Kevyn Adams GM thread

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
I like the extension, I think he's done a great job so far of stocking the cupboard with a ton of young talent. They haven't won anything yet, well neither has Detroit yet people fawn over the job Yzermans done in Detroit so far and Buffalo finished higher in the standings than they did last season after trading their top 2 forwards.

He's had a season and a half of rebuilding, and half a season of seeing if they could win with their rotten core. I'd say based on what he's done and how much the locker room alone has changed he deserves to see this rebuild through.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I don't mind negative comments. It forces me to look at the other side of a subject/issue/topic, but when it's clear that there is an axe to grind, or no true coherent message then i tend to go ahead an ignore.

I get being down on this team, but I don’t get the feeling that this team is worse than the tank teams.

With how some posters are on here, you’d swear this team kicked their dog or whatever.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
To add to my other post - I was not pleased with Adams as the pick to be GM. I was thrilled that they let Botterill go, he was infuriating in his incompetence, but to bring in someone who had so little experience it was easy to get hooked by that. However... the guy has people working for the team enthusiastic about what they are doing. They have players who are saying and doing the right things off the ice. While they aren't there yet one can see for the first time in nearly 20 years that they are moving in the right direction. Being hooked by his experience level for all this time is self-denial of the happiness this bit of the journey can bring.

It's the T-Pegs remix.
I am with you. I felt the exact same way about the adams hire. I thought he was a brown-noser who weaseled his way into the front office. The optics of firing everyone didn't help with that image, either. But he has shown that he (as you said) has the enthusiasm for the job and has a vision. He has surrounded himself with competent people. I have since shifted my opinion - Adams may be a suck up, but i think it's more likely that he knows how to communicate with the pegula's in a way that they feel content and confident in adams approach, while adams himself is able to give himself a long leash as a result.

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
I just hope that they fire him, if we're still at the bottom and not improving. And not to be stuck with him as GM no matter what because the Pegulas like him.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
One of the things Adams did, and his presser just reminded me of this, that i did not like is hire Appert. I get that Appert has done a good job creating a close knit group in the locker room, but i don't think the Amerks are as good as they could/should be. And before anyone says it, while we did have a (unexpectedly) deep playoff run, some of those games were brutal in terms of stats.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
One of the things Adams did, and his presser just reminded me of this, that i did not like is hire Appert. I get that Appert has done a good job creating a close knit group in the locker room, but i don't think the Amerks are as good as they could/should be. And before anyone says it, while we did have a (unexpectedly) deep playoff run, some of those games were brutal in terms of stats.
Appert wasn't hired to win games. He was hired to develop players.

The biggest issue with the Amerks last season was on D. And what was the group in Rochester last year that had the fewest prospects? D.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Appert wasn't hired to win games. He was hired to develop players.

The biggest issue with the Amerks last season was on D. And what was the group in Rochester last year that had the fewest prospects? D.
I appreciate the added context. I will pay closer attention this year to see if the on ice product improves at all. I am still skeptical though

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Do you not understand what the terms prospect means?

Of course they haven't played NHL games, they are prospects.

We have the number rated prospect pool in the entire NHL. IMO, the most important part of a GM is finding young talent. According to multiple sources, Adams has done that better than almost all teams in the league.

Like I said in my post, if these prospects don't turn out, that's on the coaches. I would rather get rid of the coaches that ruined the prospects and keep the guy the found the prospects that made them the number rated in league. The current coach, I wouldn't even put on Adams. It kind of just fell into place.

You don't grade a GMs drafting acumen based off of winning prospect lists. That is almost always a function of drafting high and drafting often.

You grade a GMs drafting acumen on players that become regular contributors, not being highly rated prospects.

We are 2-3 years out to be able to even start to look at grading Adam's 1st draft.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
You don't grade a GMs drafting acumen based off of winning prospect lists. That is almost always a function of drafting high and drafting often.

You grade a GMs drafting acumen on players that become regular contributors, not being highly rated prospects.

We are 2-3 years out to be able to even start to look at grading Adam's 1st draft.

You realize he was in the last year of his deal, so without and extension you would have never graded his 1st draft with him still being the GM.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
The bottom line is that Adams is the Pegulas guy.

Murray and Botts were guys that NHL people steered the Pegulas to and neither worked out.

Adams was the guy that had been in house for a decade, loyally working and succeeding at any task given him. They can trust Adams to openly communicate with them and follow the plan. They want a “One Buffalo” with both franchises feeding off of each other. Adams is the guy that is open to listen to everyone and bring people together.

It is not about wins and losses so far it is about finally having their guy in place and doing things the right way. Adams has hired the right people around him and is building through the draft which should result in a long stretch of success. Time will tell but I like the job Adams has done so far.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
One thing not talked about too much yet, but I think is a big deal in this extension, is the message it just sent to the current players and prospects.

For good or bad, the players now know that this staff will be in place for some time. That gives the coaching and development staff a lot more clout as well. So, players will know it is safe to follow direction knowing their future performance will be judged by the current staff. They can feel fairly confident that the team will see things through with them.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
What is this wizardry in Buffalo going on right now? Competent GMs on the Bills and the Sabres at the same time? I don't know how to feel.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Yeah, there is a disconnect with overall performance and it seems to boil down to Appert's inability to build in defensive structure. They are all afterburner with regards to the offensive side but their d-zone play and leaves me wanting a lot more.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Two more reasons why I think giving Adams an extension right now is the right call.

Buffalo Norsemen

Mar 7, 2019
Sportsplex
He's done pretty well. A few hiccups, but looking at the big picture- things are looking bright. Im fine with him guiding the ship for a few more years to see if he can turn this young team into a contender.

It's a good change of pace for me because Im usually calling for the GM's head at this point in their tenure, haha.
perhaps he will become president of hockey ops down the road and Karmonos g.m. ?

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
I get being down on this team, but I don’t get the feeling that this team is worse than the tank teams.

With how some posters are on here, you’d swear this team kicked their dog or whatever.

The issue is beyond GMKA. He has done well with what he has so far. The larger issue is whether the Pegulas have lost their taste for spending and how involved they will be. Or maybe just Terry given Kim is ill (and let's all wish her well).

What I see this year is Tage Thompson signed long-term which is a positive sign. albeit maybe we grind him down $500,000 to $750,000 K on that contract.

But why on earth, with all our cap room, didn't we go out and get a better goalie than Anderson? Comrie. Why not. Worth the risk. Where is the depth centre you could have signed for one year at $2.5 M or maybe one more RD depth piece?

None of these are Adams issues. If he is able to finesse the Pegulas, then he actually is the best person for the job.

Managing the Pegulas is as much a part of the GM job as anything.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Hopefully this extension shows all people with the letter Y in the place of another vowel in their name can achieve their hopes and dreams......

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
On the prospect goalies:
I don’t believe any GM can get Portillo to come when Levi is signing here at the same time.

If you’re job had only 32 places to work…and you were the sixth or seventh best guy in your class…and the guy who was say…3rd in the class took one of the jobs…and there’s were 25 of those places to work where no one better than you in your class was. You’d be an idiot to take a job where one was when you can go anywhere.

It’s about development. There’s only one net in Rochester. Both guys need to play more than half the games or it is detrimental to their development. Portillo could have had the net this year and said no. Next year Levi will have the net. He will walk into someone else’s as their top prospect at the AHL level. He would be foolish not to for his own development let alone opportunity. And it would be bad for Levi if he did sign. He needs the net.
I think this is the right take. The challenge which then falls to Adams / Karmanos is to try as hard as possible to maximize trade value for the rights to the prospect goalie which doesn't sign (assuming that will be Portillo). Same thing with Ryan Johnson if we assume he wants to go out West to his father's organization / closer to home. Although admittedly, and as discussed in their respective individual prospect threads, the Sabres have near-zero leverage to either sign them, or obtain any value in trade for their rights.

On the timing of the Adams extension:
What's the rush? [edit: to extend Adams]
and...
Thank you Mr. Kyle Dubas.
Just a shot across the Leaf's bow by the Sabres. (Dubas hasn't been offered an extension, talked about it publicly yesterday.)

On the pessimistic takes the extension was either premature, or unwarranted:
We have seen 3 Adams draft picks play at the NHL level.

Three.

They have played a total of 12 games.

Let's talk about his drafting in 5 years.

In the end, it's the Pegula's cash and it doesn't affect the salary cap, so i guess they can waste it if they want.
(and)

If not done now, there are (3) alternatives.
1) Extend him in the 2023 offseason.
2) Release him in the 2023 offseason.
3) Fire him now (or between now and the 2023 offseason).

#2, #3 require Karmanos or another person to take the helm. That assumes a better alternative is available, and, the transition will not be a 1-step forward / 2-steps back outcome.

Extending Adams contract supports your oft-stated desire for Pegulas to reduce or stop meddling in hockey decisions / operations. Why not be happy? Or are you trying to have it both ways?

On the "hidden message" or "reading between the lines":
Personally, I like the patience and stability this extension gives the team. There has been too much turnover since the Pegulas took over. Adams has proven enough for me at this point to say that giving him an extension beyond this season makes sense. He was likely entering the last year of a three year deal. To give him a vote of confidence in where the organization and the team is headed is appropriate at this time.
(and)
One thing not talked about too much yet, but I think is a big deal in this extension, is the message it just sent to the current players and prospects.

For good or bad, the players now know that this staff will be in place for some time. That gives the coaching and development staff a lot more clout as well. So, players will know it is safe to follow direction knowing their future performance will be judged by the current staff. They can feel fairly confident that the team will see things through with them.
These were my immediate thoughts when I saw the thread title, before reading the comments from all here. To not extend, whether it was now, or at end of this season, would have been a huge question mark for everyone in the organization with the possible exception of Skinner & Okposo.

On the real possibility this will turn out to be a bad move:
I just hope that they fire him, if we're still at the bottom and not improving. And not to be stuck with him as GM no matter what because the Pegulas like him.
(and)
Well thats a pessimistic outlook sir. But I get it.
I get it too. But, I think the chances of it being a good move far exceed that of being a bad move. Maybe 75% good move, 25% bad move. But I come back to the eventuality that a better candidate needs to be available and willing to come to BUF. (and...)

I am with you. I felt the exact same way about the adams hire. I thought he was a brown-noser who weaseled his way into the front office. The optics of firing everyone didn't help with that image, either. But he has shown that he (as you said) has the enthusiasm for the job and has a vision. He has surrounded himself with competent people. I have since shifted my opinion - Adams may be a suck up, but i think it's more likely that he knows how to communicate with the pegula's in a way that they feel content and confident in adams approach, while adams himself is able to give himself a long leash as a result.
I think he comes across as a genuine WNY'er. ("Authentic" in Pegula lingo.) That likely matters a lot to Pegulas, more than we may appreciate.

Another possible factor - and I'm speculating - is Jessie Pegula is ranked top-10 in women's tennis singles and doubles, seems to be rising or holding steady, and is 28 years old. If there is any time since the Pegulas bought the Sabres / Bills / etc., for them to put their teams in the hands of others in order to follow / focus / aid their daughter, the time is now.

Reactions: Jim Bob

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
But why on earth, with all our cap room, didn't we go out and get a better goalie than Anderson? Comrie. Why not. Worth the risk. Where is the depth centre you could have signed for one year at $2.5 M or maybe one more RD depth piece?

Because even though you and a couple of others see these as critical mistakes, Adams isn't concerned and at this point neither am I.

These same points have been rehashed ad nauseam in other threads so hopefully we don't go again here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad