (in cities under 100k inhabitants like Chekhov & maybe Yugra, the arena can be lower 5500 but not less than 2500) seats. If a club decides to build NEW arena, the new arena have to be over 12000 seats (in city over 500k inhabitants) or over 9000 seats (city under 500k inhabitants. If there are two and more clubs in one city (Moscow), then new arena has to be over 9000 seats. Source (page 3 & 50)

All new arenas - Astana, VTB in Moscow - are over 12k seats. Yes, it is not easy to build new arenas because 1) financial crisis in Russia 2) all money going to FIFA World Cup stadiums. But Russian government plans to invest in hockey infrastructure after 2018 year, including new big (over 12k) arenas in Novosibirsk, N.Novgorod and Ekaterinburg. Arenas in those three cities are considered at worst arenas in the league (maybe CSKA too?? and of course Sokolniky, but this arena is not used anymore if I remember - Spartak plays in Luzniky or VTB). CSKA, Dynamo Msc plan to build their new arenas too, but I am not sure how serious it is now, takes too long.

2. quality of TV broadcasting - There are still arenas/clubs with SD format. It is too expensive for clubs to buy HD equipment and sponsors (local government) dont want to buy HD as well (see financial crisis). That is a reason why we dont have streams/broadcasting from several arenas (Vityaz? Sokolniky in past, Severstal?? Not sure now). Chernyshenko wants the clubs to invest in broadcasting (HD, lighting, ice, etc), so there is motivation for clubs from revenue sharing - if tv broadcasters buy more games of your club, you will get more money from the league. But it is not easy to improve quality of TV broadcasting over night. You know.... I still remember 2008 year, it was really bad.

3. NHL size rinks. There is still vague discussion about the topic, but I dont think it is serious now (too much expensive to change all arenas/rinks in the country and some arenas dont have ability to change the size). And there was never discussion about NHL size rinks, but finnish one.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Rigafan

Are you talking about KHL TV stations or KHL broadcasting at your local television/broadcaster? Is KHL TV available outside Russia/CIS? Because I would like to watch it, but it is not available (if I know) in Slovakia. I mean legally.

weekly KHL Catch Up show.

Is it show of Premier Sports or russian original (made by KHL) translated to english? Sport TV here in Slovakia has similar show but it is not so long and I am not sure if it is product of Sport TV or russian original.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Near sell out in Podolsk for the game against Loko today.
I spoke to a person from Podolsk today, and she said that season tickets (with scarves) were literally given away in their factory ealier this year. Season tickets, Carl!
1000 Jokerit fans today in away game @ Riga :yo:
All set in one section of the arena...
Could it be the largest fans road trip in KHL?
It was brought up in the general season thread already, and no, it couldn't.

ermolli

Nov 22, 2016
Bratislava - Engerau
ermolli But Russian government plans to invest in hockey infrastructure after 2018 year, including new big (over 12k) arenas in Novosibirsk, N.Novgorod and Ekaterinburg.

Thank you vorky for your clarification about arenas. And about new arenas in Novosibirsk, Novgorod and Yekaterinburg - finnish will be maybe at 2020-2022? I red any article about Novosibirsk - it is real hockey town with a lot of kids play hockey, that its something like "Canada" in Russia, from hockey point of view - hockey is sport no. 1.

Btw, today Spartak vs. Slovan 7511, Sochi vs. Medvescak 6289, Riga vs. Jokerit 8260 and Avangard vs. Ak Bars 10170. I think its pretty good: in Sochi maybe weekend factor? And in Riga baltic derby factor I suppose?

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Thank you vorky for your clarification about arenas. And about new arenas in Novosibirsk, Novgorod and Yekaterinburg - finnish will be maybe at 2020-2022? I red any article about Novosibirsk - it is real hockey town with a lot of kids play hockey, that its something like "Canada" in Russia, from hockey point of view - hockey is sport no. 1.

Btw, today Spartak vs. Slovan 7511, Sochi vs. Medvescak 6289, Riga vs. Jokerit 8260 and Avangard vs. Ak Bars 10170. I think its pretty good: in Sochi maybe weekend factor? And in Riga baltic derby factor I suppose?

I dont know about deadlines for new arenas. The government programme of hockey development in Russia is not approved yet. Special commision will meet in April 2017, government (Ministry of Sport I believe) should approve the Programme later next year I believe.

It was mentioned earlier that Novosibirsk wants to host WJC 2023, see article.

Acallabeth

Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
I dont know about deadlines for new arenas. The government programme of hockey development in Russia is not approved yet. Special commision will meet in April 2017, government (Ministry of Sport I believe) should approve the Programme later next year I believe.
It was mentioned earlier that Novosibirsk wants to host WJC 2023, see article.
Sverdlovsk Oblast governor said that the city has a lot of obligations preparing for the 2018 football World Cup, so it's quite probable that the construction won't start after the big event is over, making the 2020 finish highly unlikely IMO.
Nizhegorodskaya Oblastt governor linked the arena construction with the economy's improvement, so I wouldn't expect it built by 2020-2021 as well.

Just to compare, a football Lokomotiv game only had 6414 of attendance reported. Obviously, an open stadium and a cold weather, but still impressive to see hockey matches drawing more, though Spartak has an advantage of close ties to Fratria (a large football ultras group for those who don't know). They also have a great St program, cheap and flexible.

ermolli

Nov 22, 2016
Bratislava - Engerau
Of course, I watched Spartak - Slovan and there wos quite good atmosphere in the Arena (in the TV looks). And whats about next season? If Spartak play in VTB average attendance is approx. 1400 higher than in the Luzhniki. Is it possible to move to VTB for whole season, or not?

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
Rigafan

Are you talking about KHL TV stations or KHL broadcasting at your local television/broadcaster? Is KHL TV available outside Russia/CIS? Because I would like to watch it, but it is not available (if I know) in Slovakia. I mean legally.

weekly KHL Catch Up show.

Is it show of Premier Sports or russian original (made by KHL) translated to english? Sport TV here in Slovakia has similar show but it is not so long and I am not sure if it is product of Sport TV or russian original.

Hello vorky

With KHL TV i mean the online stream of live games we can all buy on the 'KHL Gamecentre' HOWEVER. I do watch KHL TV via a Latvian TV link. According to KHL the actual TV Channel is 'available in 7 European countries' however they do not say which?

Regarding the weekly catch up show - its their 'KHL Daily Update' from YouTube, with the same English commentator, but with more in-depth. Highlights are longer and it actually shows you the interviews from English speaking players, the Swedes ect from after the game. It's not much but it's a nice start. However I usually watcht he Latvian TV KHL TV instead .

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Acallabeth, thank you for clarification about arenas. If I understand it, Russian government finance the construction of those arenas after FIFA World Cup. Dont know if fully or partially.

Rigafan Thank you.

When speaking about KHL TV Channel, the KHL TV channel promised before season that will take "shows. interviews etc" of regional tv broadcasters. Has it happenned?

Marky1999

Sep 5, 2016
Hello vorky

With KHL TV i mean the online stream of live games we can all buy on the 'KHL Gamecentre' HOWEVER. I do watch KHL TV via a Latvian TV link. According to KHL the actual TV Channel is 'available in 7 European countries' however they do not say which?

Regarding the weekly catch up show - its their 'KHL Daily Update' from YouTube, with the same English commentator, but with more in-depth. Highlights are longer and it actually shows you the interviews from English speaking players, the Swedes ect from after the game. It's not much but it's a nice start. However I usually watcht he Latvian TV KHL TV instead .

Is the weekly catch up show also available online? Thanks

metmag

Mar 4, 2013
1300-2000 Jokerit fans in Riga.

Really amazes me in hindsight that people here were saying that Jokerit would get no support due to the fact that it would lack traditionally established rivalries. Seems to have minimal effect and judging from the quoted post, their fan base is quite strong.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Really amazes me in hindsight that people here were saying that Jokerit would get no support due to the fact that it would lack traditionally established rivalries. Seems to have minimal effect and judging from the quoted post, their fan base is quite strong.

That's basically their only major road trip and if I understood correctly, players family members also took part. About 100-120 people were turned away at the arena entrances for being too drunk. :laugh: It's too expensive to make the kind of road trips teh fans made back in the Liiga days. They basically have one two times a year a chance to make this kind ofa trip to either Riga or Saint Petersburg.

TommySalo

Dec 27, 2009
Record attandance for Kunlun vs. SKA. 2461 spectators, still not good enough, but better.

forp

Nov 15, 2016
Record attandance for Kunlun vs. SKA. 2461 spectators, still not good enough, but better.

I felt more than half of the arena was seated last night, and the capacity was about 5000.

Had it been a weekend game, we might see a much better attendance. I heard some my friends who never watched a hockey game bought the Saturday night ticket for KRS vs Severstal. When you have this game between the SKA game on Thursday and the CSKA game on Monday, every hockey fan would know which game to go to if allowed to pick one or two of the three. Apparently, the weekend factor played the bigger part in their decision. On the other hand, the Saturday game isn't a bad choice for them either, our home team has much better chance to win anyway:D

Last edited:

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
KHL attendance per khl.ru

Table 1
KHL attendance since 2008/09 season, numbers for current season are from Dec 13

Rows at left – number of clubs, number of matches, number of arenas, average attendance

Table 2
KHL 2016/17 attendance – month by month, numbers for december are from Dec 13

Rows at left – august to december
Columns – number of matches, total attendance, average attendance

Table 3
KHL 2016/2017 attendance – home matches club by club, numbers for december are from Dec 13

Columns – clubs, number of home matches, total attendance, average attendance

Table 4
KHL 2016/2017 attendance – away matches club by club, numbers for december are from Dec 13

Columns – clubs, number of away matches, total attendance, average attendance

Kunlun in Shanghai is key reason why attendance dropped this season, hoping Beijing will have attendance higher. 2014/15 was record season, that season was more derbie matches within conference/division, bigger arenas in West. Every club plays against every club at least once since 15/16. It is expensive for flights and accomodation, the league discussing how to help clubs not to pay so much money for flights/accomodation.

Month by month - best results are for August. Russian fans are used to visit summer hockey (pre-season tournaments), August results are proof. Only two nonrussian clubs played at home during August. Slovan and Medvescak. Slovan´s numbers are on par with club´s average attendance in this season. Medvescak´s numbers for august matches are much better than club´s average for season - 5500 & 5800 (August) vs 4 878 (average).

Average attendance has been growing month by month (Sept to Dec) this season.

Acallabeth

Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
6125 without Kunlun, which I think is a bit better than the trans-December attendance last year. I think the fact that SKA's moneybag is steamrolling over the league has certainly decreased the attendance, as less RS games are as important. CSKA's attendance is embarrassing too.

hockeyMB89

May 26, 2015
Krakow
Barys Astana last 7 home game.

vs. Spartak 6641 sp.
vs. Sochi 5500 sp.
vs. Torpedo 5853 sp.
vs. Salavat Yulaev 7140 sp.
vs. Jokerit 6494 sp.
vs. Dinamo Mn. 4937 sp.
vs. Dinamo R. 9083 sp.

+/- 6521 sp.

Jokerit Helsinki last 7 home game.

vs. SKA 12929 sp.
vs. Severstal 8898 sp.
vs. Lada 8171 sp.
vs. Barys 9731 sp.
vs. Avtomobilist 9262 sp.
vs. Ugra 10610 sp.
vs. Dinamo Mn 8759 sp.

+/- 9765 sp.

Slovan Bratislava last 7 home game.

vs. Admiral 8681 sp.
vs. Avtomobilist 7624 sp.
vs. Barys 9566 sp.
vs. Ugra 9708 sp.
vs. Lokomotiv 10055 sp.
vs. Dynamo Msk 10055 sp.
vs. Vityaz 10055 sp.

+/- 9377 sp.

Last edited:

bishonen91

Jun 22, 2012
Again every single Medvescak att number this season is falsified. There's no way they avg 4800 per game :)))

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad