KHL attendance thread 2016-17

mkev400

Jul 21, 2016
In news, Spartak has set a new attendance record of 8739 at their home opener in the Legends arena: http://www.spartak.ru/press/news/item27014/

Are they sharing legends arena/VTB Ice Palace with Dianmo this season then? I thought they were playing in the Luzhniki Small Sports Arena, or have I missed something?
I watched bits and pieces of the Opener vs. Jokerit and thought that it could have been LA/Ice Palace.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
Sochi opening night v Riga was over 5000 fans. I seen somebody calling them out for being 'half empty as usual'. Over 5k is good for any team.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Are they sharing legends arena/VTB Ice Palace with Dianmo this season then? I thought they were playing in the Luzhniki Small Sports Arena, or have I missed something?
I watched bits and pieces of the Opener vs. Jokerit and thought that it could have been LA/Ice Palace.

their main arena is luzhniky, just some top games will be played at vtb ice palace.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Checkmate ult! CSKA opened the season with just 2800 fans in attendance, it was sad to watch.

To be fair, it may be the biggest case of bad KHL marketing. It looks like while I was riding horses the CSKA fans were ranting about their new season tickets program; I ran into this outburst just yesterday completely by surprise. Key points for those who don't read Russian:
- the ST prices were dramatically raised: basic price for the author's category ST leapt from 7k to 12k (the author calls the price "sky high"), and this only includes the 1st round of the playoffs instead of its entirety like it used to be.
- no loyalty system;
- no bonuses like fan shop discounts or free candies;
- lack of flexibility and different ST types.

The fans have also complained to the CSKA CEO Igor Yesmanovich about prices, to what Igor replied that an average game price for a 15k ST was just 365 rubles.

Sure, both parties have their reasons, but I side with Igor here. 7k was one of the cheapest season tickets in all of the KHL, that price was not "pretty reasonable" as that guy writes, it was completely ridiculous, especially for Moscow which is the wealthiest Russian city. And the attendance was still very poor. CSKA fans can complain as much as they want about an outdated 25 year old arena, but the idea they should pay the least in the league to watch one of the best teams is exactly what's dragging down the KHL. If the team had 30k requests for a home game against SKA, they can easily charge 2-4k for a ticket, so one Western Final series can give them more income than all the ST program.

One question remaining is why not just Megasport?..

mkev400

Jul 21, 2016

Well, one reason might be rent. Its not like they own Megasport Arena, no? And if they open with 2800 people at home (regardless of the ST price increase of some 5k Rub, which is €70 odd) then I doubt they will draw well at Megasport. Its a modern enough arena and given the rent, the price increase for tickets would potentially increase even further, for the team to cover the rent and at least break even on the financial profit they make at their own arena.
Mind you if CSKA fans already arent willing to pay more for a "moderate increase" (as you say, cheapest tickets for a top team), then I highly doubt they'll want to cough up the highly inflated ticket prices the team will have to charge if/when they become a tenant in a big arena.

ult

Sep 21, 2009
Checkmate ult! CSKA opened the season with just 2800 fans in attendance, it was sad to watch.

To be fair, it may be the biggest case of bad KHL marketing. It looks like while I was riding horses the CSKA fans were ranting about their new season tickets program; I ran into this outburst just yesterday completely by surprise. Key points for those who don't read Russian:
- the ST prices were dramatically raised: basic price for the author's category ST leapt from 7k to 12k (the author calls the price "sky high"), and this only includes the 1st round of the playoffs instead of its entirety like it used to be.
- no loyalty system;
- no bonuses like fan shop discounts or free candies;
- lack of flexibility and different ST types.

The fans have also complained to the CSKA CEO Igor Yesmanovich about prices, to what Igor replied that an average game price for a 15k ST was just 365 rubles.

Sure, both parties have their reasons, but I side with Igor here. 7k was one of the cheapest season tickets in all of the KHL, that price was not "pretty reasonable" as that guy writes, it was completely ridiculous, especially for Moscow which is the wealthiest Russian city. And the attendance was still very poor. CSKA fans can complain as much as they want about an outdated 25 year old arena, but the idea they should pay the least in the league to watch one of the best teams is exactly what's dragging down the KHL. If the team had 30k requests for a home game against SKA, they can easily charge 2-4k for a ticket, so one Western Final series can give them more income than all the ST program.

wtf? What it has to do with the new arena? Me personally, I would never go to such ****hole as their current arena. I'd imagine a lot of people wouldn't as well. And with each passing year it becomes increasingly outdated as people become accustomed to the modern arenas and stadiums. Why would you go to that arena when you get much better experience at home? And had they played that game at Megasport, they would have gotten twice that number. Easy.

And we've talked million times about why no one plays in Megasport. It was supposed to change after modernization, but it didn't.

So if anything, the low attendance will only make them hurry up with the construction of a new one.

mkev400

Jul 21, 2016
And had they played that game at Megasport, they would have gotten twice that number. Easy.

5600 in an arena thats supposed to hold 12k isnt that great either.

Id even argue from a percentage capacity its much worse. Working of Wikipedias listed capacities:
Megasport Arena (Hockey Config): 12,126
CSKA Ice Palace: 5,600

Which means that CSKA drew a 50% capacity for the home opener. If we are going by your assumption that attendance for the home opener would have doubled, we are speaking of an attendance of 5600 people proj. in the Megasport Arena. Simple Maths tells us that this would mean drawing less than 50% of the total capacity (46.2%). And thats without factoring in any price increases, which would be imminent, if CSKA decided to play there to cover the rent and running cost of the Arena (concession stands, security guards, general staff)...

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
So if anything, the low attendance will only make them hurry up with the construction of a new one.
Oh, maybe, it will just look even more pathetic. Like when Torpedo played in a 80k Luzhniki in front of 300 fans, CSKA is on their way there. Hockey CSKA simply has no fanbase, I wonder if they could draw 10k for a negotiated match in the football CSKA stadium.

Milos Krasic

Best Serbian Footballer (2009) / Serie A Winner
Jul 1, 2008
A recent 2nd division football game between Dynamo and Spartak-2 got over 7K fans. Football Sibir is usually between 2-3K. Yaroslavl and Khabarovsk are about the same. Neftekhimik is less than 2K. These are all 2nd division teams for comparison.

Last edited:

jaco

Oct 21, 2011
Red Star Kunlun

That's what I right now on en.khl.ru:

Le Sports Center (Beijing)
1000 (audience)

Is that correct? Would be sad.....

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
That's what I right now on en.khl.ru:

Le Sports Center (Beijing)
1000 (audience)

Is that correct? Would be sad.....

no it is not, I guess it is just testing the system because this att. number were at the site a hour before game started. Btw Russian commentators said before game that all 8k tickets were sold.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Is that not around the amount of fans that attended the China Dragon games all season long last year?

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
Maybe Sochi is finally taking to their team. Didn't see any numbers, but watching the hilites of their game against Amur, it looked like one of the best regular season crowds I've ever seen in that arena.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Maybe Sochi is finally taking to their team. Didn't see any numbers, but watching the hilites of their game against Amur, it looked like one of the best regular season crowds I've ever seen in that arena.

Actually, according to the official figure which is 6.107 people, this is just half of what Bolshoy Ice Dome can accommodate. I want Sochi to make a Gagarin Cup run solely for this beautiful arena - wondering if they would see 10K. I'm really angry with whoever took Trabzon-Sochi ferries down. If they were still in place, Sochi would be my favorite destination for KHL hockey easily.

Last edited:

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
For comparison IFK Helsinki in CHL - 3503 average attendance.

So KHL >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>CHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad