KHL attendance thread 2016-17

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Last edited:

jaco

Oct 21, 2011
Let them win some games and climb the standings. Attendance will eventually rise. Only die hard fans like to attend a 0-4 defeat.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Let them win some games and climb the standings. Attendance will eventually rise. Only die hard fans like to attend a 0-4 defeat.

Sure, even these numbers are quite high compared to KHL average but in general, there are things Jokerit fans don't like about KHL anymore. Just look at Jokerit thread... Last year it was one of the most active threads with many fruitful discussions, nice atmosphere in general etc. but now it's almost empty. This can be discussed in expansion thread as well but I kinda feel like KHL abroad is falling apart. Medvescak have been in shambles for long. Interest in Jokerit is decreasing. Riga fans know they will not get anything to cheer for in foreseeable future. Kunlun is a joke/circus team playing in two different cities with no fan interest to speak of. Minsk, Bratislava and maybe Astana to some degree are where KHL is still somehow relevant.

Milos Krasic

Best Serbian Footballer (2009) / Serie A Winner
Jul 1, 2008

They knew it was going to be an 0-4 defeat before the game was played?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
For comparison IFK Helsinki in CHL - 3503 average attendance.

So KHL >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>CHL.

:laugh: :facepalm:

IFK Helsinki's CHL attendance has nothing to do with Jokerit. IFK average ~7000 in Liiga in an arena with 8200 capacity.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
:laugh: :facepalm:

IFK Helsinki's CHL attendance has nothing to do with Jokerit. IFK average ~7000 in Liiga in an arena with 8200 capacity.

This comparison is something Alessandro Seren Rosso would probably love doing but I am surprised vorky did it.

Kunlun had 550 spectators today against Nizhnekamsk :laugh:

No wonder as tickets cost roughly €78

Am I the only one who already hates Kunlun? Shanghai and Beijing has a population of over 20 million combined yet obviously, as seen, almost nobody is interested in a team they knew would be playing in KHL this season. Without magical stuff and significant development, not many will just say, "OK, let's go watch an ice hockey game!" and start filling the arena. Anyways, maybe it's because they play in Shanghai and hopefully things will get better in Beijing. Or... Did they play in Beijing? What legit team plays in two cities? Meh.

Marky1999

Sep 5, 2016
Am I the only one who already hates Kunlun? Shanghai and Beijing has a population of over 20 million combined yet obviously, as seen, almost nobody is interested in a team they knew would be playing in KHL this season. Without magical stuff and significant development, not many will just say, "OK, let's go watch an ice hockey game!" and start filling the arena. Anyways, maybe it's because they play in Shanghai and hopefully things will get better in Beijing. Or... Did they play in Beijing? What legit team plays in two cities? Meh.

I completely agree with you. But I am supporting Kunlun because I want ice hockey to get more popular in China. Hopefully Kunlun will advertise their games on the streets of Beijing to inform residents.

I hope that a Japanese or a Korean team would join the KHL. Japan and South Korea have almost made it to the 1st division World Championships a few times. With KHL experience I believe Japan or South Korea could achieve that goal.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
I completely agree with you. But I am supporting Kunlun because I want ice hockey to get more popular in China. Hopefully Kunlun will advertise their games on the streets of Beijing to inform residents.

I hope that a Japanese or a Korean team would join the KHL. Japan and South Korea have almost made it to the 1st division World Championships a few times. With KHL experience I believe Japan or South Korea could achieve that goal.

I would definitely love seeing a competent Chinese team in KHL. I mean, one filled with Chinese players and an identity. A team Chinese people care about. However it is not happening now and I'm not sure if KHL should babysit new nations or teams as second best league in the world. This is not Alps Hockey League. Experimenting with new markets can bring success but at the same time, it indicates that you're still not an established organization having to look for something new. I think KHL first gauge interest just as NHL does. Like, maybe, selling tickets beforehand and seeing how many people will be interested in the team.

I believe the move with China is almost completely political but on ice it will backfire. I sincerely want to be wrong with my assesment in future and hope to see Kunlun blend in very well but this team (and Chinese hockey in general) doesn't seem to be offering anything on that path.

South Korea or Japan would be way more different and exciting.

mkev400

Jul 21, 2016

Did they really though? I mean officially everyone was only made aware that the team would be playing in the KHL in July, when they were accepted (officially) into the league. The team has been in existence for 2 months and you are surprised that there is no fan awareness and or interest? And even then, there didnt seem to be much of a campaign to gather fans before the start of the season.
If this was a club that was brought up from the Asia Hockey League I could understand your stand point (a little) more, but this is a team that only "existed" on paper until the first contract was signed. Ive said it in the Kunlun thread before, this expansion was unnecessarily rushed and there was no time for any fan awareness campaign. In a hostile market in regards to hockey! It doesnt matter if its Shanghai or Beijing! And ticket prices close to NHL level won't help one bit with this!

I mean look at the NHL expansion of Las Vegas for comparison:
They were accepted into the league at about the same time, but only start next year.
They drummed up support and had fan awareness and ticket drives to generate interest. (They just capped season ticket sales because they sold all of them in two months with proper marketing).
I know the background is different because its the first major franchise to call Vegas home, but that should be all the more reason to shake heads over this ludicrous expansion timeline in the KHL.

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
Long term Kunlun will be fine. Once they get the word out that hockey is a very popular North American and European sport, the Chinese will flock to it like they did for basketball and football. They just need to market it properly, show some NHL vids with the crowds and what not, help people understand the game by running some Hockey 101 clinics and they'll catch on. This isn't a short term project, it's a long term one and in a few years they'll be fine.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Long term Kunlun will be fine. Once they get the word out that hockey is a very popular North American and European sport, the Chinese will flock to it like they did for basketball and football. They just need to market it properly, show some NHL vids with the crowds and what not, help people understand the game by running some Hockey 101 clinics and they'll catch on. This isn't a short term project, it's a long term one and in a few years they'll be fine.

Now if only we could get HFBoards posters on those as well...

mkev400

Jul 21, 2016

Id be surprised to see them play beyond 2022. The team seems more and more like a (VERY VERY EXPENSIVE) publicity stunt for the Olympics.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Dynamo Minsk had over 15K spectators at home today against Dynamo Moscow... Amazing. I have tickets for Avtomobilist & Yugra in January. It will probably not be that crowded but I still hope and expect 10K+ from this awesome team and fans. And is it only me or did numbers start dropping compared to last year? I see figures like 2-3K frequently this time around. Last year was a little bit better. Now with Riga also uncompetitive and Kunlun new to the environment, can we expect a drop in attendance after many years of positive run?

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Bussiness Online published attendance for first part of season. Details for Ak Bars and SY Ufa. Source

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Thank you. As expected, overall attendance is down due to Kunlun, and is a bit down without it as the playoff hunt is still away.

Biggest fallers are Dinamo Riga (-1500 false fanz), CSKA (that needs a San Siro sized arena, according to some ;) ) and Kuznya. Biggest riser by far is Dynamo Minsk (+2k), then Spartak.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
KHL website published article about attendance too. Source

attendance_2016_2017.jpg

season/total attendance all clubs in millions in Nov/average

Average - 18 clubs decreased (in comparison with last season), 10 clubs have higher attendance this season.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
KHL website published article about attendance too. Source

attendance_2016_2017.jpg

season/total attendance all clubs in millions in Nov/average

Average - 18 clubs decreased (in comparison with last season), 10 clubs have higher attendance this season.

In my opinion, these numbers are quite good. The poor performance of Dynamo Riga and Jokerit surely had an impact on this - I don't expect much to change for Riga but Jokerit will probably draw more people to Hartwall as play-off comes nearer with the team also (hopefully) doing better. And then there is Red Star Kunlun, who surely *****ed up the attendance stats. Figures are not bad and they can only go better.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Things aren't terrible but again, some teams (Barys, CSKA) should really up their game. Barys is especially the case of flawed logic which is rampant in both KHL HQ (it seems) and on this board. They have a shiny new 11.5k arena and mostly ~4k people in the stands. Sure having new arenas is better than having old ones but its impact on attendance is very marginal. You can't just pop new arenas in every corner and expect attendance to get better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad