Kevyn Adams GM thread

Buffalo Norsemen

Mar 7, 2019
Sportsplex
Guessing, 3 more years ?

Hasn't been perfect, but "seems" to learn from mistakes, trust his people for talent evaluation, and have human communication skills (unlike his two predecessors) with the owners, fans, media, and league.

Can he build a playoff team, or make the next big deal, properly develop prospects, get Johnson, Portillo, and Levi to come ? Guess we will see now.

ps I hope they can keep Karmonos around as well, I believe he is a big part of this.

Last edited:

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Multi-year how many years is this?

I'm happy, mostly I like Adams' work.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Guessing, 3 more years ?

Hasn't been perfect, but "seems" to learn from mistakes, trust his people for talent evaluation, and have human communication skills (unlike his two predecessors).

Can he build a playoff team, or make the next big deal, properly develop propsects, get Johnson, Portillo, and Levi to come ? Guess we will see now.
I don’t believe any GM can get Portillo to come when Levi is signing here at the same time.

Reactions: Buffalo Norsemen

Buffalo Norsemen

Mar 7, 2019
Sportsplex
Multi-year how many years is this?

I'm happy, mostly I like Adams' work.
I'm guessing 3 yrs, one of the insiders should have the details (while closing up their cottages this week) by tonight/tomorrow.

I don’t believe any GM can get Portillo to come when Levi is signing here at the same time.
Probably. Lets hope they get a asset for him, same on Johnson if he's playing silly buggers.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
What's the rush?
Does it matter? It's not our money being spent and isn't on the cap. Extend him for 20 year for all I care, it's Terry's money to burn if we need to fire him.

Anyways, well deserved. Has done a really nice job navigating very rocky waters for a guy that had no experience. Things are looking up and Adams is a big part of it, now let's get competitive again.

Reactions: Dingo44

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
I was skeptical of the Adams hire at first, but I've been mostly pleased with the results and am definitely on board to see more. One thing I've really liked is how he heavily he leans on his staff, and they clearly assembled a good staff around him to lean on.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site

Exactly how I feel! Its lowkey amazing what he's done with the organization.

Marino’s Comments are perfect. He was put in an awful situation with no experience and has come out the other side setting the Sabres up for a lot of future success.

Adams really seems like a great fit for the Sabres organization. Local guy who grew up watching the team. Made it to the NHL thru hard work and determination. Worked his way up from the ground floor in the organization, doing any job asked of him and doing it well.

Seems like a really good person who brings people together. He doesn’t have the know it all ego but instead delegates to quality people. Forton’s tearful presser tells you everything about how Adams is thought of by the people in the organization and just how bad things were before.

Bad hires have devastated this organization for a decade (Murray, Housley, Botts, Krueger) Adams picking Granato, bringing in Karmanos, Ventura etc. has really been positive for the overall synergy of the franchise.

No GM is perfect but the job Adams has done with no experience in very difficult times has been tremendous. Well earned.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
Yeah man, the market for Adams experience of......let me check here...."missing the playoffs by 20+ points every season he's been the GM" is sparkling. Real market demand. Good thing the Pegula's got out ahead of it.

We really have no idea what he was getting paid. He could have still been on his old deal for all we know, and just given a title change but everything else stayed the same.

Like others have pointed out, past contracts have fallen off and we no longer have to pay for employees not to work here.

I have seen enough from the prospects to see that he knows what he is doing with drafting.

At this point, if all these players don't work out, then its on the coaches. I would rather have to replace the coaches and keep the guy that was in charge of bring in the raw talent.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
We really have no idea what he was getting paid. He could have still been on his old deal for all we know, and just given a title change but everything else stayed the same.

Like others have pointed out, past contracts have fallen off and we no longer have to pay for employees not to work here.

I have seen enough from the prospects to see that he knows what he is doing with drafting.

At this point, if all these players don't work out, then its on the coaches. I would rather have to replace the coaches and keep the guy that was in charge of bring in the raw talent.

We have seen 3 Adams draft picks play at the NHL level.

Three.

They have played a total of 12 games.

Let's talk about his drafting in 5 years.

In the end, it's the Pegula's cash and it doesn't affect the salary cap, so i guess they can waste it if they want.

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
Yeah man, the market for Adams experience of......let me check here...."missing the playoffs by 20+ points every season he's been the GM" is sparkling. Real market demand. Good thing the Pegula's got out ahead of it.
You can only play the cards you've been dealt, and all things considered I think he's done a good enough job with the disaster he was given that I want to see more.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
We have seen 3 Adams draft picks play at the NHL level.

Three.

They have played a total of 12 games.

Let's talk about his drafting in 5 years.

In the end, it's the Pegula's cash and it doesn't affect the salary cap, so i guess they can waste it if they want.

Exactly. No extension until we make the playoffs. What even is this?

Reactions: Onry

BuffaloSabresSword

May 11, 2011
Guessing, 3 more years ?

Hasn't been perfect, but "seems" to learn from mistakes, trust his people for talent evaluation, and have human communication skills (unlike his two predecessors) with the owners, fans, media, and league.

Can he build a playoff team, or make the next big deal, properly develop prospects, get Johnson, Portillo, and Levi to come ? Guess we will see now.

ps I hope they can keep Karmonos around as well, I believe he is a big part of this.
None is perfect . Adams Done a really good job.
. Looking forward to this But especially the season after this . Think it Will be playoff after this season

Buffalo Norsemen

Mar 7, 2019
Sportsplex
people with power and money have severe trust issues, at least the Pegula's found someone who they can trust who seems to be competent, have basic communication skills, and they stay out of the way now.

hopefully Adams is also allowed to reward his staff. I'm guessing it will be hard to keep Karmonos around long term when other gm jobs pop up.

Last edited:
Reactions: brian_griffin

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Thank you Mr. Kyle Dubas.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Well deserved. If he has done a good job to this point, then it is poor form as an owner to make him go thru a year as a lame duck not knowing. Worse, if you make him wait, you force him to have to focus on this years results instead of a multi year plan. That's how you make mistakes in a rebuild. You will never have a winning organization until you get some continuity. We have been cycling thru GM's and coaches for a decade and the result is exactly what you would expect.

Adams got handed a mess, and as far as I can tell has made very good decisions in hiring, drafting, and cap/contract usage. The owner is a fool if he doesn't double down on the direction this thing is going right now.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
people with power and money have severe trust issues, at least the Pegula's found someone who they can trust who seems to be competent, have basic communication skills, and they stay out of the way now.

hopefully Adams is also allowed to reward his staff. I'm guessing it will be hard to keep Karmonos around long term when other gm jobs pop up.

I think after Tim Murray, Botts, Ralph, Marrone, Whaley, and Rex, they are justified to have some trust issues.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00