Kevyn Adams - New GM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Eakin hasn't showed he is capable of playing the kind of role LOG has, so if he is replacing Larsson the role is different.
The whole structure of the lineup is different now, particularly with the addition of Staal as a 2C. Completely changes line match ups for us and our opponent. We were forced to play a shell game which Larry was very good at.

Reactions: BananaSquad

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I don't understand the sentiment that we have to hang on to certain players like VO or Reinhart. I couldn't care less as long as we end up with a better team. I think it will be part of the process just as trading guys like Sammy Watkins and Ronald Darby was part of the Bills process. Adams talked about the Sabres having good players but he didn't like the mix. You can't change the mix if you don't change the players. I don't think we can make progress if we only trade players we want to get rid of.

Last edited:

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
I don't understand the sentiment that we have to hang on to certain players like VO or Reinhart. I couldn't care less if we end up with a better team. I think it will be part of the process just as trading guys like Sammy Watkins and Ronald Darby was part of the Bills process. Adams talked about the Sabres having good players but he didn't like the mix. You can't change the mix if you don't change the players. I don't think we can make progress if we only trade players we want to get rid of.

Ok, calling VO similar to sammy watkins or dareus is a bit irresponsible..He busted his a off to arrive last year.. Hes more than one dimensional.. Reinhart has played w more grit and does such subtle things.. To not see them at least half the year w a good team on their proper matchups..

We would be stupid to part w either and Sam will capitulate on a contract well under Hall 8m. Unless you all know he's a problem.. I see these guys maturing and now playing w eric staal and hall.. I see no bs under Krueger..what a great situation for dahlin to be around.. Reminds me of signing Dale H or Mogilny..

Great adds for us but mainly the right situation around eichel anf crew fir staal , hall and eakin to rejuvenate their careers.. With cozens mitts our 8 and tage knocking on the doors w the grit and example of lazar to surpass .

Reactions: brian_griffin

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Very gutsy of Adams to put the Sabres free agency on the line for what the overwhelming majority would consider a long shot. The Staal trade was a gutsy move too. It shows that Adams has a lot of confidence and believes in his plan. That "we will succeed" attitude filters down the line. Let's face it, if Botterill has made the Staal trade, it's a situation where Eric would be filing retirement papers.

Grinder44

Jun 6, 2006
Los Angeles
Eakin has put up over 20 pts 6 times, over 30 pts 4 times. Larsson has never cracked 20 pts. Two very different players. I think Larry's replacement is Lazar/Asplund. Eakin brings the possibility of some offensive production to the third line from the center position. That's something a little different than what Larsson brought.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
If the next move he makes is trading Risto for something of value/need will everyone change their tune on him?
That would definitely go a long way, but I don't think it would shift anyone completely from one side of the spectrum to the other.

So far we've seen Adams make some nice moves, and some not as nice ones (which of course is only opinion). The Larsson vs eakin thing, for some, is an indication that he is far from perfect in identifying good depth players, which leaves uncertainty as to the quality of future moves.

To this point his best moves have been Staal and hall, two guys with personal connections to our coach and GM. It's great we could land those 2, but getting 2 guys with personal connections and who have been universally known around the league as great players doesn't do much to prove they have a good system of talent evaluation.

I hope this makes sense. I'm going to try to cut the jokes and snark because I know the board is split on this, but I think there are rational arguments for why people aren't crazy about Adams, and its not negativity just to be different, it's not wanting to be able to use the Sabres as a punchline, its just pointing out that some of what the Sabres have done suggest Adams has some flaws.

Unfortunately it's months away, but I think seeing guys like rieder and eakin be effective will ultimately be what sells people on adams

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
That makes sense, but i think the hall thing is hoping that he’ll like playing with eichel then signing him long term.

The 1 year benefits us too, as someone pointed out to me earlier. If whatever success we have is like the last 2 years (exactly 1 10-game run each), then we aren't anchored. Also, we can dodge protecting him in the expansion draft.

1 year was solid.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
The 1 year benefits us too, as someone pointed out to me earlier. If whatever success we have is like the last 2 years (exactly 1 10-game run each), then we aren't anchored. Also, we can dodge protecting him in the expansion draft.

1 year was solid.
Yep exactly, didn’t give up assets for him. So if it works out and he wants to stay, great, if not then it’s not like they lost assets for him

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
The Krueger affect was real.

And I realize how miserable some of my arguments sound, I'm not trying to be a buzzkill I just wish we could discuss things past a reaction on whatever the most recent move is, good or bad. (Not speaking to you specifically Josh.)

I'm a little confused at how suddenly Adams is perceived as great for this move. Its a no-brainer on the Sabres side of things, the question was always whether or not Hall would want to come here. Its certainly a signing that improves the team but Adams didn't really have to do anything, other than offer it which is him just doing his job and not being negligent.

The team is undeniably in a better place from signing, which is the GMs job, but I'm not sure how much credit he personally deserves for offering the contract. Again, I'm really not trying to be negative just to be "that guy" but I don't know if this changes my opinion of Adams.

I think by now its become abundantly clear that the flat management team they talked about is very real. Krueger is effectively the co-GM. His fingerprints are all over many of the guys we’ve brought in.

For better or worse they are going to build a type of team that Krueger wants. Its why a guy like Eakins gets brought in for his character, leadership and playoff experience. Not trying to sell you on his signing but explaining why I think it happened. Kreuger has repeatedly talked about needing more leadership, more vets with a winning experience, etc.

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Eakin is REPLACING Larsson. Done.
There is not another move. Adams said he likes Eakin’s compete and he plays the game the right way. Who knows what Larsson was like off the ice or in the dressing room. Larsson was an average skater at best and provided very little offence. I’ll take my chances with Eakin. I agree 100 percent on a goalie.

The issue is historically Eakin gets out-shot/out-chanced, even in an offensive slanted deployment. It certainly isn’t the same role because at the end of the day he has been on the ice for more given up than Larsson, while Eakin has been on considerably better teams. If Eakin plays how he usually does, that is not an improvement.

Do you want the guy with better counting stats who gave up more than his points in GA or the guy with lesser counting stats who was a net positive even in ridiculous use?

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Ok, calling VO similar to sammy watkins or dareus is a bit irresponsible..He busted his a off to arrive last year.. Hes more than one dimensional.. Reinhart has played w more grit and does such subtle things.. To not see them at least half the year w a good team on their proper matchups..

We would be stupid to part w either and Sam will capitulate on a contract well under Hall 8m. Unless you all know he's a problem.. I see these guys maturing and now playing w eric staal and hall.. I see no bs under Krueger..what a great situation for dahlin to be around.. Reminds me of signing Dale H or Mogilny..

Great adds for us but mainly the right situation around eichel anf crew fir staal , hall and eakin to rejuvenate their careers.. With cozens mitts our 8 and tage knocking on the doors w the grit and example of lazar to surpass .

Please don't ever mention Reinhart and "grit" in the same sentence.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I've heard multiple Bills cultural phrases "Humble and Hungry" etc. Definitely some cross staff pollination

Based on the Tim Graham article on how the Bills' department "didn't want the Sabres to mess them up", that's a happy change.

Botterill / the Hockey Canada influence had to go. They steered us wrong too many years.

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Based on the Tim Graham article on how the Bills' department "didn't want the Sabres to mess them up", that's a happy change.

Botterill / the Hockey Canada influence had to go. They steered us wrong too many years.
Do you mind sending that to me or posting it. Not familiar. Thanks.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad