khan : hronek flourishing

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
Watching Maltby play, I always wondered what he was saying to guys on the ice that got them so pissed off at him.
One minute Malts is just saking around minding his own business and the next some guy is giving him a stink glove.
I've noticed the same thing with Hronek. Watching him play he just seems to go about his business but every chance another team gets thay are at him.

Now I'm wondering not what Maltby is saying but what is Hronek saying to piss these guys off.
And just like Malts, I love Hronek.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Watching Maltby play, I always wondered what he was saying to guys on the ice that got them so pissed off at him.
One minute Malts is just saking around minding his own business and the next some guy is giving him a stink glove.
I've noticed the same thing with Hronek. Watching him play he just seems to go about his business but every chance another team gets thay are at him.

Now I'm wondering not what Maltby is saying but what is Hronek saying to piss these guys off.
And just like Malts, I love Hronek.

Hronek is pretty vicious with his stick, same thing that got Zetterberg attacked a lot. He is good at not getting caught, but he whacks guys a lot and often right where they don't have pads.

Really pleased at where his game is and trending. I think he takes another big step next year as well.

nhlisawesome

Oct 26, 2019
I wonder if Hronek and Seider can be a legit top pairing in 3 seasons. That should be right around when we're decent again if we get a goaltender and some more good forwards via draft/trade/free agency. Seider will probably never score more than 5 goals in an NHL season but from the hype I've gathered, he is legit defensively? So is he like a Chris Tanev type? All D no offence?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I wonder if Hronek and Seider can be a legit top pairing in 3 seasons. That should be right around when we're decent again if we get a goaltender and some more good forwards via draft/trade/free agency. Seider will probably never score more than 5 goals in an NHL season but from the hype I've gathered, he is legit defensively? So is he like a Chris Tanev type? All D no offence?

They have deployed Seider at times on the left, but I doubt we go with two right handed guys on the same pair. I think they will each anchor their own pair. If we could somehow land Krug, you put him with Seider and eventually hopefully go with McIsaac/Cholowski paired with Hronek is my hope.

Honestly if we wind up with Drysdale I could see Hronek being trade bait for a massive return. But we will have to see how this thing evolves. Both Seider and Hronek are doing their part to make us feel solid about the right side. Lindstrom/Tuomisto allow us to think we have something tracking on the third pair. But it is hard to project too far out with younger players, especially D-man.

Reactions: nhlisawesome

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
He has good offensive instincts and can make some pretty good passes. He also has a very good wrist shot. He has a lot of untapped potential and it is too early to say he will be a Tanev type D. He is very, very physical and has near elite skating. In a few years he will likely be one of the hardest players to play against in the league.

nhlisawesome

Oct 26, 2019
Well said TZE, and Tetsuo I hope you're right about Seider having a good wrister and offensive instincts. He's a big boy, they should also be getting him to develop a heavy slapper.

Reactions: Tetsuo

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
Well said TZE, and Tetsuo I hope you're right about Seider having a good wrister and offensive instincts. He's a big boy, they should also be getting him to develop a heavy slapper.
Slapshots are becoming less and less used in the NHL, and having a good, hard, accurate wrister is much more valuable imo. That said, having an additional weapon will certainly make his life easier if he wants to see consistent PP time in the NHL. I also have to agree with TZE, if we draft Drsydale we could wind up trading Hronek for a haul. And that is not knock on Hronek at all, he is a fantastic player for his age but Drysdale has huge potential and is absolutely worth considering with the 4th or 5th pick.

Reactions: gbdet

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I think hes becoming a number one dman.. might not be a crazy defensive shut down type but a guy that can be the number one guy on a solid playoff team. Different style of player kinda but something like a Morgan Reilly. Hes not a Doughty/Hedman type franchise dman but your team can win with thatt ype of player as your top dog potentially. Its not that surprising, he was the top ranked dman out of Europe in his draft year.

Hronek is Detroits best player

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think hes becoming a number one dman.. might not be a crazy defensive shut down type but a guy that can be the number one guy on a solid playoff team. Different style of player kinda but something like a Morgan Reilly. Hes not a Doughty/Hedman type franchise dman but your team can win with thatt ype of player as your top dog potentially. Its not that surprising, he was the top ranked dman out of Europe in his draft year.

Hronek is Detroits best player

I don't think he is better than Larkin or long-term better than Mantha. But he is a very good player, absolutely core.

Reactions: KJoe88 and Oddbob

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I don't think he is better than Larkin or long-term better than Mantha. But he is a very good player, absolutely core.

Think the same. And Seider will pass him pretty soon.

At least Right side of defence is in a good shape. The hardest to built.

Seider and Hronek also seem to mix perfect together in different roles/pairs. Seider will be the 1st pair shut-down + 2nd PP guy. Hronek will be the 2nd pair + maybe 1st PP guy. At least from our core, if any outside UFA does not come in.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Between him and Seider we just need one more top LD defenseman to have a really good D core for the future. Hopefully the 2021 draft, if we don’t get Raty, I’m hopeful for Hughes or Power.

a trade for werenski or signing krug would also be nice

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
to me the majority underrate the worth of dmen because they obviously score way fewer points than top forwards . but defending against top opponant forwards while also having to handle the puck in their own end UNDER EXTREME HEAVY PRESSURE in todays fast skating nhl is of extreme importance and if your d guys dont have the quick minds and sofdt hands to do so your nets a bomb site ! theres really no way to compare a dmans worth to a forwards with stats and the higher point totals get all the glitz and glory but to me hroneks worth just as much as the 3 guys on the gunsmoke line . also look around the nhl and you can replace forwards but tell me how easily your gonna replace hronek ?

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Between him and Seider we just need one more top LD defenseman to have a really good D core for the future. Hopefully the 2021 draft, if we don’t get Raty, I’m hopeful for Hughes or Power.

a trade for werenski or signing krug would also be nice
Man, I would LOVE to get Werenski. Werenski, Hronek and Seider would be absolutely filthy as a top 3.

Reactions: ArmChairGM89

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
They have deployed Seider at times on the left, but I doubt we go with two right handed guys on the same pair. I think they will each anchor their own pair. If we could somehow land Krug, you put him with Seider and eventually hopefully go with McIsaac/Cholowski paired with Hronek is my hope.

Honestly if we wind up with Drysdale I could see Hronek being trade bait for a massive return. But we will have to see how this thing evolves. Both Seider and Hronek are doing their part to make us feel solid about the right side. Lindstrom/Tuomisto allow us to think we have something tracking on the third pair. But it is hard to project too far out with younger players, especially D-man.

Just my own personal preference but with Lafreniere/Byfield as the obvious top 2, I think Stutzle and Raymond emerged from the WJCs as the next tier.

Even if Drysdale were the guy at 3 or 4 and we were picking there, I think Yzerman probably moves slightly down.

Also, I like the Krug/Seider pairing, but I'd think DeKeyser would be the guy with Hronek for the time being. People forget, he's actually pretty good as a 2nd pairing guy. He just was in over his head with first pairing responsibilities.

Hopefully Seider/Hronek is a Lidstrom/Kronwall sort of thing. I'm not comparing Seider to Lidstrom, just the sense that Seider/Lidstrom would have top defensive responsibilities and while Hronek/Kronwall have what it takes to be a top pairing guy, they have the luxury of getting 2nd pairing matchups.

J15

Mar 18, 2009

Trade bait for what? What could we possibly need more than a young top pairing D-man about to enter his prime? Trading Hronek because we drafted Drysdale would be infuriating.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Trade bait for what? What could we possibly need more than a young top pairing D-man about to enter his prime? Trading Hronek because we drafted Drysdale would be infuriating.

My opinion is Seider will be our top pairing dman in front of Hronek which is a strength. If we did take Drysdale he would be ready at some point to make him or Hronek available for a big return.

We don't have to go that route, we might not. Just if they believe Drysdale is the best player on the board you take him and it means we could potentially deal from a position of strength. Like how the Avs leveraged Barrie into Kadri for instance.

It's about options. I would prefer a forward but Drysdale is a pretty special player. I get it if we draft him.

Reactions: Tetsuo

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
It wouldn't be right away. It would be after a few years of development because Drysdale will in all likelihood need some time to develop. But echoing TZE again, if you have 3 top 4 RD, someone will have to either play out of position or someone will have to move. Maybe (in this hypothetical situation) Seider plateaus as a number 3/4 shut down defensemen and we end up moving him. That said, more likely than not we draft one of the top end Wingers this year, so I wouldn't get too worried!

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
If I had a buck for every time I wanted to slap someone around these parts this past summer for saying Bertuzzi was anything less than an unequivocal top sixer or that we needed to trade for more defense talent cause we didn’t haven anyone who looked capable of playing on the top pair, I’d be rolling in it. Hronek had filthy top pairing defenseman written all over him going back to the A but by like 20 games into last year, it was obvious he was capable of doing things only elite defenseman do.

Not to mention, his AHL stats for his age were comparatively ridiculous as well. And his first NA year, he required almost no adjustment time. The kid is just smart.

I wish I still had the write-up I made on his stats and averages last year, but basically the stats make the easy argument that he’s the best defenseman we’ve had since Lidstrom. No, we haven’t had much to compare him to, but it’s worth noting that he’s already putting Nicklas Kronwall to shame.

He can be our Duncan Keith. We can win it all with him.

Reactions: NickH8 and Lil Bert

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad