KHL 2015-2016 General Discussion

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Was there a KHL draft last summer? I haven't seen any information about one taking place..

How about this coming summer? Is one planned?

Now it is called "Junior Fair" and those who has no contract with a home club are only ones who can be drafted.
I think it is good decision cause before clubs were demotivated to invest into hockey schools

I browsed through last weeks edition of Finnish sports publication Urheilusanomat and there was a brief mention of the KHL draft in the KHL news box. It said there's been talks of getting rid of it as many people/clubs don't see a point in having one. IIRC, the KHL's stance was that it will be held this year but probably not after that. I think it would also focus only on Russian juniors, not foreign as well.

Salavat Yulaev

Jul 20, 2013
Almaty
I browsed through last weeks edition of Finnish sports publication Urheilusanomat and there was a brief mention of the KHL draft in the KHL news box. It said there's been talks of getting rid of it as many people/clubs don't see a point in having one. IIRC, the KHL's stance was that it will be held this year but probably not after that. I think it would also focus only on Russian juniors, not foreign as well.

Well some clubs that have no KHL team but have a strong school are interested in draft.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Ak Bars vs Salavat Yulaev: Both from Turkic republics in Russia. Proximity and success are the major parts in my opinion. And there is this, "We are the kings of this region!" thing.
It's definitely the biggest rivalry in the KHL and possibly the only one I'd call a true derby.
- Two first Gagarin Cup champions;
- Heavy contenders every season;
- Tatarstan vs Bashkiria;
- Zinovjev factor;
- Svitov factor;
- clashed with each other almost every playoffs.

Avangard used to have a hell of a rivalry with Ak Bars too, it calmed down a bit in the recent years. Obviously, Avangard-Vityaz was fiercer than anything else when Vityaz was icing their goon squad.

CSKA-SKA was pretty weak for some time too (before CSKA rose back to power), but it's coming back with 3 PO series already since 2012.
Same for the Moscow derbys, they lost their steam with little fan interest, but it can come back now.
Kuznya and Sibir have a mutual respect and mostly cheer for each other.

If you listen to their fans, Jokerit has a huge derby with all Russian teams and refs :sarcasm:

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
There are basically two parties in the KHL - one wants to shut the draft down for reasons quite obvious:
- we raise the players, put forth an effort and you poach the ones we can't protect/sign for comparable money
other:
- we don't want to spend for quality dorms, ice time, coaches, inventory for kids - where 1 out of a 100 at best becomes a KHL player, we'd rather take our chances on unprotected/unsigned/disgruntled juniors.

Come to think of it:
CSKA, Ak Bars (to a degree, as they poach kids all over the country Togliati being the biggest victim), Traktor, Magnitka (also a lot of kids poaching around Ural area), Lokomotiv, Avto, Dinamo develop decent players. Torpedo has put themselves on the map a little bit and Severstal does come up some quality players, but they can never keep them.
Khimik and Lada schools have been ravaged, Atlant started producing some players (mostly poached through draft), but since the KHL team ceased to exist - I don't expect anything coming out of there. Tyumen is poached on kids level by neighbors - since they don't have a KHL team. Vityaz' is producing some players - but I don't understand the connection between them and their youth teams clearly.

Ska and Salavat are building their youth up, but there are not too many players of quality coming out of there yet.

Then there's a whole bunch of teams having no history and no youth development - for them draft is a chance to snag something, even if to stock an MHL team.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Here is a poll on which city shall host the 2017 All-Star Game,

http://en.khl.ru/news/2016/03/29/253461.html

Very nice of KHL to blend fans into this. Tolyatti is definitely out of question for me, why would you hold an All-Star event in a city like that? Vladivostok is cool but will have to wait... My pick is Ufa over Astana, simply because they are more like a "hockey city" and have a great arena & atmosphere in general.

At the moment, Ufa is leading with %46 before Astana at %43. Then comes Vladivostok with %7 followed by Tolyatti at %5. I know this makes %101 but these are the figures on KHL website.

Last edited:

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Dont know where to write it, so I will put it here.

TASS published some stats of KHL TV coverage on russian regional broadcasters for 15/16 season.

- total number of people watching KHL in russian regional broadcasters was 13,29M what is 1,17M more than 14/15 season.
- average share (Men 25-59) growed from 4,8% to 5,9% and average rating from 1,6% to 2,0%
- HC Sibir (total 1,940M), Avangard (1,873M), Salavat Yulaev (1,647M) are top 3 clubs

How are these numbers compare to other euro hockey leagues or russian football league? I dont want to compare it to NHL because russian sport tv market is not so developed as US/CAN.

KHL had problems with low ratings on federal tv before Chernyshenko came, dont know about regional ratings. Match TV, new federal sport channel, increased numbers from previous season (on Rossiya2), some numbers are at KHL or russian hockey websites.

EDIT:
Novosibirsk has population of 1 584 138 (whole region 2 762 237)
Omsk has population of 1 178 100 (whole region 1 978 466)
Ufa has population of 1 105 667 (whole region 4 071 064)

Last edited:

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
KHL will share 204M rubles with clubs for 15/16 season, league shared 114M rubles for 14/15.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
KHL will share 204M rubles with clubs for 15/16 season, league shared 114M rubles for 14/15.

vorky, did KHL release anything about TV exposure in countries or anything like that? I would especially like to know how many people are interested in this league in Ukraine. For example, how many people watch in Latvia, Estonia, Belarus, Germany etc... I hope they have the numbers for that. However, I highly doubt Ukraine is one of the leaders in this list. The government banned KHL TV some time ago. I guess I will never be able to watch a KHL game on TV in this world. :laugh:

Milos Krasic

Best Serbian Footballer (2009) / Serie A Winner
Jul 1, 2008
Hockey is a very niche sport in Estonia. I can't imagine they get much viewership.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
vorky, did KHL release anything about TV exposure in countries or anything like that? I would especially like to know how many people are interested in this league in Ukraine. For example, how many people watch in Latvia, Estonia, Belarus, Germany etc... I hope they have the numbers for that. However, I highly doubt Ukraine is one of the leaders in this list. The government banned KHL TV some time ago. I guess I will never be able to watch a KHL game on TV in this world. :laugh:

If I know KHL does not publish such info, I guess they have such info in KHL office. TASS rarely publish some tv ratings from MatchTV (russian federal sport channel) and regional russian broadcasters. I wrote about it in other threads if you want to look at it. KHL had low ratings in Medvedev era (one reason for that is a fact that matches on Rossiya2 were broadcasted in midnight, not in prime time). Under Chernyshenko ratings has increased in federal tv (MatchTV who replaced Rossiya 2) and regional tvs.

If you want to look at ratings/share of russian federal channels per week, especially MatchTV, visit this site. There is a list of top10 programmes/shows per week for every channel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad