Confirmed with Link: Kevin Westgarth Added To TC Roster

dobiezeke*

Perhaps we see Gordon as the 3C and Hendricks as the 4C? Maybe I'm reading too much into this and this is only a temporary thing, but if we sign Westgarth I could see us playing a two headed monster on the 4th line similar to what Calgary has done in the recent past.

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Perron-Draisaitl-Yakupov (soft minutes)
Pouliot-Gordon-Purcell (checking line)
Gazdic-Hendricks-Westgarth

So you would have a team with a line that plays soft minutes and a line that in many games plays virtually no minutes. Yikes.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
^^^Bryan, the NHL has changed too much to carry two enforcers in a lineup. Simply can't be done when you're only carrying 14 forwards at most.

Unless you meant sign him and waive him to OKC so there's a puncher to take Gazdic's spot if he gets hurt.

Hope, I'd have Westgarth on the big club. I'd have at least one of Gazdic or Westgarth in the line-up every night unless we are playing teams without even light heavies.

So you would have a team with a line that plays soft minutes and a line that in many games plays virtually no minutes. Yikes.

And why would they play no minutes? There's no reason that line can't play at least 5 ES minutes a game.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Westgarth didn't look bad at all tonight. I'm pretty sure all the people saying he was garbage just want him to play poorly.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Westgarth didn't look bad at all tonight. I'm pretty sure all the people saying he was garbage just want him to play poorly.

I didn't see any of the games unfortunately but some people just hate players that make most of their living due to being physical players and dropping the mitts.

McGlassbangers

Jul 13, 2009
McFinland

Agreed. I expected to see an absolute plug but he was surprisingly good, especially on forecheck. He is also a lot faster than I thought.

I wanted to see more physicality from him though.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
I didn't see any of the games unfortunately but some people just hate players that make most of their living due to being physical players and dropping the mitts.

Yep. This board expects tough guys to be 20-20 guys on the fourth line, and when they aren't they get **** all over.

Agreed. I expected to see an absolute plug but he was surprisingly good, especially on forecheck. He is also a lot faster than I thought.

I wanted to see more physicality from him though.

Yeah I agree, a little more physicality would have been nice, but all around that game had very little of it.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I agree. He looked decent. OK, maybe not decent, but at least better than I expected.
I recall several shifts where he was difficult to move off the puck down low in the Flames zone. And his skating isn't horrid.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
That's because those players usually suck at actual hockey.:teach:

I think that is the reason that some of those that crap on them do, however it seems like some are hung up on the fighting part a little too much for that to be the whole story IMO.

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I think that is the reason that some of those that crap on them do, however it seems like some are hung up on the fighting part a little too much for that to be the whole story IMO.

nope not me. I don't have a problem with players who can both play and fight like Iginla, Wayne Simmonds, Scott Hartnell. Heck even Antoine Roussell and Chris Neil would be fine.

I just have an issue with a player who can fight but hurts the team when he's on the ice. Was Luke Gazdic the worst player on the Oilers roster last year? yes, yes he was. That kind of guy.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
nope not me. I don't have a problem with players who can both play and fight like Iginla, Wayne Simmonds, Scott Hartnell. Heck even Antoine Roussell and Chris Neil would be fine.

I just have an issue with a player who can fight but hurts the team when he's on the ice. Was Luke Gazdic the worst player on the Oilers roster last year? yes, yes he was. That kind of guy.

Fair enough, the problem is that there are far fewer of those guys around let alone a Lucic. I think that there is still a role for these types of players but if we had a team with Lucic, Chara, McQuaid, etc. I could see the reason for not having an everyday 4th line fighter.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012

Not sure how you can talk about a guy like Gazdic without talking about fighting. Without fighting, he and others like him would be out of a job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad