Speculation: KHL after Sochi Games

Vicente

Jun 6, 2012
Cologne
how do you see the prague situation developing? i don't it think the market is big enough for three pro clubs at this level. who is going to prevail? will lev became sparta and play under that name in khl ?

what would then happen to slavia?

Does anyone have spectator numbers of the last 3 years for Slavia and Sparta? Last time I checked I think both Sparta and Slavia even had more spectators despite having Lev as competition.

Vicente

Jun 6, 2012
Cologne
Move the world championship to june and you'll have to play it without Sweden. Noone will care about it here.

Haha. You absolutely made my day. The last two World Cups have shown that IIHF and the other nations are better off without Sweden. Nobody at all in Sweden cares about World Cups... so why is it a problem if no Swede watches the tournament?!

And regarding June: so neither in Sweden nor Finland anyone ever follows football WC and EC?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Haha. You absolutely made my day. The last two World Cups have shown that IIHF and the other nations are better off without Sweden. Nobody at all in Sweden cares about World Cups... so why is it a problem if no Swede watches the tournament?!

And regarding June: so neither in Sweden nor Finland anyone ever follows football WC and EC?

I think you misunderstood something completely.

Vicente

Jun 6, 2012
Cologne
I think you misunderstood something completely.

I don't think so. You guys wrote that in Sweden and Finland nobody cares about hockey in June and that you guys rather have a nice calm vacation.

My answer was: who cares about Sweden for example?! They have shown more than once that they are not interested in international hockey anyway -> only games of Team Sweden.

And why should it be of relevance for KHL/IIHF if there is a contract between SM-liiga and the players of SM-liiga not to have SM-liiga games in June? Neither Sweden nor Finland are part of KHL nor will they ever be - that's what you tell us all the time anyway.

You could have a season in Sweden and Finland starting in October so players have their long vacation anyway.

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012
So from reading some of these threads it appears the KHL has a two part plan in place to free European hockey from the oppression brought on by the evil empire that is the NHL...

Part A: Have KHL crush all other European domestic leagues.

Part B: Have KHL mimic the NHL as closely as possible.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I don't think so. You guys wrote that in Sweden and Finland nobody cares about hockey in June and that you guys rather have a nice calm vacation.

My answer was: who cares about Sweden for example?! They have shown more than once that they are not interested in international hockey anyway -> only games of Team Sweden.

And why should it be of relevance for KHL/IIHF if there is a contract between SM-liiga and the players of SM-liiga not to have SM-liiga games in June? Neither Sweden nor Finland are part of KHL nor will they ever be - that's what you tell us all the time anyway.

You could have a season in Sweden and Finland starting in October so players have their long vacation anyway.

Our hockey season is actually based on the typical work or even school year. Junior leagues especially are built so that it doesn't interfere with school too much. SM-Liiga has always started in around mid-September and ended early-mid April. Running the rinks is also much more expensive in warm weather time of the year, not to mention the quality of ice (In Helsinki there's been much higher than usually in early-mid May, which has shown in the quality of ice at the Worlds).

I meant in my previous posts that what ever gave you the idea not Finland nor Sweden cares about Euro/World Cup?

About Sweden not caring, I thought you knew about the ticket pricing already. :facepalm:

Vicente

Jun 6, 2012
Cologne
About Sweden not caring, I thought you knew about the ticket pricing already. :facepalm:

I know a lot of people in Sweden who told me there is barely any interest currently in the WC games, only the ones of Team Sweden. And I am not even talking about the lousy spectator numbers - which off course are influenced by terrible prices - but also the majority would not even watch the matches on TV. That's what I hear from Swedes themselves... :shakehead

Off course in Finland situation is different. There even 9,000 people come to see games like Latvia vs Germany which is pretty cool. :nod:

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Yes, it would

KHL needs "space" for euro players who dont like living in Russia, so new euro clubs. There is still a lot of high talent all over the world.

Who says that KHL wants to play 82+ games? KHL says it is too much, at the same time 52 is too less.

KHL offered IIHF to change WC´s schedulling. KHL offered euro federations/IIHF a help with negotiations with NHL about PTA. I dont consider that as mistake. If IIHF does not like the offers, it is its choice, the same choice KHL has - to play Gagarin Cup during WC.

I'm sure the IIHF would be willing to negociate a schedule that suits the KHL better, but if the KHL position is basically "move our main event at a time where it suits no one but us so we can add a few regular season games", there is just no intention to negociate in good faith, and thus no point in negociating anything.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I'm sure the IIHF would be willing to negociate a schedule that suits the KHL better, but if the KHL position is basically "move our main event at a time where it suits no one but us so we can add a few regular season games", there is just no intention to negociate in good faith, and thus no point in negociating anything.

OG are played in February - do you have problem with schedulling? If not, why the WC in Feb is problem? No, dont repeat dogma "NHL will not participate". You dont know what is NHL´s attitude towards this. According to my info, NHL would have no problem with it, if IIHF wanted to negotiate.

Last edited:

Vicente

Jun 6, 2012
Cologne
I still like my own idea ( what a suprise :laugh: ) the most. Just let the EHT become history and have a 64 game schedule. It's the perfect middle in my honest opinion between 52 (DEL and other European leagues) and 82 (NHL). WC still could be played in May and everyone would be happy.

Don't you tell me anyone but the sponsors of each tournament would miss the Euro Hockey Tour with all their heart.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Tretyak said that some IIHF club tournament (Challenge Cup or Champions League) will be held since 14/15 - 48 teams/12 groups/games during EHT breaks (NT will play EHT) and KHL will have to create its calendar to be able to play this "tourney". He said example - swedes will send 4 teams, Russia 2 or 3.
http://rsport.ru/hockey/20130518/662768600.html

Now, tell me what the hell is Tretyak doing? Is he advocate of russian hockey or not?

Another reason to separate KHL and FHR. This moron can not dictate KHL what to do. I am not talking about this topic, but many others.

Last edited:

Vicente

Jun 6, 2012
Cologne
Tretyak said that some IIHF club tournament (Challenge Cup or Champions League) will be held since 14/15 - 48 teams/12 groups/games during EHT breaks (NT will play EHT) and KHL will have to create its calendar to be able to play this "tourney". He said example - swedes will send 4 teams, Russia 2 or 3.

Not, tell me what the hell is Tretyak doing? Is he advocate of russian hockey or not?

Another reason to separate KHL and FHR. This moron can not dictate KHL what to do. I am not talking about this topic, but many others.

Incredibly stupid idea. There should be always a maximum of 16-24 teams in a hockey champions league as there are not enough teams at the same level (not even in football champions league 48 teams would work).

4 groups with 4 teams each = 6 games in group stage, then quarterfinals for the two best of each grup in 2 games, semifinals in 2 games and IMHO it would be really cool to have a single game as European champions league final on neutral soil hehe. Like Dynamo Moscow vs. EV Zug in Berlin's O2 World.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga

Not, tell me what the hell is Tretyak doing? Is he advocate of russian hockey or not?

The sooner the seperation of khl and rhf happens,the better.

marquinhos

Jul 1, 2012
Kazan
This is the answer Tretiak. In the Russian Federation has already started the conflict between FHR and KHL. If you can use a translator, I think that you will be able to understand the essence of the situation. Tretiak don't want to lose power, while all hockey fans and journalists hate him.

This is called Agony. FHR is on fire, and now she they don't know what to do. So much so, that even senior journalists called Tretiak enemy of the Russian hockey. Vice-President KHL publicly wrote that Tretiak - is a complete a**hole! That somehow.

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund

Noone will care about a best on best tournament without Sweden. The competition would be seen as a joke without one of the constant top 4 countries. You can't remove either of Canada, Russia, Sweden, or Finland.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Remember these words

Shalaev - vicepresident of KHL

EDIT:
Minimum 60 games in regulars, ideal 70-72

NHL offered break in February every year during Summit in Toronto

Last edited:

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Noone will care about a best on best tournament without Sweden. The competition would be seen as a joke without one of the constant top 4 countries. You can't remove either of Canada, Russia, Sweden, or Finland.

1.It`s not and never has been a best on best tournament
2,It`s already viewed as a joke,so it doesnt really change anything :laugh:

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Remember these words

Shalaev - vicepresident of KHL

EDIT:
Minimum 60 games in regulars, ideal 70-72

NHL offered break in February every year during Summit in Toronto

Yep,i agree with this guy completley,increasing games would be good not only for russian nt players but for all nationality players that play in KHL (swedes,latvian,czechs,slovaks,finns etc.)

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
My point was that if Sweden left/was removed, this would not have higher status than EHT.

So? Nobody cares about WC anyway these days,even in Europe,4-5 years earlier there was different atmosphere so to speak around the tournament,now its just tourney every half serious player tries to avoid comming up with lists of excuses,but when Olympics roll around the same player is the first to be found on NT list.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
So? Nobody cares about WC anyway these days,even in Europe,4-5 years earlier there was different atmosphere so to speak around the tournament,now its just tourney every half serious player tries to avoid comming up with lists of excuses,but when Olympics roll around the same player is the first to be found on NT list.

Hyberbole much? Tv ratings speak a different language. Don't confuse game attendances from the past two years with extortionate ticket prices as reduced interest. You did see all those videos from Youtube two years ago when Finland went crazy? ;)

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I dont want why there is discussion about WHC and interest of fans. This thread is dedicated, according to me, to KHL after Sochi Games.

Fasel said that nothing decided about "Challenge Cup (Champions League)", so who knows what Tretyak was saying about. Fasel confrimed, KHL will be main IIHF´s partner which will help to form this new competition.

Last edited:

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
I dont want why there is discussion about WHC and interest of fans. This thread is dedicated, according to me, to KHL after Sochi Games.

Fasel said that nothing decided about "Challenge Cup (Champions League)", so who knows what Tretyak was saying about. Fasel confrimed, KHL will be main IIHF´s partner which will help to form this new competition.

KHL doesnt need this stupid Challenge cup,what profit does it bring to KHL?Stupid idea,hope they cancel it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad