Kevin Stevens arrested on drug distribution charges

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014
Is there no control system with what doctors prescribe in america

Doctors shouldn't be excessively controlled by people who aren't doctors. The majority of people prescribed opiates for long term pain control don't become addicted. There has to be some level of personal responsibility for those who aren't able to control their use. Recognize a problem developing and do something about it. It's sad for the people who are negatively affected, but restricting a doc's ability to prescribe narcotics would do more harm than good, despite the few docs who do indeed prescribe irresponsibly. The alternative is forcing everyone to live with debilitating pain

Sad story here, regardless.

Last edited:

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
Doctors shouldn't be excessively controlled by people who aren't doctors. The majority of people prescribed opiates for long term pain control don't become addicted. There has to be some level of personal responsibility for those who aren't able to control their use. Recognize a problem developing and do something about it. It's sad for the people who are negatively affected, but restricting a doc's ability to prescribe narcotics would do more harm than good, despite the few docs who do indeed prescribe irresponsibly. The alternative is forcing everyone to live with debilitating pain

Sad story here, regardless.

everybody prescribed long term high dose opiods for pain management becomes addicted. It's a physical addiction, there's no avoiding it. You're spreading incorrect information. The majority of people who are prescribed them don't go above and beyond prescribed dose, but they are physically addicted.

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014
everybody prescribed long term high dose opiods for pain management becomes addicted. It's a physical addiction, there's no avoiding it. You're spreading incorrect information. The majority of people who are prescribed them don't go above and beyond prescribed dose, but they are physically addicted.

No I'm not.
http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMra1507771#source of the opioid epidemic
"There is lingering misunderstanding among some physicians about the important differences between physical dependence and addiction. The repeated administration of any opioid almost inevitably results in the development of tolerance and physical dependence. These predictable phenomena reflect counter-adaptations in opioid receptors and their intracellular signaling cascades.29 These short-term results of repeated opioid administration resolve rapidly after discontinuation of the opioid (i.e., in a few days to a few weeks, depending on the duration of exposure, type of opioid, and dose). In contrast, addiction will occur in only a small percentage of patients exposed to opioids. Addiction develops slowly, usually only after months of exposure.."

Earlier in the article, "but 3 to 4% of the adult population (9.6 million to 11.5 million persons) were prescribed longer-term opioid therapy"
"Although published estimates of iatrogenic (caused by treatment) addiction vary substantially from less than 1% to more than 26% of cases,100 part of this variability is due to confusion in definition. Rates of carefully diagnosed addiction have averaged less than 8% in published studies, whereas rates of misuse, abuse, and addiction-related aberrant behaviors have ranged from 15 to 26%"
Bolded mine

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
No I'm not.
http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMra1507771#source of the opioid epidemic
"There is lingering misunderstanding among some physicians about the important differences between physical dependence and addiction. The repeated administration of any opioid almost inevitably results in the development of tolerance and physical dependence. These predictable phenomena reflect counter-adaptations in opioid receptors and their intracellular signaling cascades.29 These short-term results of repeated opioid administration resolve rapidly after discontinuation of the opioid (i.e., in a few days to a few weeks, depending on the duration of exposure, type of opioid, and dose). In contrast, addiction will occur in only a small percentage of patients exposed to opioids. Addiction develops slowly, usually only after months of exposure.."

Earlier in the article, "but 3 to 4% of the adult population (9.6 million to 11.5 million persons) were prescribed longer-term opioid therapy"
"Although published estimates of iatrogenic (caused by treatment) addiction vary substantially from less than 1% to more than 26% of cases,100 part of this variability is due to confusion in definition. Rates of carefully diagnosed addiction have averaged less than 8% in published studies, whereas rates of misuse, abuse, and addiction-related aberrant behaviors have ranged from 15 to 26%"
Bolded mine

Don't take your pills tomorrow, and tell me you're not physically addicted. The first paragraph talks about repeated short term doses, with long term high dosage opiates everyone will have physical withdrawals after years of use, even at Dr recommended dosages, that's why people need to be weaned off. Some people can have physical withdrawals after a few day, others a few months, but after years of use you will have symptoms. The part you failed to highlight right before the bolded shows they aren't talking about long term high dosages.

To be clear I'm not talking about taking Loritabs 3x a day, I'm talking morphine, oxycontin, fentanyl. People keep wanting to push this narrative that it's the addicts fault, like there's some inherent flaw that makes them become dependent that others don't have. And while part of it is definitely genetic, telling people it's OK because you don't have a problem doesn't help. Maybe you have the one in a million gene that says you don't get physical symptoms after long term exposure, but you also said you take your dose everyday as prescribed. If you didn't have them for some reason I doubt you could just be mentally strong enough to deal with it.

Last edited:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Alcohol isn't a huge drug crisis? One in every 12 adults in the US is an alcoholic according to a government study. Alcohol is the biggest drug problem there is by a hundred miles.

This is probably according to the official guidelines? Which at least in my country claim that risk usage limit for males is at 7 portions in a day or 24 portions in a week, one portion equaling to one shot or one bottle of beer or equivalent.

A car factory recently went into a hiring spree and had the unsuspecting applicants fill an online form about this stuff among others (without a step-back option) and then it flagged red on everyone who ever owned to effectively having had a six-back in one night, requiring a commitment to steer away from the excess consumption.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I never went above Dr prescribed dose, I never had to fill a script early, I took exactly what was prescribed until they weren't prescribed anymore and I was left with nothing. The other poster claims he's not addicted after 10 years of high dose opiods, sorry to inform you both, he is. That's why it took so long to decrease dosage by 25%.

It's semantics, perhaps also a variation in how language is used in the uk. I said I was dependant on the opioids, it's a physical dependency, no doubt. However it controlled and properly managed, hence the term 'addicted' isn't appropriate. It's an important distinction as addiction brings with it a whole additional set of behaviours.

Granted, if I run short of my medication, I go into a bit of a panic as I know I'd quickly be in a mess without the tablets. However regardless of how I feel physically or emotionally, I NEVER take additional doses as I'm very aware how easily it could get out of control.

Like I said, semantics. Your points about the effect of the drugs is completely valid.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
I will say, from the experience of having buried a close friend in the last year, if you or anyone you know has a problem with drug/alcohol/a combo of the two, PLEASE do all you can to get them help.

The only weight heavier than feeling like I could have done more, was the weight of carrying the casket to his final resting place.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I was in a playoff pool for the 91-92 season I think it was.
I drafted Gretzky (knocked out in first round) and traded him for Kevin Stevens (28) points and Brian Leetch and 25% more cash than the entrance fee for the pool.
So, I walked out of there with 25% more money than I walked in with and ended up winning the pool too!

edit ... a new rule was put in the following year that cash could not be a part of the deals.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
KEVIN PAUL DUPONT
Former NHL star Kevin Stevens putting his life back together

Stevens and Kelly, dating back to the arrest, continually made the case, to the media and the court, that Stevens’s addiction woes date to a horrific on-ice accident in 1993, the days when he was the game’s premier left winger with the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Knocked cold on his feet, an unconscious Stevens crashed face-first into the ice, shattering many of his facial bones. During a one-month stay in the hospital following surgery to reconstruct his face, Stevens contends, he became addicted to the prescription painkillers percocet and vicodin, identifying that as the trigger to his catastrophic downward spiral.

“I had 27 good years till then,†said Stevens, who played a half-season with the Bruins (1995-96) as part of his 15-year NHL career. “And then I had 25 really [expletive] bad years. Normal people would say, ‘Kev, what are you doing? Stop!’ But I couldn’t. Once that compulsion, that obsession, is set off in your brain, there’s no stopping it.â

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad