Speculation: KHL after Sochi Games

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
I dont want why there is discussion about WHC and interest of fans. This thread is dedicated, according to me, to KHL after Sochi Games.

Fasel said that nothing decided about "Challenge Cup (Champions League)", so who knows what Tretyak was saying about. Fasel confrimed, KHL will be main IIHF´s partner which will help to form this new competition.

Which countries would actually care, AT ALL, about a challenge cup? Russia? Any others?

These champions league type of ideas are getting sad now. Hockey is not football, will never be football. UEFA champions league is followed by pretty much the entire world, a champions league hockey tournament won't even be followed by some of the countries participating.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Which countries would actually care, AT ALL, about a challenge cup? Russia? Any others?

These champions league type of ideas are getting sad now. Hockey is not football, will never be football. UEFA champions league is followed by pretty much the entire world, a champions league hockey tournament won't even be followed by some of the countries participating.

I wouldnt worry because these champions league ideas always fail anyway,besides KHL doesnt need it,they cant make any profit or money from it,so whats the point?

all of this(again) is Russian Hockey Federations and Tretyaks Pejorative Slured new ideas.

VladNYC*

Tretiak said that the NHL wants the Victoria Cup to come back, which personally I think can't be true. I don't see what the NHL has to gain by getting whooped on by KHL teams.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vicente

Jun 6, 2012
Cologne
Here is one thing I'd never ever want to see in KHL. Please NEVER introduce NHL rinks. Oh my god... I just saw some NHL hockey again after a while and it is so hard to the eye seeing the way hockey is played overseas. It's just complete perversion to the game itself. Just 12 big guys hitting each other 10 times a minute and barely any speed in the game... :banghead:

Then if you watch some KHL you see very skilled players who can play at very high speed. You see long and nice combinations between several players of a team who try to create nice opportunities. You see a lot of technique and less bs hitting. You see the tactics of a game, different levels of speed etc. In NHL just one guy fires the puck into the other third and all chase it to see who gets it lol.

I guess NHL rinks in KHL would be the end of KHL. ;) They even should stop playing in NHL sized rinks in the NHL - or reduce number of players to 5 by team because 6 on each side are just way too many.

Vicente

Jun 6, 2012
Cologne
*insert notsureifserious.jpg.*

Depends on the rink you play on. Any KHL team would beat NHL teams on Olympic sized rink. KHL players have so much better technique and overall skills than ANY non-european NHL player.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Depends on the rink you play on. Any KHL team would beat NHL teams on Olympic sized rink. KHL players have so much better technique and overall skills than ANY non-european NHL player.

Obvious troll is obvious. :rolleyes:

Btw, you do know that KHL is going to 28 meter wide rinks in 2014?

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Medvedev said the goal is to raise the number of games from 52 to 68-72.

it looks like the khl has some really beef with the FHR

I copied it.

It will really be interesting in next year or two. Where is new election of FHR president btw?

KHL´s goals
- more games, less EHT´breaks, WC in February
- maybe euro competition but with "clever" schedulling
- no limits for imports (or not so strict), no youth limits
- expand to Europe
- MoU with NHL, no PTA (or fair one)

FHR´s goals
- more EHT breaks, no move of WC
- KHL have to adapt for whatever IIHF brings
- imports limits, ideally to have NO non-russian in RUS clubs, limits for youth
- we dont need euro clubs attitude
- PTA with NHL (every penny is good)

Am I only one who can see the different?

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
WC will not be moved to February because that means 0 NHL players will be availible.

EHT could be cancelled, no fans care about it, but it brings money, that the leagues see very little off. :laugh:

- maybe euro competition but with "clever" schedulling

Unless the KHL is planning on paying 10-20mil € to the winner (which isn't a lot for KHL), you can count this out already. No country will give a ****. :laugh: Okay maybe not that much, but there has to be a LOT of money involved.

Last edited:

ult

Sep 21, 2009
Vladimir Petrov praised the decision, saying it makes the game more intense, crowd pleasing and raises the skill level.

Foreign media publishing some google translated rumors. Old.

And for every veteran player supporting the decision you can find equally decorated one, who's against it. Even Medvedev himself won't be making a decision, there is a hot discussion lying ahead.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Europe does not have money, no ECC or so, forget... just curious if/why KHL support it. That is a game, no serious project.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Increasing games would be waay more profitable for khl than to set up some tourney with no history or tradition.

History or tradition is insignificant in this case. The clubs are all in favor of a European Championship tournament as long as it's profitable enough. Besides, the European Cup had a fairly long history. Of course it understandable that KHL wouldn't want to let the Swiss prove again that superiority is decided on ice instead of who overpays mediocre players the most. :D

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
History or tradition is insignificant in this case. The clubs are all in favor of a European Championship tournament as long as it's profitable enough. Besides, the European Cup had a fairly long history. Of course it understandable that KHL wouldn't want to let the Swiss prove again that superiority is decided on ice instead of who overpays mediocre players the most. :D

I`ll just leave it here :)

KHL has nothing to gain from this,khl needs money for infrastructure and this laughable tourney wont provide that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad