Kevyn Adams GM thread

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
While fans and some media seem fixated on the idea of a Pres of Hockey Ops, I doubt it as long as the Pegulas want to remain more hands on owners.
Which I don't think is necessarily a bad thing.

Its just another layer, which would be hired by..... the pegulas. We'll hopefully see shortly that the presence of that position/title isn't really necessary to win

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
If not done now, there are (3) alternatives.
1) Extend him in the 2023 offseason.
2) Release him in the 2023 offseason.
3) Fire him now (or between now and the 2023 offseason).

#2, #3 require Karmanos or another person to take the helm. That assumes a better alternative is available, and, the transition will not be a 1-step forward / 2-steps back outcome.

Extending Adams contract supports your oft-stated desire for Pegulas to reduce or stop meddling in hockey decisions / operations. Why not be happy? Or are you trying to have it both ways?

Eh my initial thought was an over reaction now that I've had some time to think about it. He hasn't earned any extension by any means, but the other options aren't really great either. Having him in a walk year doesn't make sense, he isn't getting fired even if the team regresses. However, the one point you are wrong about is him being here is the Pegula's having full control of the team. he's an extension of them, not someone operating with any sort of independence or freedom. He keeps to his pre set budget and doesn't do a damn thing without his bosses approval.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
He keeps to his pre set budget and doesn't do a damn thing without his bosses approval.

You keep saying that without an iota of proof that the Pegulas are enforcing a budget.

I think the only budgetary "restriction" that the Pegulas have placed on KA is "as long as the money makes sense". Building back the scouting department, implementing and building the analytics department.....all things that take money.

If there really was a budget in place......there's no way that the deal with Ottawa for Murray/#7 gets to where it did.

I know you (in particular) are very harsh as regards spending and can't fathom why the Sabres aren't spending more when they clearly have the cap space. The explanation is easy, but you don't accept it: The organization from top down has decided to let the kids learn on the job. They don't want expensive FAs coming in here and taking playing time from the kids. Playing kids naturally keeps costs down. I doubt the Pegulas are upset with being a cap floor team again........but there is literally zero proof that there's an edict from on high to be a cap floor team. It's just the way it works when any team chooses to play kids.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Like I said in my post, if these prospects don't turn out, that's on the coaches.

I think that's a huge overstatement. For a prospect to really hit, a LOT of things need to coalesce: Coaching, talent, desire, hard work, lack of injury, etc.

We have an enticing prospect pool, for sure. But not all of them are going to hit. Some will bust. Some will underperform. And that isn't necessarily on the coaching. The prospects themselves still have a LOT to "say" about what kind of player they wind up being.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
He keeps to his pre set budget and doesn't do a damn thing without his bosses approval.
Every NHL GM gets a budget from ownership to operate within and every GM has to run a large amount of stuff, and all major deals, through ownership.

That is not unique to Adams, the Pegulas, and the Sabres.

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
You keep saying that without an iota of proof that the Pegulas are enforcing a budget.

I think the only budgetary "restriction" that the Pegulas have placed on KA is "as long as the money makes sense". Building back the scouting department, implementing and building the analytics department.....all things that take money.

If there really was a budget in place......there's no way that the deal with Ottawa for Murray/#7 gets to where it did.

I know you (in particular) are very harsh as regards spending and can't fathom why the Sabres aren't spending more when they clearly have the cap space. The explanation is easy, but you don't accept it: The organization from top down has decided to let the kids learn on the job. They don't want expensive FAs coming in here and taking playing time from the kids. Playing kids naturally keeps costs down. I doubt the Pegulas are upset with being a cap floor team again........but there is literally zero proof that there's an edict from on high to be a cap floor team. It's just the way it works when any team chooses to play kids.

I mean, you obviously have the same amount of 'proof' i do in terms of who sets the sabres budget.

No one here sits in with the ownership and GM about setting budget expectations.

However, the moves they did make scream that they are facing budgetary restrictions.

Going back to the Eichel trade....why not take more salary back to make the deal work when you have to get above the cap floor? Instead Buffalo went the cheapest way (cash wise) and picked up Boychuk's LTIR deal to get to the floor.

This year, why pick up Bishop if you weren't planning spending as little as possible.

As for the Murray deal, we have little to know about the particulars of that deal. If there was retention + a body going to Ottawa. Maybe we buyout Bjork (Saves 1.2M), don't sign Hino (1.7M) (2.9) and we get 30% retention on Murray, we are spending about the same as we are with those bodies.

The evidence that our budget is "spend as little as possible" is evidenced in that they are spending as little as possible.

Adams razed the front office down to a handful of people. Per the Sabres own website, the Sabres front office had a headcount of 29 before Adams was brought in. He took it down to 13. It now stands (including Analytics) 22. So, overall, even with adding a whole new department, the headcount for the front office is 30% lower.

Why would Adams choose to build a team and self limit the budget?

he was brought in the spend as little as possible. It was in the 1st press conference with Terry and Kim. Economic, Efficient, effective. And since that presser they have been spending at or below the cap floor every season. With a reduced front office.

Of course the Pegula's are setting the budget. it's their money. Kevyn is just the guy in charge of enforcing it.

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Every NHL GM gets a budget from ownership to operate within and every GM has to run a large amount of stuff, and all major deals, through ownership.

That is not unique to Adams, the Pegulas, and the Sabres.

But have all owners claimed very publicly there would be no 'financial restrictions" on the front office only to come back and slap the strictest financial handcuffs on the team later?

That's the very real betrayal of the Pegulas to Sabres fans. And to add insult to injury Kevyn will swear on a bible there's no budget restrictions on the Sabres while cutting the team gatorade cooler with crystal lite and suiting up as Sabretooth between periods.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
The evidence that our budget is "spend as little as possible" is evidenced in that they are spending as little as possible.

Why would Adams choose to build a team and self limit the budget?

Because we're playing kids. The organization has made a conscious, concerted decision to let the kids play......supplemented by a handful of solid veterans (Tuch, Skinner, Okie, Girgs).

There is most certainly an argument to be made for not paying a better goalie. That's been conceded 1000x over.

But playing as many kids as we are........in its nature is inexpensive.

I think you're thinking "We're playing kids because we're cheap" whereas I think the reality of the situation is more "We're inexpensive because we're choosing to play kids".

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
But have all owners claimed very publicly there would be no 'financial restrictions" on the front office only to come back and slap the strictest financial handcuffs on the team later?

That's the very real betrayal of the Pegulas to Sabres fans. And to add insult to injury Kevyn will swear on a bible there's no budget restrictions on the Sabres while cutting the team gatorade cooler with crystal lite and suiting up as Sabretooth between periods.

You're absolutely blinded by hate towards the Pegula and by extension KA. If there was real restrictions on KA's budget.............there is ZERO way that goes unreported/unleaked by someone in the organization. Even our shitass media could sniff out that story a mile away. There are NO reports out there IN ANY WAY that KA's budget is restricted.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

I don't see what any of that has to do with Kevyn Adams and his ability as an NHL GM.

A GM covering for the owners seems par for the course. Name a GM entering his 3rd season ever as an NHL GM that would openly call their owners liars.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
You're absolutely blinded by hate towards the Pegula and by extension KA. If there was real restrictions on KA's budget.............there is ZERO way that goes unreported/unleaked by someone in the organization. Even our shitass media could sniff out that story a mile away. There are NO reports out there IN ANY WAY that KA's budget is restricted.
Since you brought up the media, that is indeed proof the Pegulas / Sabres have not gone as scorched-earth cheap as possible as some may believe.
To wit:
1. Media still provided chairs for press conferences. (Sabres could have sold them, or donated them and taken the deduction, and make the media stand.)
2. Paul Hamilton offered healthier food choices.
3. John Wawrow retains access to the visitor's locker room showers, receives an occasional pair of fresh socks, and the arena staff launders his bathrobe upon request..

edit: my apologies to @Dingo44, I was composing my reply concurrent with yours.

Reactions: Dingo44

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

Huh? The evidence the Sabres are on a budget are clear as day. It's not really a secret. From the owners mouth himself:

“I mentioned three words,” Sabres owner Terry Pegula said. “Effective, efficient, economic.”

Since then we have spent below the cap floor, using LTIR loop hole contracts to enable spending below the CBA mandated minimum. We have reduced our front office headcount 30%. What do you need to see, a signed memo "Hey Kev, don't spend more than X" to know our budget is 'as little as possible'. It's clear as day we are a budget team.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Did we all just block out the fact that other teams cut their front office staff and restricted budgets during the pandemic? Buffalo just happened to be one of the first organizations to do it, so we're the poster child of cheapskate franchises.

I think the dip in salary spending has more to do with the fact that we have a bunch of young guys, we're rebuilding again, and a lot of our deadweight was coming off the books in the last two years. Eventually, KA is going to make a solid argument to start spending again, especially when our key players are up for contract extensions.

I want to somehow incorporate the stall in the salary cap rising into this, but i am not smart enough to find the correlation.

Reactions: Zman5778

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Because we're playing kids. The organization has made a conscious, concerted decision to let the kids play......supplemented by a handful of solid veterans (Tuch, Skinner, Okie, Girgs).

There is most certainly an argument to be made for not paying a better goalie. That's been conceded 1000x over.

But playing as many kids as we are........in its nature is inexpensive.

I think you're thinking "We're playing kids because we're cheap" whereas I think the reality of the situation is more "We're inexpensive because we're choosing to play kids".

Counter point: the Pegulas are cheap. That’s why the kids are playing. They’ll be traded once they are done their ELC.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Counter point: the Pegulas are cheap. That’s why the kids are playing. They’ll be traded once they are done their ELC.
I want to believe your trading the kids comment was sarcasm. I have no doubt that the pegula's are cheap, but i don't think that's the sole reason that we are spending so little.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
All discussions about the Pegulas, Adams, or the Sabres management in general often have me thinking of two very specific gifs. I'll just leave them here for entertainment...

itsalwayssunny-science-sciencebitch-gif-19662450.gif

angry-fan-mlb-baseball-gif-23871407.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad